April 1-30, 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• Website statistics for April 2013: 5,713 visitors (5,395 last month) from 115 countries made 7,726 visits (7,219 last month) to our website. The following is a record of items that were either linked to or directly uploaded during this period.
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• (Previous months website additions: March and February).
• See April activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News Articles - April 2013
- Ramnad farmer blazes new trail [First Ramanthapuram farmer with single bud chip sugarcane nursery explains how he is profiting from SSI methods]
April 30, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
He spends less to net more [National Agro Foundation (NAF) helps young farmer make ends meet with SRI]
April 28, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Bihar to produce 100 lakh tonnes paddy this year [Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to launch a SRIvidhi mahaabhiyan (major campaign) April 24 to create more SRI awareness and to encourage farmers to adopt it.]
April 23, 2013 Business Standard (Bihar, India)
- Emphasis on diversification of agriculture [GOI emphasizing crops/varieties requiring less water. Early maturing varieties for use in drought/moisture stress conditions for use with SRI, DSR, aerobic rice and AWD.]
April 23, 2013, Press Information Bureau (India)
- Share experience to overcome challenges in agriculture [New farm school near Thanjavur, TN, to stress SRI and other water-saving methods]
April 22, 2013 The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- SRI system of farming to be extended to 1,500 acres
[About 250 agriculture extension workers are will reach farmers in 24 districts of Karnataka. Also, 1,000 farmers will take up SSI for sugarcane in Belgaum.]
April 18, 2013, Deccan Herald (Karnataka, India)
- Syngenta Bets on automated rice as M&A options dwindle [Apparently SRI is providing competition for Syngenta's automated rice production?]
April 17, 2013, Bloomberg Business Week
- ‘Farmers’ Festival’ begins in Nellai [TN Minister of Tourism recommends SRI to farmers in his address]
April 16, 2013 The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Pengembangan padi SRI masih jadi anak tiri
April 15, 2013, Republika Online (South Sumatra, Indonesia)
- Adopt SRI, paddy farmers urged [SRI taken up on 84,391 hectares of land in 84 villages in Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu]
April 15, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Norway-funded project comes to farmers' aid [Norway-funded ClimaAdapt Project in 7 TN villages in Ponnaniar Basin includes SRI]
April 12, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
Seeds of progress
April 11, 2013, Deccan Herald (Karnataka, India)
Some tips to enhance SRI rice yield [Some added practices from a TNAU researcher on SRI nursery and water management]
April 10, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
PH to import rice from Cambodia [Article attributes some of Cambodian rice success to SRI]
April 7, 2013, mb.com.ph (Manila, Philippines)
- 2013. India's Bihar State plans large scale SRI popularization campaign to boost rice production. Oryza website. April 24.
- 2013. "System of Rice Intensification is a way of human resource development, not just rice modification technique." Agriculture & Industry Survey 23(4): 20-21. April. [Interview with Norman Uphoff]
- Nirmala. 2013. Profitability of System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Rice Knowledge Management Portal. April 18.
- Bouman, Bas. 2013. SRI: Why the animosity? Bas Bouman's blog. April 16.
- Grover, Sami. 2013. How small-scale farmers are growing more rice with less water and fewer chemicals. Mother Nature Network website. April 15.
- Kumar, Raksha. 2013. For farmers in Bihar, A simple solution for more crops. India Ink (New York Time - India) blog. April 9. [Article about System of Crop Intensification in Bihar, India.)
- Kumar, Supriya. 2013. The looming threat of water scarcity. Vital Signs (WorldWatch Institute) website. March 19. [acquired April 10, 2013]
- Bornstein, David. 2013. Where YouTube meets the farm. Opionionator blog. April 3. (Online commentary from the New York Times) [Article about Digital Green
- Tom Pietrasik. 2013. Indian farmer doubles rice yield. Tom Pietrasik blog. March 5. [Video and photos about farmer in Chhattishgarh who increased yields with SRI] [accessed April 10, 2013]
Note: These all articles below are new. Some are just new links on our site.
