- 2016 News about SRI in India
[August 24, 2016] During the first half of 2016, SRI-Rice archived over 30 articles about SRI in India in the English language online press. In addition to articles relating to the entire country, articles came from news sources in Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kashmir, Manipur, Nagaland, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Telangana. The bulk of the items were from Tamil Nadu. [The archive for 2016 and previous years can be found in the SRI-Rice India News section.]
- Madurai Farmer Records Highest Yield for 2014-2015 with SRI
[January 27, 2016] Prasanna Padmanabhan, a farmer from Thiruppalai village, Madurai district, Tamil Nadu, has recorded the highest paddy yield through the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in 2014-15. During the Republic Day celebrations on January 26, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa honoured her with a special award of 5 lakh and a medal worth Rs 3,500. She cultivated TRY3 paddy variety on half acre with a yield of 3,223 kg. [See NYOOZ article for details.]
- Amod Thakur Wins J.J. Chinoy Gold Medal / Publishes Article Summing Up Underpinnings of SRI
[December 2015] Dr. Amod Kumar Thakur, Senior Scientist of ICAR-Indian Institute of Water Management, Bhubaneswar, received the prestigious J. J. Chinoy Gold Medal Award instituted by the Indian Society for Plant Physiology during the 3rd International Plant Physiology Congress held December 11-14 at JNU, New Delhi. Thakur (shown at right), who won the award for his significant contribution to plant physiology research, has been working on the physiological basis of rice grown under System of Rice Intensification for the past 10 years. Just prior to winning the award, he completed an article on the science behind SRI, which was co-authored by Norman Uphoff and Willem Stoop. The early online version of the article, entitled Scientific underpinnings of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI): What is known so far?, was published on December 4 in Advances in Agronomy.
- Sabarmatee Wins Odisha Living Legend Award for 2015
[December 3, 2015] Sabarmatee, who has worked tirelessly on questions of gender related to SRI and other rural issues, has received the highest level of civil award in the Odisha, the "Odisha Living Legend Award 2015" for excellence in social service. She is currently providing leadership for the NGO Sambhav and completing her PhD at Wageningen University. [See article in the Orissa Diary for details. Also see Sabarmatee's presentation on SRI sociotechnical interactions, which investigates how tasks related to growing rice affect men and women differently.]
- Debashish Sen Receives PhD Degree from Wageningen University
[November 2015] Debashish Sen successfully defended his dissertation at Wageningen University and Research Center (WUR) during November 2015. His thesis, entitled How smallholder farmers in Uttarakhand reworked the System of Rice Intensification: Innovations from sociotechnical interactions in fields and villages, endeavored to understand how farmers respond to an intervention like SRI and what this tells us about SRI as a socio-technical system. The main research question addressed was how SRI, conceived as a set of practices introduced from outside the communities, was incorporated into the local rice farming system in three contrasting Uttarakhand villages in the Bhilangana sub-basin of the Western Himalayan region of India. Sen's thesis provides insights into the integration of social and technical dimensions of crop cultivation, particularly the dynamics of rice farming using SRI but also for agronomy as a whole. [See video of Wageningen session.]
- PRAN's Work on SRI to Be Awarded "Skoch Order of Merit"
[September 23, 2014] Anil Verma, Executive Director of PRAN, accepted an award for extending SRI and SRI principles for other crops. His project was selected by the jury as amongst the best in the country and was conferred the “Skoch Order of Merit” during the 37th Skoch Summit on "Minimum Government, Maximum Governance" at the India Habitat Centre, New Delhi on the September 19-20, 2014.
- SDTT/Livolink Foundation to Hold SRI Research Conference in Bhubaneswar
[August 2014] The Research Conference on System of Rice Intensification: Research Issues, Priorities and Prospects was held August 12-13, 2014, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. It was organized by the Livolink Foundation with support from Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Allied Trusts, Mumbai (SDTT). The major objectives of this national event were: to provide a common platform for researchers to deliver and discuss the scope of research on SRI; to identify emerging research demand on various techno-social issues related to SRI as expressed by various stakeholders and to match it with the available resources from the SDTT programme; to consolidate findings and achievements made so far through adaptive research by experienced organizations (research institutes, SAU, Krishi Vigyan Kendras, resource NGOs, CBOs, etc); to identify and discuss constraints and opportunities based on practical experiences to expedite further expansion of SRI in India; and, to invite proposals on the identified research areas under the SDTT-supported SRI programme. The meeting also identified priority themes on SRI research that could be supported using available resources from the SDTT-SRI programme. During Kharif 2013, the SDTT-SRI programme has benefited nearly 200,000 households through a network of 70 partner organizations that cover 51 districts in 6 intensive programme states of India (Odisha, Jharkhand, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Assam and Manipur). (For more information on the conference, see the SDTT-SRI website. The PowerPoint presentations are also available on Ashutosh Pal's slideshare channel.)
