Home > Current News and Resources
2013 NEWS AND LATEST RESOURCES
News from other years:
[2013 addtions are also available by month]
- Nabard pushing for low-cost drinking water in State [Nabard will help promote SRI in Karnataka. SRI project showcased in Kundapur.]
December 5, 2013, The Hindu (Karnataka, India)
- Farmers urged to cultivate traditional crops [Tiruvarur district farmers share info on traditional rice varieties]
December 3, 2103, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmers of two Zambo Sur towns undergo management training [200 farmers from two municipalities in Zamboanga del Sur hope to increase yield by 20 percent with SRI.]
December 2, 2013, Business Mirror (Zamboanga del Sur, Philippines)
- Paddy scales new height on ex-MLA's farm [SRI methods used with traditional to cultivate Kattuyanam variety]
December 2, 2013, New Indian Express (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Helicopter glitch delays central team's Saranda visit [SHG's to get training in SRI]
November 28, 2013, Times of India (Jharkhand, India)
- Pertanian Indonesia tak lagi bisa bertumpu pada sapi dan kerbau [Indonesian Deputy Minister of Ag promotes SRI]
November 25, 2013, Kompas, economy section (Indonesia)
- Climate-smart farming could help reduce 'emissions gap' - experts
November 17, 2013, Thomson Reuters Foundation (SRI reference re: Kenya: Reporting from Warsaw climate change talks).
- Protecting Tanzania's farmers from weather extremes [Climate Smart FAO/Sokoine project can triple yields with SRI.]
November 14, Inter Press Service (Morogoro, Tanzania)
Rice farmers go back to school in Myanmar's Kachin state [SRI continues to move via FFS in Kachin state.
November 11, 2013, Thomson Reuters Foundation (Myanmar)
- Farming is now part of CSR [Goa Institute of Management students work with ICAR and KVK on CSR projects that include SRI in Goa]
November 4, 2013, The Hindu (Goa, India)
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University experiments with drip irrigation in paddy cultivation
October 17, 2013, The Times of India (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Tanzania: Rice growers in Kilombero smile all the way to the bank
October 13, 2013, Tanzania Daily News (Tanzania)
- Alih fungsi lahan pertanian di Kab. Bandung capai 30 hektar per tahun [A SRI harvest festival on Oct. 8 in Bojongsari, Bandung regency, highlighted SRI yield increases. There are 300 ha. of SRI in 10 districts of Bandung Regency]
October 8, 2013, Pikiran Rakyat (Bandung, Indonesia)
- Drought-hit Bihar unlikely to achieve record paddy target [Though drought will reduce rice yield, Bihar had 87 lakh ton in 2012-13 thanks to SRI method.]
October 4, 2013, Daily News (NY, Re:Bihar, India)
- Jharsuguda district: Woman reaps success
September 30, 2013, Times of India (Odisha, India)
- Demonstration on SRI at Mon [NSFM field day at Tenang Project, Mon, Nagaland]
September 27, 2013, Morumg Express (Nagaland, India)
- Năng suất lúa gần 70 tạ/ha [3 communes planted 30 ha of organic SRI]
September 27, 2013, Phú Yên Online (Vietnam)
- DAO Wokha conducts one-day training on IPM [SRI training in Wokha District, Nagaland]
September 15, Morung Express (Nagaland, India)
- Family farmers can feed the world - Why are we looking elsewhere?
Septmeber 10, 2013, Thanh Nein (Vietnam)
- Single rice seedling research boosts yields [National University of Laos faculty, the Institute of Rural Landscape researchers from Japan and Lao agricultural officials met to discuss the SRI achievements of SRI.]
September 10, 2013, Vientiane Times (Laos)
- Goa hikes area of SRI rice cultivation this year [Dept. of Agriculture targets 1,000 ha. for SRI in Goa]
September 9, 2013, Times of India (Goa, India)
- One day farmers training on IPM held at Tobu
September 7, 2013, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- Rice intensification method getting popular [In TN's Krishnagiri district 688 of 762 villages have adopted SRI. Average yield of 9.2 t/ha are 50% higher than conventional.]
September 5, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Awareness rally [Industries Minister leads SRI rally: SRI targe for Namakkal District in Tamil Nadu is 10,200 acres.]
September 2, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Madagascar town tries Millenium Model [70% of Millenium Village in Madagascar using SRI.]
August 22, 2013, allAfrica (Madagascar)
- Farmers harvest success from system that needs less water [SRI adopted in over 60 per cent ‘kuruvai’ paddy area in Tiruchi distict. State govt. to provide pumps and inputs and plans promotion of SRI in 84 villages.]
August 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- SSI sweetens deal for sugarcane growers [Ag. Dept, who says SSI can double yields from 40 to 80 tons/acre, hopes to cover 1,125 acres with SSI methods together with subsidized drip irrigation in Tamil Nadu's Tiruchi district.]
August 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmers harvest success from system that needs less water
August 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Out of Africa
August 18, 2013, Business Line (India)
- Produksi beras Parepare capai 88.247 ton
August 17, 2013, Fajar Makassar (Sulawesi Selatan, Indonesia)
- State achieves record rice output of 86 lakh tonnes
August 14, 2013, The Times of India (Odisha, India)
- Farmers of West Bengal, Chhatisgarh, Uttarakhand adopt Ambuja Cement Foundation's SRI method of farming
August 8, 2013, Economic Times (Kolkata, India re: West Bengal, Chhatisgarh, Uttarakhand)
- Metode SRI siap diaplikasikan di 100 idesa miskin
August 9, 2013, SuaraMerdeka (Yogyakarta,Indonesia)
- Rice farmers embrace wet planting technique
August 8, 2013, Business Daily (Kenya)
- In tribal Malkangiri, women leaders take on hunger
August 4, 2013, Kashmir Times (Kashmir, India)
- KWT NU berhasil budidaya padi organik
August 1, 2013, Pontianak Post (West Kalimantan, Indonesia)
- UGM ajak warga kreatif tingkatkan hasil panen
July 29, 2013, Okezone.com (Jogjakarta, Indonesia)
- Agro-farming changes lifestyles
July 26, 2013, Times of India (Jharkhand, India)
- District receives more rain this monsoon season when compared to previous year [SRI suggested to limit resource consumption.]
July 16, 2013, The Times of India (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Kuruvai crop on 26,000 hectares in Tiruvarur [7,318 ha of 12,134 paddy was planted with SRI so far this season in the Thiruvarur District of Tamil Nadu. Dept. of Agriculture is promoting SRI here through NSFM.]
July 15, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- KVK hosts demonstration program on SRI
July 12, 2013, Echo of Arunanchal (Arunachal Pradesh, India)
- New rice initiative expands in Haiti
July 10, 2013, Cornell Chronicle (New York, USA)
- Rice cultivation machinery displayed at TNAU
July 6, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Kementan selalu menyalahkan keterbatasan lahan [Minister of Agriculture mentions SRI among other ideas to deal with stagnant rice production]
July 2, 2013, Neraca (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Experts to learn Bihar farmers' innovative paddy growing method [Agriculture scientists from Uttar Pradesh and the Directorate of Rice Development to visit Bihar's Nalanda district to learn about SRI]
July 2, 2013, News Track India (Bihar, India)
- Rain revives hopes of good harvest in Garhwa
July 1, 2013, Times of India (Jharkhand, India)
- Initiating into farming [Approximately 100 students are being trained in SRI in Saligao, Goa.]
June 30, 2013, Navhind Times (Goa, India)
- Hebat, petani bahas pemanasan global
June 26, 2013, Padang Eskpres (Sumatera Barat, Indonesia)
Rice and food security: Bhola Man Singh Basnet [Growing more with less discussed as Nepal's National Rice Day approaches]
June, 25, 2013, Gorkapatra Online (Nepal)
- Farmers slowly adopting SRI method for cultivation of paddy [Over 500 farmers across Goa have adopted SRI since with overall 30-35% yield increase.]
June 17, 2013, Navhind Times (Goa, India)
- Demonstration on vermi-compost held
June 16, 2013, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- Haiti - agriculture: System of Rice Intensification in the north
June 15, 2013, Haiti Libre (Haiti)
- Training on NSFM launched
June 10, 2013, Morung Express (Nagaland, India)
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University launched Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative
June 10, 2013, Jagran Josh (Tamil Nadu, India) [See similar June 8 article in The Economic Times.]
- Crop intensification system fetches better yield, says former UAS V-C
June 10, 2013, The New India Express (Karnataka, India)
- Productivity of 50,000 acres of sugarcane fields to be improved: official
June 9, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- It's time for 'second crop' revolution
June 9, 2013, Time of India (Maharashtra, India)
- TNAU unveils sustainable sugarcane initiative news
June 8, 2013, domain-b (Tamil Nadu, India)
- TN agri varsity launches sustainable sugarcane initiative
June 8, 2013, Business Line (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Rice planting system promises better yield [Article from a press conference at Central Bicol State Univ. of Agriculture in the Philippines]
June 7, 2013, Bicol Mail (Camarines Sur, Philippines) [see also June 9 article in Inquirer News]
- Filipino rice farmers urged to follow India
May 24, 2013, Philippine Daily Inquirer (Manila, Philippines)
- India returns to world rice market with a bang [Annual minimum support price for growers, sustained procurement by govt agencies, hybrid rice promotion and SRI have combined to spur production.]
May 9, 2013, Business Line
- Haryana plan for 2013-14 finalized [Haryana State Plan recommends SRI -para. 4]
May 6, 2013, India Press Bureau
- Big dreams for small farmers
- Systematic crop intensification rewrites agricultural production with little water [Bihar family uses SCI for wheat, paddy and other crops.]
