June 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-Rice Statistics for June 2015: 5,180 unique visitors (4,805 last month) from 97 countries (102 last month) viewed 9,469 pages (10,805 last month) on the SRI website. Total Facebook all-time likes 1,635 (36 new this month). Twitter followers: 1,142 (26 new this month). Total YouTube views: 51,565 (1,262 new this month). Slideshare: 6,748 views this month (480,191 total for past 5 years), 432 slideshows/posters uploaded and 170 subscribers. There are 643 items in our Refworks research database. (These also appear in the Mendeley SRI Research Network site.) We now have 199 (7 new) members of the SRI Equipment Exchange as of the end of June!
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during June: [Cambodia, India news, Indonesia, Liberia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Thailand, Zambia, SRI-Rice news, theses, events, projects, seminars, 2015 news, videos]
News from past months
- 3.6 L Benefit from rural poverty elimination plan [100,000 households benefit from adoption of SRI, line sowing and seed village concept in World Bank TRIPTI program in 10 districts in Odisha, India.]
June 29, 2015, New Indian Express (Odisha, India)
- Hail the humble paddy
June 29, 2015, Kathmandu Post (Nepal)
- GKEL promotes livelihood transformation activities in Mangalpur Panchayat [Power Company in Odisha promotes SRI; 60 SRI farmers last year earned Rs.2000/ extra income per acre of land]
June 27, 2015, OdishaDiary.tv (Odisha, India)
- Sierra Leone news: WAAPP Sierra Leone on sub-regional SRI champions experience sharing in Liberia
June 25, 2015, Awoko (Sierra Leone)
- Nagapattinam farmers get first phase of kuruvai package [SRI to be introduced to save irrigation water]
June 25, 2015, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Liberia leading in WAAPP's SRI rice production
June 24, 2015. Daily Observer (Liberia)
- Training on SRI held in Niuland
June 24, 2015, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- 'Liberia spends US$200 yearly on rice importation' - Lawmaker
June 22, 2015, Front Page Africa (Liberia)
- Richmond company educating American consumers about the benefits of rice
June 21, 2015, Contra Costa Times (California, USA)
- “Follow SRI technique in ‘kar’ paddy cultivation”
June 18, 2015, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Rice cultivation method shows the way [SRI methods extended to a number of other crops in India]
June 8, 2015, The Hindu (Odisha, India)
- Agar produktivitas padi naik, petani perlu bangun sistem irigasi hemat air (UGM professor suggests SRI to save water)
June 7, 2015, Bhatariamedia.com (Jogjakarta, Indonesia)
- Rs. 41-cr. package for TN delta farmers [Delta farmers encouraged to take up mechanized transplanters with SRI.]
June 5, 2015, The Hindu (Talangana, India)
- 160-cr compensation for storm-hit farmers [West Bengal opts to promote SRI due to erratic weather]
June 3, 2015, The Stateman (West Bengal, India)
- 4 community-based organisations awarded $35,000 [US African Development Foundation (USADF) awards funds for rice mill for Centre for System of Rice Intensification farmers]
June 3, 2015, The Daily Mail (Zambia)
- 2015. Nepali rice farmers need appropriate technologies to boost yields, says expert. Oryza website. June 30.
- 2015. Humphrey Fellows learn about the Olam Prize and the System of Rice Intensification. In Humprey Fellows Newsletter 2015. June. [Article is on page 12.]
- Qureshi, Yasir. 2015. Promoting SRI in flood affected areas of Kashmir. IGSSS website. June 26. [IGSSS will keep promotion of SRI a key focus area in Baramulla and Bandipora districts of Kashmir.]
- 2015. Government of Liberia needs to empower farmers to boost rice production, says lawmaker. Oryza website. June 23.
- Miller, Scott. 2015. Having a field day! Farmers get peek at latest agricultural research. Clemson University Newsstand website. June 12.
- Thansrithong, Boonsong. 2015. Community member spotlight - Fah Mui: Biological S.R.I. rice farmer. ECHO Community website. June 2.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during June 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Jana, Kalyan, G. K. Mallick, S. Ghosh, and G. Sarda. 2015. Study on yield potentiality and spatial requirement of rice varieties (Oryza sativa L.) in system of rice intensification (SRI) under red and laterite zone of West Bengal, India. Journal of Applied and Natural Sciences 7 (1) : 353-357. [accessed June 30, 2015]
- Uphoff, Norman. 2014. Systems thinking on intensification and sustainability: systems boundaries, processes and dimensions. Current opinion in environmental sustainability 8: 89-100. doi:10.1016/j.cosust.2014.10.010 [accessed June 30, 2015]
- Doni, Febri, Norela Sulaiman, Anizan Isahak, et al. 2015. Impact of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) on Paddy Field Ecosystem: Case Study in Ledang, Johore, Malaysia. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 9(2), p. 927-933. [accessed June 30, 2015]
- Ofori, Johnson K., Cephas Bosrotsi, and Joseph Otoo. 2015. Optimal allocation of irrigation water for rice production in Ghana - Case study: Kpong Irrigation Project (KIP). International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research and Innovations 3(1): 25-30. [accessed June 8, 2015]
- Ravichandran, V. K., and K. C. Prakash. 2015. Socio-economic impact of system of rice intensification (SRI) and traditional rice cultivation in Villupuram district of Tamil Nadu: experiences from TN-IAMWARM Project. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences 11(1): 166-171. doi:0.15740/HAS/IJAS/11.1/166-171 [accessed June 1, 2015]
- 2015. Nepal SRI Community. Facebook. June 24.
- CODEGAZ. 2015. 2014 agro-nutrition and energy report. SRI Afrique Ouest website. [accessed June 2015]
- Reddy, P. Bala Hussain, S. Sreenivasulu and C. Manohar. 2015. Direct seeding in rice using drum seeder. FlipHTML5 website. June 3.
- 2015 (June 29). Know about System of Rice Intensification (SRI). 8:42 min. News18 - English channel, YouTube. [News program from Uttarakhand, India, on how to use SRI methods.]
- Bhatt, K. N. 2015. Finger Millet for Nutrition, Health and Ecological Security: Increasing Productivity through "SFMI". Presented at Presented at the SRI-Rice Seminar Series, Cornell University, June 5, 2015. 49 slides. [uploaded June 7, 2015]