IFAD Projects Bring
SRI to Burundi's Karusi and Ngozi Provinces
International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) President Kanayo F. Nwanzelors and the second Vice President of the Republic of Burundi M. Gervais Rufyikiri recently visited two IFAD projects in the provinces of Karusi (central Burundi) and Ngozi (northern Burundi).
More than 2,600 farmers, including 50% women, have been applying System of Rice Intensification (SRI) methods on 150 hectares of marsh area in Nyabiho, Gitaramuka commune, Karusi province under the IFAD-funded PAIVA-B project (Projet d'appui à l'intensification et à la valorisation agricoles du Burundi) that supports agricultural intensification in Burundi. The beneficiaries, who have also formed a rice cooperative, said that yields have increased dramatically with SRI from one ton to five tons/hectare. They also use three hectares for seed multiplication.
Nwanzelors and Rufyikiri also visited the 94-hectare marsh area of Kigoma in Ngozi province, which will be developed under SRI in 2012 with IFAD financing. As of now, six hectares are already being used to produce high quality seeds with the SRI method under the IFAD funded PRODEFI (Programme de développement des filières). (See article in Afriquinfos and item on the website of Burundi's president for more information.)
The video SRI in East in Southern Africa includes an interview with one of the farmers who adopted SRI in Karusi's Rusimbuko marsh after learning about it through the PAIVA-B project. The photo at right shows Mathilde (left side of photo), one of the farmers sent to Rwanda to learn about SRI, explaining the benefits of SRI to one of the local farmers interested in trying out the methods for herself.
- Saint-Ange, Perin. 2013. System of Rice Intensification. International Fund for Development website. February. [See also the resources section on adoption of SRI that describes and links to videos on farmers spreading SRI in Burundi, Madagascar and Rwanda.]
- Rappocciolo, Francesca. 2012. Spreading the system of rice intensification across East and Southern Africa: Case Study. International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) website. November. (16p. pdf) [Case study on the International Fund for Agricultural Development's progress with promoting SRI in Madagascar, Rwanda and Burundi.]
- 2012. Smallholders fulfil their households' needs with a new way of farming rice. International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) website. [article links to Seeds of Innovation - East and Southern Africa Project bulletin (December 2012)]
- 2012. Le FIDA s'implique dans la vulgarisation du système de riziculture intensive au Burundi. Afriquinfos, March 31. [Source: Xinhua]
- Simbaruhije, Melchior. 2012. Le Deuxième Vice-Président de la République et le Président du FIDA visitent les réalisations des projets financés par le FIDA à Ngozi et Karusi. Présidence de la République website. April 2.
- 2012. Récits recueillis sur le terrain. Rural Poverty Portal website. March. (8p. pdf)] [This document about International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) projects in Burundi refers to doubling of yields from 5 to 10 tons/ha with SRI on page 6]
- 2012 (March 3). SRI in East and Southern Africa. 8:09 min. FloodedCellar channel, YouTube. [Video on SRI knowledge spreading from Madagascar into Rwanda and Burundi.]