May 6, 2013, The Telegraph (Bihar, India)
- In Cambodia, Uphoff touts SRI successes
May 2, 2013, Cornell Chronicle (New York, re: Cambodia)
- Ramnad farmer blazes new trail [First Ramanthapuram farmer with single bud chip sugarcane nursery fexplains how he is profitting from SSI methods]
April 30, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
He spends less to net more [National Agro Foundation (NAF) helps young farmer make ends meet with SRI]
April 28, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Bihar to produce 100 lakh tonnes paddy this year [Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to launch a SRIvidhi mahaabhiyan (major campaign) April 24 to create more SRI awareness and to encourage farmers to adopt it.]
April 23, 2013 Business Standard (Bihar, India)
- Emphasis on diversification of agriculture [GOI emphasizing crops/varieties requiring less water. Early maturing varieties for use in drought/moisture stress conditions for use with SRI, DSR, aerobic rice and AWD.]
April 23, 2013, Press Information Bureau (India)
- Share experience to overcome challenges in agriculture [New farm school near Thanjavur, TN, to stress SRI and other water-saving methods]
April 22, 2013 The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- SRI system of farming to be extended to 1,500 acres
[About 250 agriculture extension workers are will reach farmers in 24 districts of Karnataka. Also, 1,000 farmers will take up SSI for sugarcane in Belgaum.]
April 18, 2013, Deccan Herald (Karnataka, India)
- Syngenta Bets on automated rice as M&A options dwindle [Apparently SRI is providing competition for Syngenta's automated rice production?]
April 17, 2013, Bloomberg Business Week
- ‘Farmers’ Festival’ begins in Nellai [TN Minister of Tourism recommends SRI to farmers in his address]
April 16, 2013 The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Pengembangan padi SRI masih jadi anak tiri
April 15, 2013, Republika Online (South Sumatra, Indonesia)
- Adopt SRI, paddy farmers urged [SRI taken up on 84,391 hectares of land in 84 villages in Thanjavur Distict, Tamil Nadu]
April 15, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Norway-funded project comes to farmers' aid [Norway-funded ClimaAdapt Project in 7 TN villages in Ponnaniar Basin includes SRI]
April 12, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
Seeds of progress
April 11, 2013, Deccan Herald (Karnataka, India)
Some tips to enhance SRI rice yield [Some added practices from a TNAU researcher on SRI nursery and water management]
April 10, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
PH to import rice from Cambodia [Article attributes some of Cambodian rice success to SRI]
April 7, 2013, mb.com.ph (Manila, Philippines)
- VCD to help farmers raise rice production
March 25, 2012, The Telegraph (Assam, India)
- Agriculture revolution takes shape silently [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
March 22, 2013, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Ryots give tips to one another [Drum seeder saves labor in AP]
March 17, 2012, The Hindu (Andhra Pradesh, India)
- Bihar can beat Punjab in wheat production [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
March 10 2013, Punjab Newsline (Punjab, India)
- SSI doubles sugarcane output
March 8, 2012, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Record-breaking rice yield prompts professor to promote cultivation technique
March 6, 2013, Cornell Daily Sun (Ithaca, New York)
- Challenge to China
- Farmer invites doubting scientist to field [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
February 28, 2013, The Telegraph (re: Bihar, India)
- India's rice revolution: Chinese scientist questions massive harvests [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
February 23, 2013, The Guardian / Observer (Great Britain, re: India)
- Chinese whispers over rice record
- Scientist questions nalanda farmer paddy yield [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
February 23, The Telegraph (Re: Bihar, India)
- China rice pot and Indian kettle boil [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
February 22, The Telegraph (Re: Bihar, India)
- Another revolution in agriculture underway?
[Good discussion on the benefits and politics of SRI adoption.]
February 18, 2013, The Daily Kos (USA)
- India's rice revolution [Relates how organic SRI farmer in Bihar broke world record for rice yield]
February 16, 2013, The Guardian / Observer (Great Britain, re: India)
- Green Revolution in South Goa's hinterlands [150 farmers increase yields 70-100% on 50 ha. in Netravali, South Goa, India.]
February 17, 2013, The Times of India (Goa, India)
- Reaping a good harvest [Two Nagaland SRI farmers won the 2011-2012 Krishi Karman Awards and received Rs.1 lakh and a citation each for their contribution in grain production.]
February 16, 2013, Sunday Post (Nagaland, India)
- New techniques to help ryots reap bumper crop [SRI and SSI promoted by NADP in Vellore District.]
February 9, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Conventional samba variety revived
yield [NABARD helps revive Chandigarh samba variety; Pudukottai District farmer uses SRI uses with it.]
February 9, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Efficient rice growing technology yet to find takers [but 300 farmers in 65 villages between Sheikhupura and Sialkot have adopted the SRI in the last 5 years through Lok Sanjh Foundation training.]
February 5, 2013, Express Tribune (Pakistan)
- Scarcity spurs water budgeting [6 districts in water security plan; water users’ assn. pres., says SRI use also reduced seed from 30-35kg to 3kg.]
February 4, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Project to guide farmers sustain rice production [Phase III of 2008 "ClimaRice" project (which includes SRI) announced with TNAU implementing in TN and IWMI implementing in AP.]
February 2, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- They prove farming too is rewarding [SRI among water-saving methods suggested to farmers by CEC officials.]
January 28, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Harvested results and honour through Agri department's tips on SRI [Tamil Nadu farmer gets Krishi-Karman award trophy and 5 lakh for high rice yield.]
January 28, 2013, New Indian Express (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmer gets award for cultivation feat [Madurai SRI farmer gets special award on Republic Day from the Agriculture Department for highest paddy yield].
January 27, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmers succeed despite war in Mali
January 24, 2013, Cornell Chronicle (New York, USA) [SRI project in Mali increases yields in the warzone.]
- New paddy growing method draws attention of farmers
January 24, 2013, GOACOM (Goa, India) [Nuvem Charitable Trust initiates SRI In Nuvem village with the assistance of Agriculture Department.]
- Woman farmer honoured for record rice yield
January 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- 90 Seconds to enjoying the best-tasting rice in the marketplace [Microwaveable rice bowls with SRI rice from Cambodia and Indonesia to hit the US market.]
January 2013, Lotus Foods press release (California, USA)
- Farmers with record output in frantic search for market
- Govt reels off agro-data but lack of buyers sets off alarm
January 18, 2012, The Telegraph (Bihar, India) [High agriculture yields in Bihar need to find markets.]
- President gives Krishi Karman award to Bihar [President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Krishi Karman Award to Bihar for paddy production.]
January, 16, 2013, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Nalanda farmers inspiration for others: Nobel laureate [Joseph Stiglitz visits record-yielding SRI and SCI fields in Nalanda, Bihar]
January 13, 2013, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Self-sufficiency in rice output still eludes Mizoram [SRI credited with increasing Mizoram’s rice production 51,948 t/ha 2011-12 from 47,201 t/ha in 2010-11, surpassed 52,000 MT target.]
January 5, 2013, Seven Sisters Post (Mizoram, India)
- Farmers training programme organised [ATMA programme includes 50% subsidy for SRI farmers purchasing conoweeders and knapsack sprayers.]
January 11, 2013, E-PAO [Source: Sangai Express] (Manipur, India)
- Grassroots heroes lead Bihar's rural revolution
January 10, 2013, India Today (Bihar, India)
- New improvised tool for SRI paddy planting method
[An iron roller marker can replace ropes used for marking where to transplant.]
January 3, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- 2013. South farmers introduced to better perorming organic rice. Sikkim Now! blog. November 21. [KVK organic SRI training in South Sikkim]
- McCoy, Jillian. 2013. Small grain, big change. 3BL Media website. November 19. [Story about Lotus Foods, a company that imports SRI Rice.]
- Bhatt, Yogesh. 2013. Small is beautiful- Impact of SRI and agro center at village level. Yoghesh Bhatt blog. October 27. [See section on SRI impact in Dangs and Vansada to see how data collection is documenting yield increases and other benefites.]
- Uphoff, Norman. 2013. New approaches are needed for another Green Revolution. SciDev.net, South Asia section, October 16. (reprinted by AllAfrica)
- NewsReach magazine, March-April edition, volume 13 , no. 2. [Entire edition is devoted to SRI.] [url accessed October 1]
- Policy consultation on System of Rice Intensification. 13(2): 2-13.
- Banerjee, Soumik. Indigenous paddy varieties under SRI and conventional practices: A performance study. 13(2): 14-30
- Kumar, Amit, and Amit Saha. Engagement of the state in the promotion of SRI: Understanding the process.13(2): 31-49
- Chopra, Ravi. All you'd like to know about SRI in India and more. 13(2): 50-52 [url accessed October 1]
- lvcsouthasia. 2013. Bihar's agroecological farmers host international farmers' delegation. La Via Campesina South Asia - Peasants for Food Sovereignty blog. October 8. [La Via Campesina and GM Free Bihar hosted farmers from Karnataka, Brazil and Haiti to visit Nalanda SRI farmers and others.]
- Frederick, Carrie. 2013. White Gold - A look at organic rice farming in Vietnam. Carriefrederick's Blog. September 23.
- Tutwiler, M. Ann. 2013. From the fields of Bihar, India. DG Dialogues blog, Bioversity International website. September 11. [SRI is part of Bioversity/IARI's farmers' field network in the Indo-Gangetic Plains region of India.]
- Van Vark, Caspar. 2013. Do crop intensification techniques hold the key to food security? The Guardian Global Development Professionals Network blog. [Indian farmers have seen increased yields in rice and wheat cultivation. Could SCI curb hunger in low-resource communities?]
- Gujarat Regional Office (NABARD). 2013. System of Rice Intensification - NABARD initiative in tribal districts of Gujarat. National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Bank (NABARD) website, Initatives section. (viewed August 24). NABARD, Gujarat Regional Office has extended grant support of ` 47.472 Lakh to Aga Khan Rural Support Programme - India (AKRSP(I), for propogating and promoting SRI approach in three tribal dominated districts of South Gujarat.]
