February 1-28, 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• Website: Statistics for February 2013: 7,339 visitors (3,725 last month) from 114 countries made 9,298 visits (4,969 last month) to our website. The following is a record of items that were either linked to or directly uploaded during this period.
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See February activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff, students and advisors
Articles that are starred (*) below in the In the Press and Blog Posts sections refer in some way to a Feb. 16 article (India's rice revolution) by John Vidal in the Guardian / Sunday Observer about a farmer in Bihar who got yield over 20 tons/ha using SRI methods in 2011.)
- * India's rice revolution: Chinese scientist questions massive harvests
February 23, 2013, The Guardian / Observer (Great Britain, re: India)
- * Chinese whispers over rice record - Scientist questions Nalanda farmer paddy yield
February 23, The Telegraph (Re: Bihar, India)
- * China rice pot and Indian kettle boil
February 22, The Telegraph (Re: Bihar, India)
- * Another revolution in agriculture underway? [Good discussion on the benefits and politics of SRI adoption.]
February 18, 2013, The Daily Kos (USA)
- Green Revolution in South Goa's hinterlands [150 farmers increase yields 70-100% on 50 ha. in Netravali, South Goa, India.]
February 17, 2013, The Times of India (Goa, India)
- * India's rice revolution [Relates how organic SRI farmer in Bihar broke world record for rice yield]
February 16, 2013, The Guardian / Observer (Great Britain, re: India)
- Reaping a good harvest [Two Nagaland SRI farmers won the 2011-2012 Krishi Karman Awards and received Rs.1 lakh and a citation each for their contribution in grain production.]
February 16, 2013, Sunday Post (Nagaland, India)
- New techniques to help ryots reap bumper crop [SRI and SSI promoted by NADP in Vellore District.]
February 9, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Conventional samba variety revived yield [NABARD helps revive Chandigarh samba variety; Pudukottai District farmer uses SRI uses with it.]
February 9, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Efficient rice growing technology yet to find takers [but 300 farmers in 65 villages between Sheikhupura and Sialkot have adopted the SRI in the last 5 years through Lok Sanjh Foundation training.]
February 5, 2013, Express Tribune (Pakistan)
- Scarcity spurs water budgeting [6 districts in water security plan; water users’ assn. pres., says SRI use also reduced seed from 30-35kg to 3kg.]
February 4, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Project to guide farmers sustain rice production [Phase III of 2008 "ClimaRice" project (which includes SRI) announced with TNAU implementing in TN and IWMI implementing in AP.]
February 2, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- * Matsuo, Takashi. 2013. Producing more with less through rice intensification method: Is it a revolution or an illusion? Asian Development Blog. February 28.
- * Guardino, Luigi. 2013. MacGyver tackles agricultural research. Agrobiodiversity Weblog. February 26.
- Leggit, Mark. 2013. The record harvests changing lives for impoverished Indian farmers. Earth Times website, Going Green section. February 24.
- Strether, Lambert. 2013. One seed revolution. naked captitalism blog. February 24. [Comments on a 2012 video about SRI by SDTT in India]
- Hoffman, Beth. 2013. Can we revolutionize agriculture without 'science'? Forbes website. February 22.
- * Li, Amy. 2013. China's 'father of rice' throws doubt on Indian record holder. South China Morning Post. February 21. [see related Chinese language article.]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2013. February 2013 Feature: New video series on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Africa - A collaborative effort by IFAD, SRI-Rice, and Flooded Cellar Productions. SRI-Rice website. February 17.
- Saint-Ange, Perin. 2013. System of Rice Intensification. International Fund for Development website. February. [See also the resources section on adoption of SRI that describes and links to videos on farmers spreading SRI in Burundi, Madagascar and Rwanda.]
- * 2013. India: raccolto record di riso da agricoltura contadina e SRI. Ecoblog. February 18. (Italian)
- * Zakaria, Fareed. 2013. What we're reading. CNN World (Fareed Zakaria/GPS) blog. February 18. [Short description of SRI refers to Feb. 16, Guardian article.]
- Brown, Paul. 2013. Climate-friendly rice: End of the paddyfield? Climate News Network website. February 18.
- Land, Graham. 2013. Fantastic farming: India's miracle rice. AsianCorrespondent.com. February 18. [Commentary on SRI/SCI methods following recent news about Bihar SRI yields.]
- * 2013. SRI, of hoe Indiase boeren recordoogsten boeken. DeMorgen/DM website. [Article in Dutch about the record-breaking rice yield with SRI in Bihar, India]
- McDonald, Kay. 2013. Thirty-five water conservation methods for agriculture,farming, and gardening. Part 1 and Part 4. Big Picture Agriculture blog. February 12. [SRI/SCI is #5 in Part I and also mentioned in #30 in part 4].
- Welsing, Anne. 2013. Organic rice from the land of volcanoes: Visiting Emily Sutanto and "her" organic farmers on Java. Oneco (Organic News Community) website. December 20. [accessed by SRI-Rice 2/16/13]
- Vidal, John and Annie Kelley. 2013. Bhutan set to plough lone furrow as world's first wholly organic country. PovertyMatters blog (The Guardian). February 11.
