January 1-31, 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• During the month of January 2013: 3,725 visitors from 129 countries made 4,969 visits to our website. The following is a record of items that were either linked to or directly uploaded during this period.
• January Highlights of the items below are listed on our SRI News and Views blog
- They prove farming too is rewarding [SRI among water-saving methods suggested to farmers by CEC officials.]
January 28, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Harvested results and honour through Agri department's tips on SRI [Tamil Nadu farmer gets Krishi-Karman award trophy and 5 lakh for high rice yield.]
January 28, 2013, New Indian Express (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmer gets award for cultivation feat [Madurai SRI farmer gets special award on Republic Day from the Agriculture Department for highest paddy yield].
January 27, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmers succeed despite war in Mali
January 24, 2013, Cornell Chronicle (New York, USA) [SRI project in Mali increases yields in the warzone.]
- Woman farmer honoured for record rice yield
January 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- 90 Seconds to enjoying the best-tasting rice in the marketplace [Microwaveable rice bowls with SRI rice from Cambodia and Indonesia to hit the US market.]
January 2013, Lotus Foods press release (California, USA)
- Farmers with record output in frantic search for market
- Govt reels off agro-data but lack of buyers sets off alarm
January 18, 2012, The Telegraph (Bihar, India) [High agriculture yields in Bihar need to find markets.]
- President gives Krishi Karman award to Bihar [President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Krishi Karman Award to Bihar for paddy production.]
January, 16, 2013, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Nalanda farmers inspiration for others: Nobel laureate [Joseph Stiglitz visits record-yielding SRI and SCI fields in Nalanda, Bihar]
January 13, 2013, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Self-sufficiency in rice output still eludes Mizoram [SRI credited with increasing Mizoram’s rice production 51,948 t/ha 2011-12 from 47,201 t/ha in 2010-11, surpassed 52,000 MT target.]
January 5, 2013, Seven Sisters Post (Mizoram, India)
- Farmers training programme organised [ATMA programme includes 50% subsidy for SRI farmers purchasing conoweeders and knapsack sprayers.]
January 6, 2013, HMAR In (Manipur, India)
- New improvised tool for SRI paddy planting method
[An iron roller marker can replace ropes used for marking where to transplant.]
January 3, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Shrivastava, Arun. 2013. Spurious debate on agricultural productivity -The Indian Prime Minister and agricultural establishment has lost touch with science and reality. www.Salem-News.com (Oregon, USA)
- Sharma, Devinder. 2013. Not crop diversification, Punjab needs to diversify from existing intensive farming system. Ground Reality blog. January 19. [Sharma asked Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar how he intends to ensure his state does not end up mining groundwater like Punjab. His answer: “I am aggressively promoting SRI .. which reduces water consumption by 50 to 60 per cent.” Amrik Singh's comment to the post about SRI success in Punjab is also interesting.]
- Viphou, Meas. 2013. Using new techniques for cultivating rice in Mondulkiri. Cambodian Rural Development Team website. January 16. [The NGO CRDT begins promoting SRI in Mondulkiri Province with good results.]