on SRI as a Socio-Technical Movement in India to be held at the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences
[July 16, 2014] A conference on Changes in Rice Production and Rural Livelihoods: New Insights on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) as a Socio-Technical Movement in India, was held June 19-21 at the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NASC) in New Delhi. The workshop addressed current challenges for food security and livelihoods in India by looking at the production of food crops by farmers in interaction with the agricultural innovation system. Results from several projects and programmes were presented, followed by discussion of the implications for policy agendas regarding agricultural research, food security and rural development. Presentations included, among others, results of a major research programme on SRI in India by Indian partners together with Wageningen University, the Netherlands, that has been ongoing for the past four years. The overall question is how to understand and explain the spread of SRI as a socio-technical phenomenon and driver of agrarian change. By linking a diverse set of studies and perspectives, the seminar aimed to create a wider understanding of food production and rural livelihoods in India, creating new opportunities for science as well as policy paradigm. More information on this event can be found in the conference program. Thirty-two PowerPoints, photos, and presentation abstracts are available. The workshop was organized by Wageningen University, National Consortium on SRI, and Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar. For more information, see the conference website, the final workshop report or contact Shambu Prasad.
- SDTT-SRI Partners' Meet Takes Place in Chhattisgarh
[May 26, 2014] The sixth annual SDTT-SRI Partners Meet took place March 21-22, 2014 at Raipur, Chhattisgarh. The theme was "Mainstreaming of the SDTT-SRI Program: Achievements and Constraints." The event, which was supported by Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and allied Trusts under the SDTT-SRI Programme, was organized by Livolink Foundation, Bhubaneswar and hosted by PRADAN, Raipur. Sixty participants were in attendance, representing Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and allied Trusts, Mumbai; various departments of Government of Chhattisgarh; SRI programme partner NGOs from different states of the country; senior officials and scientists from State Agricultural University; practicing farmers, and notable experts on SRI methodology. (See 22 workshop presentations). Several months after the workshop, an MoU was signed with NABARD for upscaling SRI and crop intensification in four District of south Odisha.
- T.M. Thiyagarajan Wins Lifetime Achievement Award at Agri Expo for Work with SRI
[March 2014] A lifetime achievement award was presented to Dr. T. M. Thiyagarajan on December 22, 2013, by the leading Tamil daily Dinamalar during Agri Expo 2014 in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. The award was given for initiating research on the System of Rice Intensification and introducing it in Tamil Nadu, where farmers have benefited greatly from adopting SRI methods. Thiyagarajan is on the AME Foundation Board of Trustees, former Director of Bengaluru Centre for Soil and Crop Management Studies, and former dean of Coimbatore Agricultural College and Research Institute, Killikulam, at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. See also video of Thiyagarajan receiving the Lifetime Award and an article, My Destiny, My Profession, that he wrote about his life's work.
- Tripura Gets Krishi Karman Award for Food-Grain Production; SRI Credited for Progress Toward Self-Sufficiency
[February 15, 2014] According to a TNT article, Tripura was awarded the Krishi Karman award for food-grain production in category III states with total food-grain production less than 1 million tons. President Pranab Mukherjee presented the award to the Tripura agriculture minister Aghore Debbarma on February 10 in New Delhi. The state achieved a net production of 7.25 MT food-grains against a requirement of 8.54 MT. Debbarma said that the state has achieved commendable development in food-grain production, especially with the adoption of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). The agriculture minister further noted that the state is confident of reaching the target production by the next three years.
- Erode Farmer Wins Special Award for Highest SRI Yield in Tamil Nadu
[January 27, 2014] As part of the Republic Day celebrations on January 26, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa presented a special award to a farmer who obtained the highest yield using SRI in the state. N. Parameswaran, from Nasiyanur village, Erode district, Tamil Nadu, received the special award for his SRI yield 6,110 kg/acre. The award included 5 lakh rupees in cash and a medal worth 3,500. (See New Indian Express article).
- Karur District Man Wins Best Farmer Award from Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
[January 20, 2014] Software Engineer-turned-farmer Shri G. Karikalan of Keelapatti village, Karur district, has been awarded the Velanmai Chemmal (Best Farmer) Award from Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore during the farmers day function on January 11, 2014. According to J. Diraviam, KVK Karur programme coordinator, Karikalan received the award for his adoption and promotion of resource conservation technologies, particularly SRI and SSI technologies, and promoting a farmer producer company (FPO).