- 2013. Family farming: The key to alleviating hunger and poverty. Wisconsin State Farmer website. September 5. [Notes Food Tanks' recommended ways to invest in family farming, which includes SRI.]
- Gardener, Justin. 2013. Indian farmers growing record yields with no GMO crops or pesticides. REALfarmacy.com website. August 18.
- 2013. Chefs see seeds of hope in Haiti. Oxfam America blog. August 12.
- Malloy, Chris. 2013. Instant rice: A French priest’s simple growing technique is revolutionizing the world's grain. Modern Farmer website. August 8.
- Ibrahim, Shuaibu. 2013. World Bank agric project disburses N209m to 3,000 Kano farmers. This Day Live website. August 1.
- Bryan, Shane. 2013. Changing lunch: For farmers, new ‘can’t miss’ technology isn’t always enough. What's for Lunch blog. July 29. [An installment of Public Radio International's (PRI) The World, What's for Lunch? series, this article considers why SRI adoption is sometimes slow to catch on.]
- IID/UTB. 2013. Universidad Técnica de Babahoyo da a conocer resultados de implementación de una parcela demostrativa de arroz bajo el sistema SRI. Instituto de Invertigacion y Desarrolo (UTB) website. July 29.
- Eaton, Sam. 2013. Intensive lunch: Hope in a controversial rice growing technique. What's for Lunch blog. July 25. [An installment of Public Radio International's (PRI) The World, What's for Lunch? series, this recording and article are about SRI in Bihar, India, and elsewhere.] [Audio clip and article are also published on the PRI website under the title Controversial rice growing technique provides hope for bigger yields.]
- McDonald, K. 2013. An Interview with Cornell's Dr. Erika Styger about the System of Crop Intensification (SRI-Rice). Big Picture Agriculture website. July 22.
- 2013. Rice, baby, rice. Cornell CALS Notes blog. July 25.
- Latham, Michael. 2013. The next Green Revolution (this time without fossil fuels). Solutions 4(2). June.
- Dhital, Maina. 2013. SRI: Making a world of difference. ekantipur.com website. July 16.
- Stapleton, Ellen. 2013. New System of Rice Intensification (SRI) video about Nepal. SRI News and Views blog. July 10.
- 2013. SRI-India Bimonthly Update. SDTT SRI website. July. (9p. pdf)
- 2013. A paradigm shift for agriculture: The case for SRI. Can We Feed the World blog. [Also posted on the Echo Update blog] July 5. [Based on a July 4 presentation by Norman Uphoff at IIED which suggested people must change their mindset about agriculture]
- Ngimbu, Henry. 2013. The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Zambia. HCD Connect website. July.
- Eileen. 2013. Dr. Erika Styger leads SRI training. iF Foundation website. June 12.
- Eileen. 2013. SRI pilot for rice and sugarcane. iF Foundation website. June 12.
- Antrim-Cashin, Tess. 2013. System of Rice Intensification a sustainable option for family farmers. Food Tank blog. June 5.
- Kimseng, Men. 2013. Cambodian Agricultural Research Center Honored. VOA Cambodia website. June 25.
- Cohen, Marc. 2013. Good news from Haiti. Oxfam's Politics of Poverty blog. May 31.
- Le, Minh. 2013. Simple and Effective: System of Rice Intensification in Vietnam. Oxfam America website. May 16.
- Rollins, Julian. 2013. 'Revolutionary' rice-growing method gets much more for less. Positive News website, Asia/Environment section. May 10.
- Shelley, Barry. 2013. Demystifying a rice revolution. Oxfam America website. May 9.
- Uprety, Rajendra. 2013. Hybridizing technology: The Case of rice farming in Nepal. Landscape for People, Food and Nature blog. May 8.
- Gujja, Biksham, and Norman Uphoff. 2013. From animosity towards collaboration. AgriCultures Network Network website. April 25.
- Fisher, Lucy. 2013. More regional issues of AgriCultures Network magazines focus on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI): China and Africa. Global News and Views - SRI blog. May 5.
- Qamar, Sara. 2013. A global economic opportunity in rice. Changmakers website. March 3. [accessed May 7, 2012]
- Charles, Dan. 2013. Unraveling the mystery of a rice revolution. NPR blog, The Salt column, May 3. (Also carried by radio station blogs: KOSU and WFAE) [Article questioning higher yields in Indonesia not accompanied by increased income]
- Jat, Aanandi Lal. 2013. Increasing rice production through System of Rice Intensification. Popular Kheti 1(1): 10-14, January-March. [Description of the steps for planting SRI] [acquired May 3, 2013]
- 2013. India's Bihar State plans large scale SRI popularization campaign to boost rice production. Oryza website. April 24.
- 2013. "System of Rice Intensification is a way of human resource development, not just rice modification technique." Agriculture & Industry Survey 23(4): 20-21. April. [Interview with Norman Uphoff]
- Nirmala. 2013. Profitability of System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Rice Knowledge Management Portal. April 18.
- Kumar, Pankaj. 2013. Striking green gold in Nalanda. Governance Now website. April 17. http://governancenow.com/news/regular-story/striking-green-gold-nalanda
- Bouman, Bas. 2013. SRI: Why the animosity? Bas Bouman's blog. April 16.
- Grover, Sami. 2013. How small-scale farmers are growing more rice with less water and fewer chemicals. Mother Nature Network website. April 15.
- Kumar, Raksha. 2013. For farmers in Bihar, A simple solution for more crops. India Ink (New York Time - India) blog. April 9. [Article about System of Crop Intensification in Bihar, India.)
- Kumar, Supriya. 2013. The looming threat of water scarcity. Vital Signs (WorldWatch Institute) website. March 19. [acquired April 10, 2013]
- Bornstein, David. 2013. Where YouTube meets the farm. Opionionator blog (Online commentary from the New York Times) [Article about Digital Green's videos]
- Tom Pietrasik. 2013. Indian farmer doubles rice yield. Tom Pietrasik blog. March 5. [Video and photos about farmer in Chhattishgarh who increased yields with SRI] [accessed April 10, 2013]
- 2013. Reaping success in war-torn Mali. Periodicals 3(1): 4 [SRI project in Mali progresses despite war]
- Esipisu, Isaiah. 2013. Water-sparing rice farming proves viable in Kenya. AlertNet website. March 25.
- ar/ks/rz. 2013. Madagascar's Millennium Village goes it alone. IRIN website. March 22. [73% of farmers now use SRI which was introduced through Millennium Village project. Rabodozafy’s family now grow enough rice with SRI to eat for 11 months/year as opposed to 3 before.]
- Brink, Hellin. 2013. Smallholder farmers dramatically improve crop yields without expensive seeds and fertilizers. Food First website. March 20. [Overview of SRI with link to the Farming Matters March issue on SRI.]
- Stoop, Willem A. 2013(?). Agronomic adaptations in SRI practices to meet farmers' conditions and needs. AgriCultures Network website. [acquired 3/20/13]
- Sengupta, Uttam. 2013. The whole truth on a grain of rice. OutlookIndia.com. March 11. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- 2013. Bumper crops in India, no GE required. Ground Truth blog. March 7. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Diwakar, M. C., Arvind Kumar, Anil Verma, and Norman Uphoff. 2013. A response to doubts raised by Prof. Yuan on Indian farmer's record paddy yield through SRI method in Bihar. India Water Portal. March 4. [See also comments section for additional points. More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Specht, Jonathan. 2013. Food hero series: Dr. Norman Uphoff, agricultural development leader. Food tank website. March 2.
- Kumar, Pankaj. 2013. Farming goes organic in Nalanda, to grow big-time. Governance Now website. February 28.
- Matsuo, Takashi. 2013. Producing more with less through rice intensification method: Is it a revolution or an illusion? Asian Development Blog. February 28. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- 2013. System of Rice Intensification - A miracle solutions? Marc F. Bellemare blog. February 26.
- Strether, Lambert. 2013. One seed revolution. naked captitalism blog. February 24. [Comments on a 2012 video about SRI by SDTT in India]
- Dobermann, Achim. 2013. Another new rice yield record? Let's move beyond it. Achim Dobermann's blog (IRRI website). February 26. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Guardino, Luigi. 2013. MacGyver tackles agricultural research. Agrobiodiversity Weblog. February 26. [Discussion with numerous comments sparked by the Bihar rice record.]
- Chang, Gordon. 2013. Rice production records set with new method. World Affairs, Around Asia section. February 26.[More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Leggit, Mark. 2013. The record harvests changing lives for impoverished Indian farmers. Earth Times website, Going Green section. February 24.
- Hoffman, Beth. 2013. Can we revolutionize agriculture without 'science'? Forbes website. February 22.
- Laskawy, Tom. 2013. Miracle grow: Indian farmers smash crop yield records without GMOs . Grist website. February 22. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Li, Amy. 2013. China's 'father of rice' throws doubt on Indian record holder. South China Morning Post. February 21. [see related Chinese language article.]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2013. February 2013 Feature: New video series on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Africa - A collaborative effort by IFAD, SRI-Rice, and Flooded Cellar Productions. SRI-Rice website. February 17.
- Saint-Ange, Perin. 2013. System of Rice Intensification. International Fund for Development website. February. [See also the resources section on adoption of SRI that describes and links to videos on farmers spreading SRI in Burundi, Madagascar and Rwanda.]
- 2013. India: raccolto record di riso da agricoltura contadina e SRI. Ecoblog. February 18. (Italian)
- Zakaria, Fareed. 2013. What we're reading. CNN World (Fareed Zakaria/GPS) blog. February 18. [Short description of SRI refers to Feb. 16, Guardian article.]
- Brown, Paul. 2013. Climate-friendly rice: End of the paddyfield? Climate News Network website. February 18.
- Land, Graham. 2013. Fantastic farming: India's miracle rice. AsianCorrespondent.com. February 18. [Commentary on SRI/SCI methods following recent news about Bihar SRI yields.]