- Singh, Pragya. 2012. Rice transplanter for small farms. Young Designers website (National Institute for Design). [accessed Jan. 13, 2013]
- Bharucha, Zareen. 2012. Growing possibilities in Africa. STIR website. June [acquired Jan. 9, 2012]
- Brink. Rachel. 2013. Sharing the gift of improved rice fields. World Renew website. January 7. [World Renew, a Christian Reformed Church in N. America, shares info on one of the 12 Farmer Field Schools they sponsore in Cambodia that includes SRI]
- 2012. SRI: Successful campaign and encouraging in Morarano. CODEGAZ website. [Report on the French NGO CODEGAZ work in the Morarano, Madagascar.] [accquired Jan. 7, 2013]
- Choi, J. D., W. J. Park, K. W. Park and K. J. Lim. 2013. Feasibility of SRI methods for reduction of irrigation and NPS pollution in Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 241-248. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0311-9
- Noltze, Martin, Stefan Schwarze, and Matin Qaim. 2013. Impacts of natural resource management technologies on agricultural yield and household income: The system of rice intensification in Timor Leste. Ecological Economics 85: 59-68. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.10.009
- Singh, Y. V. 2013. Crop and water productivity as influenced by rice cultivation methods under organic and inorganic sources of nutrient supply. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 531-542. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0346-y
- Suryavanshi, Priyanka, Y. V. Singh, R. Prasanna, Arti. Bhatia, and Y. S. Shivay. 2013. Pattern of methane emission and water productivity under different methods of rice crop establishment. Paddy and Water Environment 11(1-4): 321-329. doi:10.1007/s10333-012-0323-5
- Gopalakrishnan, S., et al. 2012. Plant growth-promoting traits of biocontrol potential bacteria isolated from rice rhizosphere. SpringerPlus 1(1): 71-84. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-1-71 [acquired 1/8/13]
- Gehring, C., et al. 2012. Ecological intensification of rice production in the lowlands of Amazonia – Options for smallholder rice producers. European Journal of Agronomy 4(46): 25-33. doi:10.1016/j.eja.2012.11.006 [acquired 1/8/13]
- Roy, A. K., S. Chakrabarty, H. D. Chuadali, and B. C. Mahato. 2012. System of rice intensification (SRI): An experiment in Purulia under NAIP. Environment and Ecology 30(4): 1280-1284. [acquired 1/8/13]
- Amiri Larijani, Bahman, and Sayed Jalal Hoseini. 2012. Comparison of integrated chemical and organic fertilizer management on rice growth and yield under system of rice intensification (SRI). International Journal of Agronomy and Plant Production 3(S): 726-731. [acquired 1/8/13]
- Pathak, Mahesh, R. C. Shakywar, Dinesh Sah, Shyam Singh. 2012. Prevalence of insect pests, natural enemies and diseases in SRI (System of Rice Intensification) of rice cultivation in North East Region. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences 20(2): 375-379. [acquired 1/8/13]
- Sathish, H. S., Nagaratna Biradar, J. G. Angadi, S.D. Kololgi and S. Hemalatha. 2012. A study on profile of system of rice intensification (SRI) paddy growers of Karnataka. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences 25(4): 450-454 [acquired 1/8/13]
- Uphoff, N. 2012. Supporting food security in the 21st century through resource-conserving increase in agricultural production. Agriculture & Food Security 1: 18-30. doi:10.1186/2048-7010-1-18 (review article) [acquired 1/3/13]
- Uphoff, N. 2012. We are not alone: Messages from inner space. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 10(4): 263-267. doi:10.1080/14735903.2012.690957 [acquired 1/3/13]
- Sharma, Y., J. Prabhakara, D. Kachroo, and A. Samanta. 2012. Influence of puddling intensity and organic amendments on water productivity under SRI and conventional transplanting of rice and their residual effect on secceeding wheat crop. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research 46(1): 75-79.
- Sumberg, J., A. Jens, K. Giller, and J. Thompson. 2012. Response to "Combining sustainable agricultural production with economic and environmental benefits." The Geographical Journal (unpaginated). doi:10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00472.x (response to a commentary) [acquired 1/3/13]
- Sumberg, J., J. Thompson, and P. Woodhouse. 2012. Why agronomy in the developing world has become contentious. Journal of the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society: 1-13. doi:10.1007/s10460-012-9376-8 [acquired 1/3/13]
- Khumairoh, U., J. C. J. Groot, and E. A. Lantinga. 2012. Complex agro-ecosystems for food security in a changing climate. Ecology and Evolution 2(7): 1696-1704. doi:10.1002/ece3.271 [acquired 1/3/13]
- Noltze, Martin, Stefan Schwarze, and Matin Qaim. 2013. Impacts of natural resource management technologies on agricultural yield and household income: The system of rice intensification in Timor Leste. Ecological Economics 85: 59-68. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.10.009 [acquired 11/26/12]
- For complete research listings for last decade, see research section; or go to journals and theses sections.