- Suryadi, Y., D. Susilowati, A. Akhdiya, T. S. Kadir, and B. Wibowo. 2013. Efficacy of consortium bacteria for control rice diseases under System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in West Java - Indonesia. Albanian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 12(1): 143-147. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Dastan, S., Gh. Noormohamadi, H. Madani, H. R. Mobasser, and M. Sam Daliri. 2013. Agroecological parameters of Iranian rice genotypes in modified systems. Life Science Journal 10(1s): 219-224. (The document is better viewed as an html doc) [acquired 2/28/13]
- Sridevi, V. and V. Chellamuthu. 2012. Advantages of SRI cultivation in the tail end of Cauvery delta. Journal of Crop and Weed 8(2): 40-44. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Chowdhury, M. R., V. Kumar, and K. Brahmachari. 2012. Effect of different water and nutrient management practices on rice grown under SRI. Journal of Crop and Weed 8(2): 36-39. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Ndiiri, J. A., B. M. Mati, P. G. Home, B. Odongo and N. Uphoff. 2012. Benefit-cost analysis of paddy rice under the System of Rice Intensification in Mwea, Kenya. Paper presented at the 2012 JKUAT Scientific, Technological and Industrialization Conference - Science, November 15-16, in Nairobi, Kenya. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Ly, P., L. S. Jensen, T. B. Bruun, and A. Neergaard. 2012. Methane and nitrous oxide emission from the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) under rainfed lowland ecosystem in Cambodia. Paper presented at the annual Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management (TROPENTAG), September 19-21, in Gottingen, Germany. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Sooksa-Nguan, Thanwalee. 2006. Comparison of bacterial activities and diversity in soil between conventional and the novel rice cultivation: SRI. Ph.D. dissertation, Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand. (126p., 1.75MB pdf) [acquired 2/27/13]
- Feuer, Hart Nadav. 2008. Sustainable agricultural techniques and performance oriented empowerment, an actor-network theory approach to CEDAC agricultural and empowerment programmes in Cambodia. Master of Philosophy thesis, University of Oxford. (116p., 1.0 MB pdf) [acquired 2/27/13]
- Satish, H. S. 2010. Farmers' perceptions, preferences and utilization of SRI and traditional paddy straw for livestock. Master's thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka, India. (74p., 620 KB pdf) [acquired 2/27/13]
- Noltze, M., S. Schwarze, and M. Qaim. 2012. Impacts of natural resource management technologies on agricultural yield, income, and poverty: The System of Rice Intensification in Timor Leste. Paper presented at the annual Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management (TROPENTAG), September 19-21, in Gottingen, Germany. [acquired 2/28/13] (no individual PDF, but the whole proceedings are available in pdf form)
- Kassam, Amir, and Hugh Brammer. 2013. Combining sustainable agricultural production with economic and environmental benefits. The Geographical Journal 179(1): 11-18. doi:10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00465.x [acquired 2/28/13]
- Thakur, Amod Kumar, Sreelata Rath, Krishna Gopal Mandal. 2013. Differential responses of system of rice intensification (SRI) and conventional flooded-rice management methods to applications of nitrogen fertilizer. Plant and Soil (SpringerLink). doi:10.1007/s11104-013-1612-5 [acquired 2/11/13]
- Choi, J. D., W. J. Park, K. W. Park and K. J. Lim. 2013. Feasibility of SRI methods for reduction of irrigation and NPS pollution in Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 241-248. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0311-9
- Noltze, Martin, Stefan Schwarze, and Matin Qaim. 2013. Impacts of natural resource management technologies on agricultural yield and household income: The system of rice intensification in Timor Leste. Ecological Economics 85: 59-68. doi:10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.10.009
- Singh, Y. V. 2013. Crop and water productivity as influenced by rice cultivation methods under organic and inorganic sources of nutrient supply. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 531-542. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0346-y
- Suryavanshi, Priyanka, Y. V. Singh, R. Prasanna, Arti. Bhatia, and Y. S. Shivay. 2013. Pattern of methane emission and water productivity under different methods of rice crop establishment. Paddy and Water Environment 11 (1-4): 321-329. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0323-5
- Palanisami, K., K. R. Karunakaran, Upali Amarasinghe, C. R. Ranganathan. 2013. Doing different things or doing it differently? Rice intensification practices in 13 states of India. Economic & Political Weekly 48(8): 51-58. [accessed 2/16/13] [A macro-level study covering 13 major rice-growing shows that fields grown with SRI have a higher yield average, higher gross margins, and lower production costs than non-SRI fields, although only 20% adopted all the SRI components.]
- Jenkins, Devon, Stephanie Tack, and Erika Styger. 2013. System of Rice Intensification regional training 11-13 September, 2012 - Kakanitchoé (Ouémé), Rep. of Benin. System of Rice Intensification website. (26p.,1.19MB pdf)
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages. For docs uploaded
during the past 12 months, check also 2012 news archives.
- Video: 2013 (February 21). Experience of the Tata trusts in promoting system of rice intensification (SRI) by Biswanath Sinha. 22.24 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). Analysis of SRI practices in 13 states of India by K Palanisami . 24.22 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). Promoting SRI among adivasi farmers by Sukumar and Niraj Joshi . 15.11 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). 'The drivers of success and failure for SRI in Chattisgarh' by Dinesh Marothia. 23.42 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Audio-Slideshow. 2013 (February 15). India's Rice Revolution. 4:44 min. Produced by Vidal and Jim Powell. The Guardian, global development section. [Norman Uphoff narrates slideshow about SRI's success in Bihar and elsewhere.]
- Gujja, Biksham. 2013. "More with Less" - The Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative (SSI) in India and Beyond: Experience & Future Directions. Presentation at SRI-Rice Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. February 8. 40 slides. [uploaded 2/15/13]
- Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Integrating Agroecological Crop Management within Integrated Water Resource Management: Lessons from Experience with the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Presentation at the 2nd Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development. Punta del Este, Uruguay, at the CTA Side-Event on 'Partnerships for Research, Capacity Building, Innovation and Foresighting: Managing Water for Agriculture and Food in ACP Countries.' October 28. 31 slides. [uploaded 2/10/13]