- 2013. SRI, of hoe Indiase boeren recordoogsten boeken. DeMorgen/DM website. [Article in Dutch about the record-breaking rice yield with SRI in Bihar, India]
- Pillai, Krishna K. 2013. "Not peer-reviewed" but it seems to work - A new green revolution underway in Bihar. k2p blog. February 17.
- McDonald, Kay. 2013. Thirty-five water conservation methods for agriculture,farming, and gardening. Part 1 and Part 4. Big Picture Agriculture blog. February 12. [SRI/SCI is #5 in Part I and also mentioned in #30 in part 4].
- Welsing, Anne. 2013. Organic rice from the land of volcanoes: Visiting Emily Sutanto and "her" organic farmers on Java. Oneco (Organic News Community) website. December 20. [accessed by SRI-Rice 2/16/13]
- Vidal, John and Annie Kelley. 2013. Bhutan set to plough lone furrow as world's first wholly organic country. PovertyMatters blog (The Guardian). February 11.
- Shrivastava, Arun. 2013. Spurious debate on agricultural productivity -The Indian Prime Minister and agricultural establishment has lost touch with science and reality. www.Salem-News.com. January 22.
- Sharma, Devinder. 2013. Not crop diversification, Punjab needs to diversify from existing intensive farming system. Ground Reality blog. January 19. [Sharma asked Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar how he intends to ensure his state does not end up mining groundwater like Punjab. His answer: "I am aggressively promoting SRI .. which reduces water consumption by 50 to 60 per cent." Amrik Singh's comment to the post about SRI success in Punjab is also interesting.]
- Astyk, Sharon. 2013. SRI rice production getting Its due. Casaubon's Book (blog). January 19.
- Viphou, Meas. 2013. Using new techniques for cultivating rice in Mondulkiri. Cambodian Rural Development Team website. January 16. [The NGO CRDT begins promoting SRI in Mondulkiri Province with good results.]
- Singh, Pragya. 2012. Rice transplanter for small farms. Young Designers website (National Institute for Design). [accessed Jan. 13, 2013]
- Bharucha, Zareen. 2012. Growing possibilities in Africa. STIR website. June. [acquired Jan. 9, 2013]
- Brink. Rachel. 2013. Sharing the gift of improved rice fields. World Renew website. January 7. [World Renew, a Christian Reformed Church in N. America, shares info on one of the 12 Farmer Field Schools they sponsore in Cambodia that includes SRI]
- 2013. SRI: Successful campaign and encouraging in Morarano. CODEGAZ website. [Report on the French NGO CODEGAZ work in the Morarano, Madagascar.] [accquired Jan. 7, 2013]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during 2013
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- Handono, S. Y. 2013. Factors Affecting the farmers to still practicing SRI in Malang Regency, Indonesia. Paper presented at the 2nd Asean Academic Society International Conference on Business, Economics and Social Science, November 4-5, in Bangkok, Thailand. (p.32-36) [acquired November 25, 3013]
- Nawi, Nolila Mohd, and Siti Samiha Zainal. 2012. Malaysian paddy farmers' awareness and perception towards System of Rice Intensification (SRI) practices: A preliminary study. Proceedings of the International Conference on Agricbusiness Marketing, June 25-26, Jember, Indonesia. (pp.727-737) [acquired November 25, 3013]
- • Naidu, G. Jogi, K. Tejeswara Rao, A. Upendra Rao, and D. Srinivasulu Reddy. 2013. Age of seedlings and planting pattern on grain yield, protein content, NPK uptake and post-harvest nutrient status of rice under SRI. Journal of Academia and Industrial Research 2(6): 334-337 [acquired November 25, 3013]
- • Ranjitha, P. Sri, R. Mahender Kumar, and G. Jayasree. 2013. Evaluation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties and hybrids in relation to different nutrient management practices for yield, nutrient uptake and economics in SRI. Annals of Biological Research 4(10): 25-28. [acquired November 7, 2013]
- • Gopalakrishnan, Subramaniam, Vadlamudi Srinivas, Meesala Sree Vidya, and Abhishek Rathore. 2013. Plant growth-promoting activities of Streptomyces spp. in sorghum and rice. SpringerPlus 2(1): 1-8. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-2-574 [acquired November 7, 2013]
- Meyyappan, M., M. Ganapathy, M. V. Sriramachandrasekharan, and S. Sujatha. 2013. Economics of weed management practices in System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Journal of Rice Research 6(1): 66-68. [acquired November 7, 2013] [short communication]
- Meyyappan, M., M. Ganapathy, M. V. Sriramachandrasekharan, and S. Sujatha. 2013. Effect of age of seedlings and weed management practices on certain growth parameters of rice under System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Journal of Rice Research 6(1): 53-56. [acquired November 7, 2013]
- Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Rethinking the concept of 'yield ceiling' for rice: Implications of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) for agricultural science and practice. Journal of Crop and Weed 9(1): 1-19. [Acquired October 14, 2013]
- Choudhary, R.L., Dinesh Kumar, Y. S. Shivay, Anjali Anand, and Lata Nain. 2013. Yield and quality of rice (Oryza sativa) hybrids grown by SRI method with and without plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. Indian Journal of Agronomy 58(3): 430-433. [acquired October 4, 2013]
- • Chen, Song, Xi Zheng, Dangying Wang, Chunmei Xu and Xiufu Zhang. 2013. Influence of the improved System of Rice Intensification (SRI) on rice yield, yield components and tillering characteristics under different rice establishment methods. Plant Production Science 16(2): 191-198. [acquired September 19, 2013]
- Jha, Girish K. 2013. Energy growth linkage and strategy for meeting the energy demand in Indian agriculture. Agricultural Economics Research Review. 26(conf): 119-127. [acquired September 18, 2013]
- • Sushant. 2013. Impact of climate change in eastern Madhya Pradesh, India. Tropical Conservation Science 6(3): 338-364. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Ishani, Parasar, J. P. Hazarika, and Deka Nivedita. 2013. A comparative economic analysis of SRI and traditional methods of rice cultivation in Assam. Agricultural Economics Research Review 26(conf): 236. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Kumar, R. M., L. V. S. Rao, V. R. Babu, S. Gopalakrishnan, K. Surekha, C. Padmavathi, and B. C. Viraktamath. 2013.
- Mencher, Joan. 2013. Food Sovereignty: How it turns the growing corporate global food system upside down. Paper #43 presented at the international conference Food Sovereignty: A Critical Dialogue, September 14-15, at Yale University, New Haven, CT. (36 p. pdf) [acquired September 17, 2013]
- System of Rice Intensification: Its present status, future prospects and role in seed production in India. SATSA Mukhaptra Annual Technical Issue 17: 22-43. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Thakur, Amod K., Rajeeb K. Mohanty, Dhiraj U. Patil, and Ashwani Kumar. 2013. Impact of water management on yield and water productivity with system of rice intensification (SRI) and conventional transplanting system in rice. Paddy and Water Environment (Springer Link September 2013). doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0397-8 [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Singh, Y. V., K. K. Singh, and S. K. Sharma. 2013. Influence of crop nutrition on grain yield, seed quality and water productivity under two rice cultivation systems. Rice Science 20(2): 129–138. doi:10.1016/S1672-6308(13)60113-4 [acquired Sept. 11, 2013]
- Glover, Dominic. 2013. Of yield gaps and yield ceilings: Making plants grow in particular places. 2013. Geoforum (published by Elsevier online first, June 28). doi10.1016/j.geoforum.2013.06.001 [acquired Sept. 9, 2013]
- Singh, Kalyan, S. R. Singh, J. K. Singh, R. S. Rathore, Shishu Pal Singh, Rina Roy. 2013. Effect of age of seedling and spacing on yield, economics, soil health and digestibility of rice (Oryza sativa) genothypes under system of rice intensification. The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 83(5):p? [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- • Kumar, R. Mahender, K. Surekha, et al. 2013. Research experiences on System of Rice Intensification and future directions. Journal of Rice Research 2(2): 61-71. (also available from agropedia labs) [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Meena, Mamta, M. V. Patel, et al. 2013. Effects of organic manures and nitrogen fertilizer on growth and yield of paddy grown in system of rice intensification technique under middle Gujarat conditions. Annals of Agri-Bio Research 18(2): 141-145. [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- • Nirmala, K. and R. Vasantha. 2013. A study on diffusion status of system of rice intensification (SRI) in Andhra Pradesh. The Journal of Research Angrau 41(1): 101-104. [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Raman, Anantanarayanan. 2013. Ecological management of rice agriculture in southern India. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences 39(1):p? [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Rani, S., and P. Sukumari. 2013. Root growth, nutrient uptake and yield of medicinal rice Njavara under different establishment techniques and nutrient sources. American Journal of Plant Sciences 4:1568-1573. doi:10.4236/ajps.2013.48189 [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Rao, A. U., T. V. P. R Prasad, R. S. N. Rao, D. Vijay, T. V. Sridhar. 2013. Evaluation of system of rice intensification (SRI) on alluvial soils of Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Soils and Crops 23(1): 36-40. [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Katambara, Zacharia, F. C. Kahimba, et al. 2013. Adopting the system of rice intensification (SRI) in Tanzania: A review. Agricultural Sciences 4(8): 369-375. doi:10.4236/as.2013.48053 [acquired Sept. 2, 2013]
- Doi, Ryoichi, and Masaru Mizoguchi. 2013. Feasibility of system of rice intensification practices in natural and socioeconomic contexts in Thailand. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology (published online first June 17, 2013). doi:10.1080/13504509.2013.801002 [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Dewangan, Devendra Kumar, K. V. Sahare, et al. 2013. Integrated weed -anagement in System of Rice Intensification (SRI). International Journal of Agricultural & Allied Sciences 1(1): July –Sept. 2013. [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Dewangan, Devendra Kumar, and Singh A.P. 2013. Effect of integrated weed management on weed flora distribution, weed dynamics and performance of rice (Oryza sativa L.) under system of rice intensification (SRI) in Chhattisgarh. Journal of Progressive Agriculture 4(1):96-101.[acquired August 11, 2013]