- Wijeratna, Alex . 2012. Fed up: Now's the time to invest in agroecology. ActionAid website. (p., 1.8MB pdf) [acquired Jan. 22, 2013] [SRI refererences appear on p. 31 (SRI section under Agro-ecology's multiple benefits) and p. 33 (in CEDAC's work)]
- Gujja, Biksham, Vinod Goud, U.S Natarajan, T. V. V. V Rao, Suhasini Ramayanam and Sraban Kumar Dalai. 2012. SiCAS - Sistema de Caña de Azúcar Sostenible - Produciendo 'Más con Menos'. AgSRI website. (Spanish translation by Rena Pérez; 50p. pdf) [System of Rice Intensification principles as adapted to sugarcane by Biksham Gujja.] [acquired Jan. 2013]
- Biswas, Anibrata. 2013. SRI-India bimonthly update (Nov.-Dec). SDTT website. (10p. pdf)
- [uploaded Jan. 31, 2013] Jenkins, Devon, Stephanie Tack, and Erika Styger. 2013. System of Rice Intensification regional training 11-13 September, 2012 - Kakanitchoé (Ouémé), Rep. of Benin. System of Rice Intensification website. (26p.,1.19MB pdf)
- [uploaded Jan. 7, 2013] Oscar, Alain. 2013. Report on CODEGAZ 2012 SRI activities. System of Rice Intensification website. January. [Report from Alain Oscar, CODEGAZ, on the SRI activities by their NGO in in Burkina Faso, Cambodia and Madagascar].
- [uploaded Jan. 6, 2013] PIPM Project (FAO). 2012. Increase rice yield through the System of Rice Intensification. System of Rice Intensification website. (1p.,791KB pdf) [Instructional poster designed for the Farmer Field Schools in the 8 provinces where the Promoting Integrated Pest Management (PIPM) project is active in Afghanistan. (see project details)]
- [uploaded Jan. 6, 2013] PIPM Project (FAO). 2012. System of Wheat Intensification - An easy opportunity to increase wheat yields in Afghanistan. System of Rice Intensification website. (1p.,799KB pdf) [Instructional poster designed for the Farmer Field Schools where the Promoting Integrated Pest Management (PIPM) project is active in Afghanistan.]
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages. For docs uploaded
during the past 12 months, check also 2011 news archives.
- No new videos this month
Slide Presentations (Primarily PowerPoint) - January 2013 acquistitions
(Most of these have been uploaded to our Slideshare site)
- [uploaded 1/28/13] Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Insights into Plant-Microbial Symbiosis and Implications for Sustainable Agriculture - Giving Attention to ' Inner Space'. Presentation at the National Institute for Agricultural and Forestry Research (IDIAP), Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic. January 26. 67 slides.
- [uploaded 1/28/13] Uphoff, Norman. 2013. Agroecological Crop Management for Increased Productivity -- Experience with Rice and Other Crops. Presentation at Instituto Interamericano de Cooperation para la Agricultura (IICA)'s 6th International Seminar on Agricultural Policies, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, January 24. 60 slides.
- [uploaded 1/16/13] Khadka, Ram. B. 2013. System of Wheat Intensification - A New Technology for Wheat (SWI) Intensification Practiced in Kailali Nepal. Presentation by Ram B. Khadka,Programme Coordinator, European Union Food Facility, FAYA- Nepal, Dhangadhi, Kailali, Nepal. 10 slides.
- [uploaded 1/13/13] Pérez, Rena. 2013. SiCAS Sistema de Caña de Azúcar Sostenible. Presentation by Rena Pérez about the Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative in Cuba. 26 slides. (The last two slides inlcude additional explanations of the individual slides.)
- [uploaded 1/11/13] Amiri Larjani. 2012. Rice planting under dry bed transplanting. Presentation by B. Amiri Larjani about non-irrigated rice experiments (dry bed transplanting) undertaken at the Haraz Extension and Technology Development Center (HETDC) at Amol City, Mazandaran province, Iran. 6 slides.
- [linked to 1/9/13] Jatika, Ahmed. 2013. Selamat Datang di NOSC. Presentation about the Nusantara Organic Rice Center (NOSC) in Indonesia. 14 slides.
- [uploaded 1/2/13] Adhikari, Debraj. 2012. A Sharing on System of Wheat Intensification (SWI) in Sindhuli, Nepal. Presentation to the ICWMP Farmer Field School in Sindhuli by the Plant Protection Officer, District Agriculture Development Office, Sindhuli,Nepal. 22 slides.
- See also other recent slide presenations on our SRS Slideshare site. The latest of
the 350+ PowerPoint presentations will appear at the top of the list.