April 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-Rice Statistics for April 2015: 4,887 unique visitors (5,406 last month) from 103 countries (95 last month) viewed 11,503 pages (11,929 last month) on the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 4,810 (7,775 last month) with 1,560 all-time likes. Twitter followers: 1,083 (24 new this month). Total YouTube views: 48,193 (868 new this month). Slideshare: 7,102 views this month, 428 slideshows/posters uploaded and 164 subscribers. There are 634 items in our Refworks research database. (These also appear in the Mendeley SRI Research Network site.) We now have 186 (17 new) members of the SRI Equipment Exchange as of the end of April!
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during April: [home page, journals, SRI-Rice news, Vietnam archives, Bangladesh, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Tanzania, Indonesia, Madagascar, news, March additions, publications page, events, seminar page, videos, seminars, projects, India research page.]
News from past months
- How rice farmers in Africa can point us out of California's water crisis
April 30, 2015, Christian Science Monitor (New York, USA)
- Rice intensification helps Ilolo Mpya residents out
April 28, 2015, IPP Media (Tanzania)
- Savanna Agric Institute to enhance rice production
April 28, 2015, GhanaWeb (Ghana)
- IIT researchers turn farmers to change agriculture
April 22, 2015, New Indian Express (West Bengal, India)
- Atelier National de Coordination et d’échange sur la riziculture : L’USAID s’implique pour la promotion du système riziculture intensif au Mali [An SRI workshop, held April 17-18 at CICB in Mali]
April 21, 2015, MaliJet.com (Mali) [Also available on MaliWeb]
- BI Bali Tanam Padi Terapkan Teknologi SRI
April 21, 2015, MetroTVNews (Bali, Indonesia)
- Tanzania: System of Rice Intensification - Another milestone in rice production
April 17, 2015, AllAfrica (Tanzania)
- 7 teknologi peningkatan produktivitas padi
April 14, 2015, Jitunews (Jakarta, Indonesia)
- Enriching lives of small rice farmers [Natl. WAAPP Nigeria Coordinatorsay says SRI will be undertake in Ebonyi, Niger and Jigawa states, with additional demplots by the NGO GISARDI in Jigawa State.]
April 10, 2015, The Nation (Nigeria)
- Stimlasi anggaran untuk suksesnya Upsus
April 8, 2015, Sinartani (Indonesia)
- Tirkey, Nisha. 2015. The world is flat. DigitalGREEN website. April 30.
- BCtA/UNDP and Lotus Foods. 2015. Lotus Foods: Cultivating markets for sustainably produced rice. UNDP website. April 29.
- Randall, Rebecca. 2015. Has agroecology been hijacked by activists more concerned about anti-GMO purity than sustainability? Genetic Literacy Project website. April 27.
- 2015. El System of Rice Intensification ahora con el premio Olam será un método sobrevalorado. Ruta de Arroz website. April 16.
- 2015. EAP: SRI-Rice talk - Dr. Kan Chun-E "The System of Rice Intensification in Taiwan." Einaudi Center website. April 16.
- Megareta, Nindia. 2015. Teknik budidaya padi methode S.R.I. (System of Rice Intensification). Catatan Nindia blog. April 11. [Indonesian langauge review of SRI practices]
- DATE?: Strengthening the capacity for climate change adaptation through sustainable land and water management in Kiroka village, Morogoro (#452). Global Water Partnership website, Case Studies section.
- 2015. Development of operational guideline for conducting demonstration plot of efficient use of irrigation water and low emission of GHG using System of Rice Intensification (SRI) for various condition of rice fields in Indonesia. Global Water Partnership website. April 1.
- 2015. Five questions for IFAD. An original technique for growing rice, that is spreading by word of mouth across Madagascar. Expo Net. April 2.
- Bell, Patrick. 2015. Improving rice production. Sense and Sustainability blog. April 1. [Unfortunately says that there is not enough research about SRI..]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during April 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Durga, K. Kanaka, P. Sambasiva Rao, P, and K. Raju. 2015. Effect of seedling age and spacing schedule on the productivity and quality traits of rice under system of rice intensification (SRI). Journal of Cereals and Oilseeds 6(3): 15-19. [accessed Apr. 28, 2015]
- Mohandas, S., M. Naveen Saviour, and B. J. Pandian. 2015. Performance of SRI under different N sources in sandy loam soils of Agniyar sub-basin, India. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research 49(2): 170-174. doi:10.5958/0976-058X.2015.00025.6
- Husain, Muazzam. 2015. SRI National Network Bangladesh update of SRI progress in Bangladesh (April 2015). SRI-Rice website. April 30. [Report on the past 15 years of progress of SRI in Bangladesh by the Coordinator of the SRI National Network Bangladesh (SRI NBB)].
- Uphoff, Norman T. 2015. Publications by Norman Uphoff on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). SRI-Rice website. (6p., 394KB pdf) [Bibliographic listing of Norman Uphoff research and general articles, book chapters and and other selected writings about SRI]
- Video: 2015 (April 20). Arsenic in Rice: From Field to Fork. min. Cornell Transnational Learning channel, YouTube. [A seminar at Cornell University by John Duxbury, April 10, 2015.]
- Video: 2015 (April 6). Senegal – SRI bassin arachidier. 16:52 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2015 (April 17). SRI in Cô̂te d'Ivoire. 11.06 min. Produced by FIRCA. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [TV clip from the Ivory Coast FIRCA show Terre & Progrès]
- Video: 2015 (April 6). CHAP TV Spot: SRI in Liberia. 1:33 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2015 (April 6). Ghana Rice Inter Professional Body's System of Rice Intensification Project. 23:06 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [A segment on a project by the Ghana Rice Inter Professional Body that was funded by govt.'s Skills Development Fund to improve rice production in order to reduce imports. The SRI segment, which starts at min. 4:30, reports yield increased from 2 to 8 tons for some.]
- Video: 2015: (April 6). Video SRI Guinée. 18.26 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2014 (January). CODEGAZ et la genèse du SRI (système de riziculture intensive) à Madagascar. 21.39 min. CODEGAZVIDEO channel, Youtube. [French language video about the work with SRI by the NGO CODEGAZ in Madagacar.] -(While not new, we had not linked to it until April 2015).
- Kan, Chun-E. 2015. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Taiwan: Results of Trials, Adapting to Existing Farming Systems and Local Conditions, and Making Links with the Private Sector. Presented at Cornell University, April 16, 2015. 20 slides. [uploaded April 20, 2015]