- Baskar, P., K. Siddeswaran, and N. Thavaprakaash. 2013. Tiller dynamics, light interception percentage and yield of rice cultivars under system of rice intensification (SRI) as influenced by nursery techniques and spacing. Madras Agricultural Journal 100(1-3):131-134. [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Ahmad, Riaz, and Shahbaz Hussain. 2013. Improving the performance of direct seeded System of Rice Intensification by seed priming. International Journal of Agriculture & Biology 15(4):791-794. [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Jain, Niveta, Rachana Dubey, D. S. Dubey, Jagpal Singh, M. Khanna, H. Pathak, and Arti Bhatia. 2013. Mitigation of greenhouse gas emission with system of rice intensification in the Indo-Gangetic Plains. Paddy and Water Environment, Springer Link (August 2013) [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Malloy, Chris. 2013. Instant Rice: A French priest’s simple growing technique Is revolutionizing the world's grain. Modern Farmer, Food section. August 8. [acquired November 21, 2013]
- Nay-Htoon, Bhone, Nguyen Tung Phong, Sabine Schlüter, Aldas Janaiah. 2013. A water productive and economically profitable paddy rice production method to adapt water scarcity in the Vu Gia-Thu Bon river basin, Vietnam. Journal of Natural Resources and Development. p.1-8. doi:xx [acquired July 26, 2013]
- Kipkorir, E.C., E.M. Mugalavai, C.K. Songok, P.O.W. Webi, K. K.G. Kiptoo, and F. Daudi. 2012. Adapting System of Rice Intensification in Western Kenya irrigation schemes. In Proceedings of The International Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, and Conflict Resolution for Sustainable Development, July 18-20, Mmust, Kakamega, Kenya. [acquired July 17, 2013]
- Takahashi, K. 2013. The role of risk and ambiguity in the adoption of the system of rice intensification (SRI): Evidence from Indonesia. Food Security (published online first, May 28,2013, p.1-12). doi:10.1007/s12571-013-0270-z [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Reddy, B. G. M., R. Ravishankar, S. Balaganhvi, and V. R. Joshi. 2013. Nutrient management of rice (Oryza sativa) under system of rice intensification (SRI). The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 83(6): p? [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Islam, M., et. al. 2013. Productivity and socio-economic impact of system of rice intensification and integrated crop management over conventional methods of rice establishment in eastern Himalayas, India. Paddy and Water Environment (published online first, May 31, 2013, p.1-12). doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0377-z. [acquired June 20, 2013]
- • Watanarojanaporn, N., et. al. 2013. Effect of rice cultivation systems on indigenous arbuscular mycorrhiza fungal community structure. Microbes and Environments. (published online first, May 29, 2013) [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Dass, Anchal,, and C. Subhash. 2013. Panicle characteristics, yield and their correlation in system of rice (Oryza sativa) intensification and conventional transplanting under variable irrigation, spacing and varieties. Indian Journal of Agronomy 58(1): 54-62. [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Takahashi, Kazushi, and Barrett, Christopher B. 2013?. The System of Rice Intensif ication and its impacts on household income and child schooling: Evidence from rural Indonesia. Working Paper, Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management website, Cornell University. (65p. pdf) [acquired May 3, 2013]
- Sun, Y., et. al. 2012. Relationship between culm lodging resistance and population quality of hybrids under Triangle-Planted System of Rice Intensification at different nitrogen application rates and planting densities – 不同施氮量和栽插密度下三角形强化栽培杂交稻抗倒伏性与群体质量的关系. Chinese Journal of Rice Science-中国水稻科学 26(2): 189-196. DOI:10.3969/j.issn.1001-7216.2012.02.008 [acquired 4/20/13]
- Yang, Z., et. al. 2012. Effects of nitrogen fertilizer management on yield and nitrogen use efficiency of Eryou 498 in Triangle-Planted System of Rice Intensification – 三角形强化栽培模式下氮肥运筹对II 优498产量及氮肥利用的影响. Acta Agronomica Sinica–作物学报 38(6): 1097-1106. DOI: 10.3724/SP.J.1006.2012.01097. [acquired 4/20/13]
- Zhang, Z., et. al. 2004. Effects of transplant age in System of Rice Intensification on rice yield and economic characteristics - 秧龄对强化栽培水稻产量及经济性状的影响. Journal of Zhejiang Agricultural Sciences – 浙江农业科学 (2): 78-79. [acquired 4/20/13]
- Jung, Chung-Gil, Jong-Yoon Park, Seong-Joon Kim and Geun-Ae Park. 2013. The SRI (system of rice intensification) water management evaluation by SWAPP (SWAT–APEX Program) modeling in an agricultural watershed of South Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 10.1007/s10333-013-0367-1 (technical report; results showed that water could be saved and the nutrient load reduced by just applying SRI water management for rice paddies in South Korea.) [acquired 4/4/13]
- Kassam, A., and H. Brammer. 2013. Reply to Sumberg et al. The Geographical Journal (Early view- Wiley Online Library, 12 March 2013). doi:10.1111/geoj.12010 [acquired 3/27/13]
- Kassam, A., and H. Brammer. 2013. Combining sustainable agricultural production with economic and environmental benefits. The Geographical Journal. Article first published online: doi:10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00465.x
- Arassan, Anbu, V. Karthick, B. Swaminathan, T. Arivelarasan. 2013. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and its implications over food security and farmer sovereignty. Social Science Research Network website. [Research carreid out by the Department of Agricultural Economics, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University] [acquired 3/27/13]
- Dahal, Khem R., and Ram B. Khadka. 2012. Performance of rice with varied age of seedlings and planting geometry under System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in farmer's field in western Terai, Nepal. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology 13(2): 1-6. doi:10.3126/njst.v13i2.7706 [acquired 3/16/13]
- Gopalakrishnan, Subramaniam, R. Mahender Kumar, et al. 2013. Assessment of different methods of rice (Oryza sativa. L.) cultivation affecting growth parameters, soil chemical, biological, and microbiological properties, water saving, and grain yield in rice-rice system. Paddy and Water Environment (Springer Link, March) doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0362-6 [acquired 3/12/15]
- Hazra, K. K., and Subhash Chandra. 2013. Mild to prolonged stress increased rice tillering and source-to-sink nutrient translocation under SRI management. Paddy and Water Environment (Springer Link, March 2013). doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0361-7 (short communication) [acquired 3/12/15]
- Liu, Huaizhen, Qing Huang, Xiuming Lu, and Jun Liu. 2004. The impact of SRI planning manner on tillering, panicle formation and panicle characteristics - 水稻强化栽培插植规格对茎蘖成穗和穗部性状影响的研究. Guangdong Agricultural Science - 广东农业科学(1): 12-15. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Zhang, Wanli, Zaizhi Yang, and Tingchang Liao. 2004. Preliminary study on the application of System of Rice Intensification in Fenggang County - 凤冈县水稻强化栽培初探. Tillage and Cultivation - 耕作与栽培 (2): 39-40. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Yu, Aiying, Zengqi Wu, Guiping Zhu, Donglian Chen, Huiqin Zhang, Yunxian Ying, and Yimin Shen. 2004. Preliminary report of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) experiment result in Xianju County - 仙居县水稻强化栽培试验示范结果初报. China Rice - 中国稻米 (5): 39-40. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Sowmyalatha, B. S., C. Ramachandra, N. Shivakumar, and K. B. Manjunatha. 2012. Effect of methods of cultivation and fertility levels on growth and yield of rice hybrids. Mysore Journal of Agricultural Sciences 46(1): 171-173. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Kumar, H. B. Halesh, V. K. Deshpande, B. S. Vyakaranahal, N. G. Hanamarahatti. 2013. Screening of selected promising rice hybrids under modified system of rice intensification (SRI) method in upland eco system. BIOINFOLET 10(1A): 45-49. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Dastan, S., Gh. Noormohamadi, H. Madani, H. R. Mobasser, and M. S. Daliri. 2013. Evaluation of related to lodging characteristics and grain yield in Iranian rice genotypes under modified agronomical systems. Annals of Biological Research 4(2): 267-275. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Dass, Anchal, and Chandra Subash. 2012. Effect of different components of SRI on yield, quality, nutrient accumulation and economics of rice (Oryza sativa) in tarai belt of northern India. Indian Journal of Agronomy 57(3): 250-254. [acquired 3/12/13]
- Suryadi, Y., D. Susilowati, A. Akhdiya, T. S. Kadir, and B. Wibowo. 2013. Efficacy of consortium bacteria for control rice diseases under System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in West Java - Indonesia. Albanian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 12(1): 143-147. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Dastan, S., Gh. Noormohamadi, H. Madani, H. R. Mobasser, and M. Sam Daliri. 2013. Agroecological parameters of Iranian rice genotypes in modified systems. Life Science Journal 10(1s): 219-224. (The document is better viewed as an html doc) [acquired 2/28/13]
- Sridevi, V. and V. Chellamuthu. 2012. Advantages of SRI cultivation in the tail end of Cauvery delta. Journal of Crop and Weed 8(2): 40-44. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Chowdhury, M. R., V. Kumar, and K. Brahmachari. 2012. Effect of different water and nutrient management practices on rice grown under SRI. Journal of Crop and Weed 8(2): 36-39. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Ndiiri, J. A., B. M. Mati, P. G. Home, B. Odongo and N. Uphoff. 2012. Benefit-cost analysis of paddy rice under the System of Rice Intensification in Mwea, Kenya. Paper presented at the 2012 JKUAT Scientific, Technological and Industrilization Conference - Science, November 15-16, in Nairobi, Kenya. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Ly, P., L. S. Jensen, T. B. Bruun, and A. Neergaard. 2012. Methane and nitrous oxide emission from the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) under rainfed lowland ecosystem in Cambodia. Paper presented at the annual Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management (TROPENTAG), September 19-21, in Gottingen, Germany. [acquired 2/28/13]