Since his adoption of SRI three years ago following a KVK training, there are now around 10 villages that have moved from conventional planting to with SRI methods; his own village has an impressive 80% adoption. Since 2011, Karikalan has also trained 25 women's groups in SRI methods, which has resulted in over 1000 ha of SRI-planted fields in Karur district during the past three years. He had also used the FPO for supply of quality inputs specifically conoweeders for the benefit of his fellow farmers. [source: Jan. 19 post by Diraviam on the SRI-India Google Group.]
For 1999-2013 SRI activities, see SRI India Archives
- [See complete India Publications page]
- General articles, blog posts and reports (English)
- News Items (English)
- News and publications (Indian languages)
- Map of institutions and organizations carrying out research on SRI in India
- Chronological listing of research papers about SRI in India (See also conference presentations page)
- Refworks India searchable database (note!! click on the "view button" at right of each entry to view link and metadata)
- Mendeley collection - join Mendeley to share your articles with our SRI Research Network and have access to bibliography of items on India as well items keyworded by subject matter.
- See all extension and practical manuals about SRI in India
- Practical information about SRI in India by language:
[English] [Hindi] [Oriya] [Tamil][Telugu]
- (See also videos with principles/instructions material and demonstrations of SRI methods.)
- (See also newsletters and bulletins)
- Research Conference on the System of Rice Intensification: Research Issues, Priorities and Prospects
August 12-13, 2014, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Organized by the Livolink Foundation with support from Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Allied Trusts, Mumbai (SDTT)
- Changes in Rice Production and Rural Livelihoods: New Insights on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) as a Socio-Technical Movement in India
June 19-21, 2014, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, NASC Complex, DPS Marg, PUSA, New Delhi
Organized by Wageningen University, National Consortium on SRI, and Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar
- SDTT-SRI Partners Meet: Mainstreaming of the SDTT-SRI Program: Achievements and Constraints
March 21-22, 2014, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
Organized by Livolink Foundation, Bhubaneswar; hosted by PRADAN, Raipur; supported by Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and allied Trusts under the SDTT-SRI Programme
- Stakeholders' Consultative Workshop
SRI as a Socio-technical Movement in India: Research with Wageningen University, Netherlands
August 2, 2013, Training Hall 2, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- SRI National Symposiums
2006 (Nov. 17-18, ANGRAU, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad), 2007 (Oct. 3-5, Agartala in Tripura), 2008 (Dec.1-3, TNAU, Coimbatore)
- National workshop on SRI
October 10, 2010 at the National Centre for Agricultural Economics and Policy Research in cooperation with the NGO PRADAN
- The International Symposium on System Intensification towards Food & Environmental Security
Feb 24- 27, 2011, Farmers' Training Centre (FTC- Lake Hall), Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal, India
Organized by the Crop and Weed Science Society (CWSS), Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya (BCKV), NABARD, Kolkata
- National Colloquium on the System of
Crop Intensification (SCI)
March 1, 2011, organized by the Bihar Rural Livelihoods Promotion Society (BRLPS), in Patna, Bihar State
- Status of SRI in India: Upscaling Strategy and Global Experience Sharing
March 3, 2011, at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) in New Delhi.
- SRI-India: Google Group created in 2007 to promote information and discussion amongst farmers, civil society practitioners, researchers and others interested SRI. The majority of the traffic relates to SRI in India. To subscribe: see http://groups.google.com/group/sriindia or send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SRI-Orissa - Google Group for supporting the learning alliance on SRI in Orissa. To subscribe: http://groups.google.com/group/sriorissa and follow the instructions, or send e-mail to: email@example.com (see also website)
- JAI SRI - a Google Group on System of Crop Intensification (SCI) and SRI by the Indian National Consortium on SRI (NCS), a network to enhance the science of SCI, improve cultivation practices, and engage in policy advocacy through learning and sharing. To subscribe: - https://groups.google.com/group/jaisri/subscribe or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- SSI (sugarcane): The Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative (SSI-India) is a Google Group created in 2009 to provide practical options to sugarcane farmers using practices based SRI principles as SRI. Traffic relates primarily to India. To subscribe: see SSI website (http://groups.google.com/group/SSI-India/) or send an e-mail to: SSI-India@googlegroups.com
- System of Rice Intensification (SRI) Programme "Sir Dorabji Tata Trust (SDTT) And Allied Trusts" (SDTT-SRI)
- WASSAN's SRI web page
- JAI-SRI AP (Joint Action Initiative on SRI-Andrha Pradesh)
- System of Rice Intensification - SRI-India (originally maintained by an ICRISAT/WWF program)
- System of Rice Intensification - Facebook SRI Group for primarily Indian topics
- (See listservs/groups for related groups)