Featured Items: APRIL 2012
April 12, 2012
SRI RESEARCH: More Published Articles
about the System of Rice Intensification than You Might Think!
While critics sometimes point to a lack of research that can verify claims of SRI success, there may be more published research than most people are aware of. In addition to generating knowledge, SRI-Rice at Cornell University collects, organizes and shares information about the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) from all over the world. This week, we finished updating our collection of SRI research citations, and have been looking forward to sharing it with the global SRI community for quite a while!
250 Articles in Scientific Journals
The journal articles are listed in 1) a chronological list of 250 articles in scientific journals and 2) a searchable RefWorks database that (in most cases) includes abstracts. (While the chronological list contains only articles and communications published in journals, the RefWorks database can also pull up theses, conference presentations and some research posted directly on organizational and institutional websites.)
What about Access?!
Unfortunately, many of the journal articles listed are not free. Pay-per-view items may also be accessible through nearby libraries or research institutions, AGORA (for those who are in eligible countries), or by contacting the corresponding author. Even without access to the full articles, abstracts can be found by locating the title in the RefWorks database and clicking on the "view" button to the right of each title. (If there is interest, we could indicate on the list which items are freely available).
Still More Out There....
Our research database is far from complete! We recently finished a Chinese SRI research bibliography and in the coming weeks we hope to complete a preliminary India research bibliography. We know that there is far more research being carried out than we are capturing - especially in India, Indonesia and China. So, if you know of any publications (online or hard copy) that we are missing, please do send them our way: email@example.com.
Here Are the Ways to Access SRI Research on the SRI-Rice website
- Chronological bibliographic listing (journal articles from all countries)
- Searchable research database (RefWorks database that includes journal articles as well as theses and proceedings)
- Chinese research articles (chronological bibliography) and searchable Chinese RefWorks database
- Indian journal articles (forthcoming)
- Special SRI edition of Paddy and Water Environment (March 2011) - shown at right
- Research in specific countries (see articles or research/evaluation sections of specific country pages)
- The PhD dissertations and master's theses page contains research on SRI from universities in more than ten countries. Others that are not currently online will be made available soon!
Research presented at conferences and meetings
- Many articles, posters and presentations from conferences, forums, and other national and international meetings are included in the RefWorks research database. Some can be found on the conferences page. (We will soon be embarking on a proceedings page for India events, so please check the India page for updates.)
- The SRI-Rice slide presentations page provides access to 300+ (primarily) PowerPoint presentations, many of which contain research findings presented at conferences, forums and other meetings.
Research in other documents
- For research included in project reports, see reports and articles section of individual countries
- (For other non-research SRI publications and multimedia, see the general publications page)
(photo at top right of April 12 item by Erika Styger-- Hamidou Guindo and Mahamane Houssa collect yield data in the village of Hara Hara, Dire, Timbuktu, Mali)
---- The SRI-Rice Research Database Team: Lucy Fisher, Devon Jenkins, Erika Styger, Norman Uphoff, Weifen Qiu, Zhoucen Feng, Lorraine Perricone-Dazzo, Gene Fifer and Renling Zhang