- Sooksa-Nguan, Thanwalee. 2006. Comparison of bacterial activities and diversity in soil between conventional and the novel rice cultivation: SRI. Ph.D. dissertation, Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand. (126p., 1.75MB pdf) [acquired 2/27/13]
- Feuer, Hart Nadav. 2008. Sustainable agricultural techniques and performance oriented empowerment, an actor-network theory approach to CEDAC agricultural and empowerment programmes in Cambodia. Master of Philosophy thesis, University of Oxford. (116p., 1.0 MB pdf) [acquired 2/27/13]
- Satish, H. S. 2010. Farmers' perceptions, preferences and utilization of SRI and traditional paddy straw for livestock. Master's thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka, India. (74p., 620 KB pdf) [acquired 2/27/13]
- Noltze, M., S. Schwarze, and M. Qaim. 2012. Impacts of natural resource management techonologies on agricultural yield, income, and poverty: The System of Rice Intensification in Timor Leste. Paper presented at the annual Conference on Tropical and Subtropical Agricultural and Natural Resource Management (TROPENTAG), September 19-21, in Gottingen, Germany. [acquired 2/28/13] (no individual PDF, but the whole proceedings are available in pdf form)
- Kassam, Amir, and Hugh Brammer. 2013. Combining sustainable agricultural production with economic and environmental benefits. The Geographical Journal 179(1): 11-18. doi:10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00465.x [acquired 2/28/13]
- Thakur, Amod Kumar, Sreelata Rath, Krishna Gopal Mandal. 2013. Differential responses of system of rice intensification (SRI) and conventional flooded-rice management methods to applications of nitrogen fertilizer. Plant and Soil (SpringerLink). doi: 10.1007/s11104-013-1612-5 [acquired 2/11/13]
- Choi, J. D., W. J. Park, K. W. Park and K. J. Lim. 2013. Feasibility of SRI methods for reduction of irrigation and NPS pollution in Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 241-248. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0311-9
- Noltze, Martin, Stefan Schwarze, and Matin Qaim. 2013. Impacts of natural resource management technologies on agricultural yield and household income: The system of rice intensification in Timor Leste. Ecological Economics 85: 59-68. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.10.009
- Singh, Y. V. 2013. Crop and water productivity as influenced by rice cultivation methods under organic and inorganic sources of nutrient supply. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 531-542. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0346-y
- Suryavanshi, Priyanka, Y. V. Singh, R. Prasanna, Arti. Bhatia, and Y. S. Shivay. 2013. Pattern of methane emission and water productivity under different methods of rice crop establishment. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 321-329. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0323-5
- Gopalakrishnan, S., et al. 2012. Plant growth-promoting traits of biocontrol potential bacteria isolated from rice rhizosphere. SpringerPlus 1(1): 71-84. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-1-71 [acquired 1/8/13]
- Gehring, C., et al. 2012. Ecological intensification of rice production in the lowlands of Amazonia – Options for smallholder rice producers. European Journal of Agronomy 4(46): 25-33. doi:10.1016/j.eja.2012.11.006 [acquired 1/8/13]
- Roy, A. K., S. Chakrabarty, H. D. Chuadali, and B. C. Mahato. 2012. System of rice intensification (SRI): An experiment in Purulia under NAIP. Environment and Ecology 30(4): 1280-1284. [acquired 1/8/13]
- Amiri Larijani, Bahman, and Sayed Jalal Hoseini. 2012. Comparison of integrated chemical and organic fertilizer management on rice growth and yield under system of rice intensification (SRI). International Journal of Agronomy and Plant Production 3(S): 726-731. [acquired 1/8/13]
- Pathak, Mahesh, R. C. Shakywar, Dinesh Sah, Shyam Singh. 2012. Prevalence of insect pests, natural enemies and diseases in SRI (System of Rice Intensification) of rice cultivation in North East Region. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences 20(2): 375-379. [acquired 1/8/13]
- Sathish, H. S., Nagaratna Biradar, J. G. Angadi, S.D. Kololgi and S. Hemalatha. 2012. A study on profile of system of rice intensification (SRI) paddy growers of Karnataka. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences 25(4): 450-454 [acquired 1/8/13]
- Uphoff, N. 2012. Supporting food security in the 21st century through resource-conserving increase in agricultural production. Agriculture & Food Security 1: 18-30. doi:10.1186/2048-7010-1-18 (review article) [acquired 1/3/13]
- Uphoff, N. 2012. We are not alone: Messages from inner space. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 10(4): 263-267. doi:10.1080/14735903.2012.690957 [acquired 1/3/13]
- Sharma, Y., J. Prabhakara, D. Kachroo, and A. Samanta. 2012. Influence of puddling intensity and organic amendments on water productivity under SRI and conventional transplanting of rice and their residual effect on secceeding wheat crop. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research 46(1): 75-79.
- Sumberg, J., A. Jens, K. Giller, and J. Thompson. 2012. Response to "Combining sustainable agricultural production with economic and environmental benefits." The Geographical Journal (unpaginated). doi:10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00472.x (response to a commentary) [acquired 1/3/13]
- Sumberg, J., J. Thompson, and P. Woodhouse. 2012. Why agronomy in the developing world has become contentious. Journal of the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society: 1-13. doi:10.1007/s10460-012-9376-8 [acquired 1/3/13]
- Khumairoh, U., J. C. J. Groot, and E. A. Lantinga. 2012. Complex agro-ecosystems for food security in a changing climate. Ecology and Evolution 2(7): 1696-1704. doi:10.1002/ece3.271 [acquired 1/3/13]
- Noltze, Martin, Stefan Schwarze, and Matin Qaim. 2013. Impacts of natural resource management technologies on agricultural yield and household income: The system of rice intensification in Timor Leste. Ecological Economics 85: 59-68. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.10.009 [acquired 11/26/12]
- For complete research listings, see research section; or go to journals and theses sections. For the last 12 months, see 2011 resources.
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (2013)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- Neate, Paul. 2013. "Sustainable intensification of rice production in Vietnam," pp. 11-13 in Climate-smart agriculture success stories from farming communities around the world. Wageningen, Netherlands: CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) and the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA). [acquired November 21, 2013]
- 2013. SRI-LMB Newsletter. Vol. 1, Issue 1 (4p. pdf; a biannual newsletter of the SRI Lower Mekong River Basin Project. This issue covers the launch of the project together with the Asian Centre of Innovation for Sustainable Agriculture Intensification (ACISAI) Center at the Asian Institute of Technology in Bangkok during April 2013.) [acquired October 2013]
- Behera, Debaraj, Arvind K. Chaudhary, Vinay K. Vutukuru, Abhishek Gupta, Sitaramachandra Machiraju, and Parmesh Shah. 2013. Enhancing agricultural livelihoods through community institutions in Bihar, India. South Asia rural livelihoods. Series 3, note no. 1. Washington D.C. : The Worldbank. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- SRI-Pilipinas. 2013. Ang Sistema sa Pagpapalago ng Palay. Ecology, technology and social change website. (137p.) [Pilipino language book for farmers, cooperatives and other groups interested in SRI methods.] [acquired July 5, 2013]
- Cooper, Peter J.M., et al. 2013. "Sustainable Intensification of Rice Production in Vietnam," pp. 71-74 in Large-scale implementation of adaptation and mitigation actions in agriculture, Working Paper no. 50 [Working paper series by the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)]
- Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR). 2013. A step towards climate resilient agriculture. Watershed Organisation Trust website. [acquired June 2013]
- IED Afrique. 2013. Le système de riziculture intensive. Agridape 29(1). April. [The entire April issue of this French language AgriCultures Network magazine is devoted to SRI. Articles are from Benin, Burkina Faso, Rwanda, Madagascar and other parts of the world] [acquired May 12, 2012]
- Reddy, D. Narasimha and M. Venkatanarayana. 2013. SRI cultivation in Andhra Pradesh: Achievements, problems and implications for GHGs and work. In [Work in Progress] Paper 13: Project on measuring materiality in informal production-distribution systems, Oxford University. [acquired May 28, 2012]
- ALIN Network. 2013. SRI: More rice, less water. Baobab 66(1). [The March issue has 9 articles about SRI in Africa, primarily Kenya as well as several from elsewhere.]
- 2013. 水稻强化栽培体 (SRI) 的推广. LEISA China 7(1). (30p., Chinese language) [The theme of the March issue is SRI.]
- Thiyagarajan, T.M., and Biksham Gujja. 2013. Transforming rice production with SRI: Knowledge and practice. Hyderabad: National Consortium on SRI (NCS), India. (204 p.) [link to final version acquired April 18, 2013]
- 2013. El SICA: Un éxito que se expande. LEISA revista de agroecología 29(1). March. [acquired April 17, 2013] [En esta edición, presentamos experiencias de aplicación del Sistema de Cultivo Intensivo de Arroz (SICA), una tecnología innovadora adoptada con éxito en diferentes países del mundo donde se cultiva arroz].
- Debaraj Behera, A. K. Chaudhary,V. K. Vutukuru, A. Gupta, S. Machiraju and P. Shah. Enhancing agricultural livelihoods through community institutions in Bihar, India. South Asia Livelihood Learning Note Series 3 Note 1. World Bank website. (24p., 1.68MB pdf) [acquired April 5, 2013]
- Banerjee, Soumik. 2013. Study of performance of indigenous paddy varieties under SRI and conventional practices. India Water Portal. (35p., 1.37 MB pdf) [Study commissioned by National Consortium on SRI]
- 2013. SRI: A scaling up success. LEISA India 15(1). [The March issue of LEISA India is about SRI, primarily in India.]
- AgriCultures Network. 2013. SRI - Much more than more rice. Farming Matters 29(1). [The March edition is devoted to SRI.]
- Barah, B. C. 2012. Report: Why do farmers adopt or dis-adopt? SRI - A short report from the field. NewsReach 12(11): 14-27. [PRADAN's livelihood and development bimonthly magazine.]
- Mukherjee, Kuntal. 2012. Toolkit: Promotion of SRI-Millet with small and marginal farmers in Chhattisgarh: A practitioner's manual. NewsReach 12(11): 28-35. [PRADAN's livelihood and development bimonthly magazine]
- 2013. Case study 4: Upscaling techniques to deliver higher yields and climate benefits in Vietnam. In Achieving food security in the face of climate change. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) website.
- Chapagain, A.K. and A. Y. Hoekstra. 2010. The green, blue and grey water footprint of rice from both a production and consumption perspective. The Value of Water Research Report Series no. 40. UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education. waterfootprint.org website. (59p. pdf)
- Palanisami, K., K. R. Karunakaran, Upali Amarasinghe, C. R. Ranganathan. 2013. Doing different things or doing it differently? Rice intensification practices in 13 states of India. Economic & Political Weekly 48(8): 51-58. [accessed 2/16/13] [A macro-level study covering 13 major rice-growing shows that fields grown with SRI have a higher yield average, higher gross margins, and lower production costs than non-SRI fields, although only 20% adopted all the SRI components.]
- Wijeratna, Alex . 2012. Fed up: Now's the time to invest in agroecology. ActionAid website. (p., 1.8MB pdf) [acquired Jan. 22, 2013] [SRI refererences appear on p. 31 (SRI section under Agro-ecology's multiple benefits) and p. 33 (in CEDAC's work)]
- Gujja, Biksham, Vinod Goud, U.S Natarajan, T. V. V. V Rao, Suhasini Ramayanam and Sraban Kumar Dalai. 2012. SiCAS - Sistema de Caña de Azúcar Sostenible - Produciendo 'Más con Menos'. AgSRI website. (Spanish translation by Rena Pérez; 50p. pdf) [System of Rice Intensification principles as adapted to sugarcane by Biksham Gujja.] [acquired Jan. 2013]
- Biswas, Anibrata. 2013. SRI-India bimonthly update (Nov.-Dec). SDTT website. (10p. pdf)
- Jenkins, Devon, Stephanie Tack, and Erika Styger. 2013. 2nd Peace Corps West Africa System of Rice Intensification (SRI) training of trainers - Kakanitchoé, Ouémé, Republic of Benin, April 29th - May 1st, 2013. System of Rice Intensification website. November 15. (19p., 3.12MB pdf) [Summary report of Peace Corps West Africa training and subsequent activities.]
- Amiri Larijani, Bahman. 2013. Report of SRI method demonstration at farmer’s field under PTD project in Iran (2013) . System of Rice Intensification website. (6p., 222KB pdf) [uploaded October 2013]
- Styger, Erika. 2012. Tanzania NAFAKA Project - Summary trip report (May 8 - May 20, 2012): Evaluation of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) Program. System of Rice Intenisification website. (11p.,301KB pdf) [uploaded October 2013. Note: This is a 2012 document]
- Devi, Rajkumari Sunita. 2013. SRI Cultivation in Manipur. System of Rice Intensification website. September 20.
- J-SRI. 2013. Rural development and SRI in Lao PDR. System of Rice Intensification website. September 9. (2p. 78KB pdf) [Agenda for a seminar in Vientiane organized by the Japanese Engineering Association of Survey Design for Rural Development (SDRED) and National University of Laos] [uploaded Sept. 22, 2013]
- Devi, Rajkumari Sunita. 2013. SRI cultivation in Manipur. System of Rice Intensification website. (7p., 928KB pdf) [uploaded September 4, 2013]
- Perricone-Dazzo, Lorraine, Famara Massaly, Youssoupha Boye, and Arfang Sadio. 2013. System of Rice Intensification training series report - July 2013: Peace Corps Senegal, Fatick and Kaffrine Regions - Senegal, West Africa. System of Rice Intensification website. July. (7p, 688KB pdf)
- Akiyoko, Antonin O. 2013. Rapport de formation des riziculteurs sur le Systeme de Riziculture Intensive / Banikoara-N'Dali, Benin. DEDRAS-ONG. System of Rice Intensification website. (33p., 1.15MB pdf) [French langauge report on promotion of SRI in Banikoara, N'Dali, Borgou Department, Benin, by the Organisation pour le Développement Durable, le Renforcement et l’Auto-promotion des Structures communautaires. (DEDRAS-ONG)] [uploaded July 18, 2013]
- 3A Sahel. 2013. Final report, grant to 3A - Sahel from SRI Global Inc. System of Rice Intensification website. January 1. [English translation from French by Edward Baxter.] [uploaded April 27, 2013]
- Jenkins, Devon, Stephanie Tack, and Erika Styger. 2013. System of Rice Intensification regional training 11-13 September, 2012 - Kakanitchoé (Ouémé), Rep. of Benin. System of Rice Intensification website. (26p.,1.19MB pdf)
- [uploaded Jan. 7, 2013] Oscar, Alain. 2013. Report on CODEGAZ 2012 SRI activities. System of Rice Intensification website. January. [Report from Alain Oscar, CODEGAZ, on the SRI activities by their NGO in in Burkina Faso, Cambodia and Madagascar].
- [uploaded Jan. 6, 2013] PIPM Project (FAO). 2012. Increase rice yield through the System of Rice Intensification. System of Rice Intensification website. (1p.,791KB pdf) [Instructional poster designed for the Farmer Field Schools in the 8 provinces where the Promoting Integrated Pest Management (PIPM) project is active in Afghanistan. (see project details)]
- [uploaded Jan. 6, 2013] PIPM Project (FAO). 2012. System of Wheat Intensification - An easy opportunity to increase wheat yields in Afghanistan. System of Rice Intensification website. (1p.,799KB pdf) [Instructional poster designed for the Farmer Field Schools where the Promoting Integrated Pest Management (PIPM) project is active in Afghanistan.]
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages. For docs uploaded
during the past 12 months, check also 2012 news archives.
- Video: 2013 (March 2). Bihar farmer sets world record in rice production. 7:18 min. ndtvindia channel, YouTube. [Hindi language video about a farmer from Bihar's Nalanda district who set a new record in rice production beating the existing world record held by Chinese farmer.] [accessed December 3, 2013]
- Webinar: 2013 (November 14). SRI method of paddy cultivation - Satish Kumar Natarajan. 33:49 min. VMGMART channel, YouTube. [Webinar (audio only) on SRI with Parisudh Eco Concepts Pvt, Ltd.]
- Video: 2013 (October 1). Wheat Intensification (Eng). 4:38 min. Produced by the IPM program of FAO and Aghanistan's Ministry of Irrigation, Agriculture and Livestock (MAIL). Shafiullah Baryalai channel, YouTube. [Overview of the the System of Wheat Intensification experience of the MAIL/FAO IPM Program in Aghanistan.]
- Video: 2013 (October 1). Madagascar's alternative rice farming. 2:53 min. Produced by Deutsche Welle. Vid-life.org. [This video uses footage from videos made by FloodedCellar videos in conjunction with IFAD and SRI-Rice.]
- Video: 2013 (September 24). Interview with Roberto Verzola, SRI-Pilipinas Network (Philippines). 1:50 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (September 22). Interview with Joey Tolentino, "weekend SRI farmer" in Laur, Nueva Ecija, Philippines. 5:00 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (September 13). SRI paddy transplantation. 9:27 min. Produced by Digital Green. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (July 28). The System of Rice Intensification. 9:31 min. Produced by the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) and the National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP). Kiran Icar channel, YouTube. [English language video explaining the System of Rice Intensification in the South Garo Hills, Meghalaya, India.]
- Video: 2013 (July 28). SRI method - The System of Rice Intensification. 22:39 min. Naveen Kumar channel, YouTube. [Telugu video explaining the System of Rice Intensification.]
- Audio: 2013 (July 26). Eaton, Sam. Controversial rice growing technique provides hope for bigger yields 7:38 min. Produced by PRI Public Radio International. [An installment of PRI's What's for Lunch? series, this recording and article are written about SRI in Bihar, India, and elsewhere.]
- Video: 2013 (July 15). System of Rice Cultivation.
- Video: 2013: July. ARD on SRI - Kenya. 9:41 min. Produced by Bancy Mati. Dropbox.com [ A film about SRI in Kenya has won first prize at the 2nd African Agricultural Film Festival in Accra, Ghana]
- Video: 2013 (July 9). System of Rice Intensification. 10:38 min. Produced by TNAU Agritech Portal. TNAU Agritech Portal channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (July 9). Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative. 10:19 min. Produced by TNAU Agritech Portal. TNAU Agritech Portal channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (July 7). Standardization of System of Rice Intensification method for improvement of cultivation in rice (Oryza sativa L.). 2:16 min. ICRD Sri Lanka channel, YouTube, [Video of a PowerPoint by K. Kanaka Durga et al, College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, presented at the AgriAnimal 2013 Conference, Chungnam National University, Korea]
- Video: 2013 (July 2). SRI nursery bed (Hindi Jeevika Bihar Nalanda). 13:15 min. Produced by Digital Green. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (June 13). SRI 2013: Dr Yang Saing Koma - "Experiences with SRI in Cambodia 2000-2013". 1:05:51 min. Noorazimah Taharim channel, YouTube. [Keynote speech at the 2nd National SRI Conference in Malaysia, June 2013.]
- Video: 2013 (June 7). Single seedling: Increasing rice yields and decreasing water use through SRI. 5:01 min. UPNRM channel, YouTube. [UPNRM project implemented by the Sri Kshetriya Dharmsthala Rural Development Trust (SKDRDP) in 8 districts of Karnataka, India]
- Video: 2013 (May 22). SRI Nepal. (Long version - 12:29 min; Short version - 4:54 min). Produced by Flooded Cellar Productions in partnership with SRI-Rice. Flooded Cellar channel, YouTube. [Video about SRI experiences by farmers and researchers in the Kailali district of Farwestern Nepal.]
- Video: 2013 (May 22). Iniciativa del SICA en Costa Rica. 16 min. Produced by Jorge Acosta. SICA América Latina Facebook page. [Un miniclip en la regíon indígena Bribri en Talamanca Costa Rica.]
- Video: 2013 (April 23). Participatory video on the challenges and benefits of System of Rice Intensification. 6:07 min. Written and directed by people of Barangay Arbismen, Quezon. Produced by International Instutute for Rural Reconstruction (IIRR). Mary Ann Llanza channel YouTube. (Tagalog with English subtitleds obtained by turning on cc button on the YouTube screen.) [This motivational video from Barangay Arbismen, Guinayangan, Quezon, Philippines, covers implementation and benefits of SRI, which supported by Peace and Equity Foundation.]
- Radio clip: 2013 (April 11). Indonesian farmers grow organic rice successfully. 3:23 min. Produced by Radio Australia, Radio Australia website. [Interview by Amy Bainbridge with Saeful Bahri, farmer; Eda Trisnati, farm worker; Emily Sutanto, entrepreneur, about organic SRI production and export in Tasik Malaya, W. Java, Indonesia.]
- Video: 2013 (April 1). SRI technical training film, in Tra Vinh, Vietnam 2013. 16:09 min. Thu Le channel, Youtube. [Instructional video from a GIZ-supported Project of Poverty Alleviation in Rural Areas (PARA) project in Tra Vinh, Vietnam that began in 2011.
- Video: 2013 (March 22). Cambodian agriculture - The System of Rice Intensification - SRI and using fertilizer. 24:35 min. khmersexystars channel, YouTube. [from a Khmer language TV show.] [accessed April 5, 2012]
- Video: 2013 (March 5). Rice farming in India: 'Now I produce enough food for my family'. 2:34 min. Directed by Tom Pietrasik, The Guardian, Global Development section. (see also YouTube version) [Amar Singh Patel, a small-scale farmer in Chhattisgarh, India, explains the impact of using the System of Rice Intensification on his crops.]
- Video: 2013 (February 15). Highly efficient broadcasting of rice seedlings. 0.20 min. chedudee channel, YouTube. [This video is taken in BREAD (Biodynamic-based Rice Eco-intensification and Agni-ecotourism Diversified ) Learning Farm School of Balingasag, Misamis Oriental, Philippines.] [accessed 3/20/13]
- Video: 2013. (February 22). Modified Organic System of Rice Intensification (MOSRI). 0:34 min. AND the view three weeks later. chedudee channel, YouTube. [Manual transplanting technique without bending the body. Uses 8-12 day old rice seedlings grown in the organic fertilizer-filled micro pots of plastic tray. SAFEGCC (Sustainable Agriculture and Family/-centered Group of Co-Creators), Inc. in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental, Philippines in cooperation with Christian Rural Development Institute (CRDI), South Korea.] [accessed 3/20/13]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). Experience of the Tata trusts in promoting system of rice intensification (SRI) by Biswanath Sinha. 22.24 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). Analysis of SRI practices in 13 states of India by K Palanisami . 24.22 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). Promoting SRI among adivasi farmers by Sukumar and Niraj Joshi. 15.11 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Video: 2013 (February 21). 'The drivers of success and failure for SRI in Chattisgarh' by Dinesh Marothia . 23.42 min. indiawaterportal channel, YouTube. [Presentation at the IWMI-TATA Annual Partners' meet at Anand, Gujarat in November 2012]
- Audio-Slideshow. 2013 (February 15). India's Rice Revolution. 4:44 min. Produced by Vidal and Jim Powell. The Guardian, global development section. [Norman Uphoff narrates slideshow about SRI's success in Bihar and elsewhere.]
- Video: 2013 (January 26). Introduction of rainfed SRI. 8:01 min. Humayun Kabir, YouTube. [n 2010, Metta Development Foundation introduced a modification of SRI for the rainfed areas of Shan State in Myanmar.]
- [accessed 12/3/12] Bhatt, Yogesh. 2013. SRI vs Traditional Aga Khan Rural Support Programme (India), Locaton Dangs District, Gujarat. Yogesh Bhatt channel, Slideshare. 14 slides. [During 2012 SRI was initiated with the help of NABARD in Dangs and Navsari district. First year was 700 farmers; 1800 during second year.]
- [accessed 12/3/12] Bhatt, Yogesh. 2013. SRI Experinces from Dangs and Navsari 2013. Yogesh Bhatt channel, Slideshare. 11 slides. [One year after AKRSP began promoting SRI in Tribal districts Dang and Navsari in Gujarat, it has been accepted by 2000 farmers. This PowerPoint shares the findings of study conducted with 100 farmers in 2013 season.]
- [uploaded 11/19/13] Harris-White, Barbara. 2013. Climate Change and Materialities: The Case of Rice in India. Presentation at SRI-Rice Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. November 18. 93 slides.
- [uploaded 11/27/13] Ganguly, Dolon. 2013. Jeevika Development Society - System of Rice Intensification Program. Presentation at SRI-Rice Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. November 25. 11 slides.
- [uploaded 9/9/13] 4 PowerPoints presented at the Symposium on Sustained Adoption of SRI: A Sri Lankan Perspective, held August 23, 2013, at Govijana Mandiraya, Ministry of Agriculture Baththaramulla, Sri Lanka.
1) Highlights of research launch on SRI. 6 slides. [An overview of the research and presented the findings of the biological SRI-related research.]
2) Ginigaddara, Sanjeewani. Sustainable Adoption of SRI. 22 slides. [An overview of the research and presented the findings of the biological SRI-related research.]
3) Fernando, Sanjeewa. Economic Viability of SRI. 21 slides. [An economic analysis of the research.]
4) Anuradha, Nayanajith. 2013. Social Compatibility of SRI. 24 slides.
5) Premarathne. 2013. Farmer-based research. 21 slides.
- [uploaded 9/9/13] Shihua, Lu. 1013. Integration and extension of a plastic- mulching/water-saving technique for rice production with higher yield and better resource use in southwestern China. Presentation of the Soil and Fertilizer Institute, Sichuan Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Chengdu, China. 75 slides
- [Uploaded 7/7/13] 2013. Proyecto de Arroz SR - Universidad EARTH. Presentation provided by Carlos G. Murillo. May, EARTH University, Guanacaste, Liberia, Costa Rica. [Progress of EARTH's SRI trials in Liberia as of May 2013]
- [uploaded April 15, 2012] Uphoff, Norman. 2013 The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in the Context of ‘Sustainable Crop Production Intensification’ and Adaptation to Climate Change. Presentation at FAO's Asia Regional Office, Bangkok, Thailand. April 11. 32 slides.
- [uploaded 2/15/15] Gujja, Biksham. 2013. "More with Less" - The Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative (SSI) in India and Beyond: Experience & Future Directions. Presentation at SRI-Rice Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. February 8. 40 slides.
- [uploaded 2/10/13] Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Integrating Agroecological Crop Management within Integrated Water Resource Management: Lessons from Experience with the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Presentation at the 2nd Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development. Punta del Este, Uruguay, at the CTA Side-Event on 'Partnerships for Research, Capacity Building, Innovation and Foresighting: Managing Water for Agriculture and Food in ACP Countries.' October 28. 31 slides.
- [uploaded 1/28/13] Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Insights into Plant-Microbial Symbiosis and Implications for Sustainable Agriculture - Giving Attention to 'Inner Space'. Presentation at the National Institute for Agricultural and Forestry Research (IDIAP), Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic. January 26. 67 slides.
- [uploaded 1/28/13] Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Agroecological Crop Management for Increased Productivity -- Experience with Rice and Other Crops. Presentation at Instituto Interamericano de Cooperation para la Agricultura (IICA)'s 6th International Seminar on Agricultural Policies, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, January 24. 60 slides.
- [uploaded 1/16/13] Khadka, Ram. B. 2013. System of Wheat Intensification - A New Technology for Wheat (SWI) Intensification Practiced in Kailali Nepal. Presentation by Ram B. Khadka,Programme Coordinator, European Union Food Facility, FAYA- Nepal, Dhangadhi, Kailali, Nepal. 10 slides.
- [uploaded 1/13/13] Pérez, Rena. 2013. SiCAS Sistema de Caña de Azúcar Sostenible. Presentation by Rena Pérez about the Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative in Cuba. 26 slides. (The last two slides inlcude additional explanations of the individual slides.)
- [uploaded 1/11/13] Amiri Larjani. 2012. Rice planting under dry bed transplanting. Presentation by B. Amiri Larjani about non-irrigated rice experiments (dry bed transplanting) undertaken at the Haraz Extension and Technology Development Center (HETDC) at Amol City, Mazandaran province, Iran. 6 slides.
- [uploaded 1/9/13] Jatika, Ahmed. 2013. Selamat Datang di NOSC. Presentation about the Nusantara Organic Rice Center (NOSC) in Indonesia. 14 slides.
- [uploaded 1/2/13] Adhikari, Debraj. 2012. A Sharing on System of Wheat Intensification (SWI) in Sindhuli, Nepal. Presentation to the ICWMP Farmer Field School in Sindhuli by the Plant Protection Officer, District Agriculture Development Office, Sindhuli,Nepal. 22 slides.
- See also other recent slide presenations on our SRS Slideshare site. The latest of
the 360+ PowerPoint presentations will appear at the top of the list.
- New folders uploaded: Guinea (November), Tanzania (September 10), Manipur (September 2)
- Folders updated with new material: Afghanistan (November)
- Photos added to Panama (September 17, 2013)
- 2013 (January). Mali - Douentza collection. SRI-Rice Picassa website.
- See the SRS Picasa Collection for our latest photo albums. They can be sorted by upload date from a button at the upper right hand corner.