- Jung, Chung-Gil, Jong-Yoon Park, Seong-Joon Kim and Geun-Ae Park. 2013. The SRI (system of rice intensification) water management evaluation by SWAPP (SWAT-APEX Program) modeling in an agricultural watershed of South Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 10.1007/s10333-013-0367-1 (technical report; results showed that water could be saved and the nutrient load reduced by just applying SRI water management for rice paddies in South Korea.) [acquired 4/4/13]
- Yang, Z., et. al. 2012. Effects of nitrogen fertilizer management on yield and nitrogen use efficiency of Eryou 498 in Triangle-Planted System of Rice Intensification – 三角形强化栽培模式下氮肥运筹对II 优498产量及氮肥利用的影响. Acta Agronomica Sinica–作物学报 38(6): 1097-1106. DOI: 10.3724/SP.J.1006.2012.01097. [acquired 4/20/13]
- Sun, Y., et. al. 2012. Relationship between culm lodging resistance and population quality of hybrids under Triangle-Planted System of Rice Intensification at different nitrogen application rates and planting densities – 不同施氮量和栽插密度下三角形强化栽培杂交稻抗倒伏性与群体质量的关系. Chinese Journal of Rice Science-中国水稻科学 26(2): 189-196. DOI:10.3969/j.issn.1001-7216.2012.02.008 [acquired 4/20/13]
- For complete research acquisitions for 2013, see research section; or go to journals and theses sections.
- 2013. El SICA: Un éxito que se expande. LEISA revista de agroecología 29(1). [acquired April 17, 2013] [En esta edición, presentamos experiencias de aplicación del Sistema de Cultivo Intensivo de Arroz (SICA), una tecnología innovadora adoptada con éxito en diferentes países del mundo donde se cultiva arroz].
- Debaraj Behera, A. K. Chaudhary,V. K. Vutukuru, A. Gupta, S. Machiraju and P. Shah. Enhancing agricultural livelihoods through community institutions in Bihar, India. South Asia Livelihood Learning Note Series 3 Note 1. World Bank website. (24p., 1.68MB pdf) [acquired April 5, 2013]
- Banerjee, Soumik. 2013. Study of performance of indigenous paddy varieties under SRI and conventional practices. India Water Portal. (35p., 1.37 MB pdf) [Study commissioned by National Consortium on SRI]
- [Thiyagarajan, T.M., and Biksham Gujja. 2013. Transforming rice production with SRI: Knowledge and practice. Hyderabad: National Consortium on SRI (NCS), India. (204 p.) [updated link acquired April 18, 2013] - Originally published in July 2012.
- 3A Sahel. 2013. Final report, grant to 3A - Sahel from SRI Global Inc. System of Rice Intensification website. January 1. [English translation from French by Edward Baxter.] [uploaded April 27, 2013]
- Jenkins, Devon, Stephanie Tack, and Erika Styger. 2013. System of Rice Intensification regional training 11-13 September, 2012 - Kakanitchoé (Ouémé), Rep. of Benin. System of Rice Intensification website. (26p.,1.19MB pdf)
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages.
- Video: 2013. (April 23). Participatory video on the challenges and benefits of System of Rice Intensification. 6:07 min. Written and directed by people of Barangay Arbismen, Quezon. Produced by International Institute for Rural Reconstruction (IIRR). Mary Ann Lanais channel YouTube. (Tagalog with English subtitles obtained by turning on cc button on the YouTube screen.) [This motivational video from Barangay Arbismen, Guinayangan, Quezon, Philippines, covers implementation and benefits of SRI, which supported by Peace and Equity Foundation.]
- Radio clip: 2013 (April 11). Indonesian farmers grow organic rice successfully. 3:23 min. Produced by Radio Australia, Radio Australia website. [Interview by Amy Bainbridge with Saeful Bahri, farmer; Eda Trisnati, farm worker; Emily Sutanto, entrepreneur, about organic SRI production and export in Tasik Malaya, W. Java, Indonesia.]
- Video: 2013 (April 1). SRI technical training film, in Tra Vinh, Vietnam 2013. 16:09 min. Thu Le channel, Youtube. [Instructional video from a GIZ-supported Project of Poverty Alleviation in Rural Areas (PARA) project in Tra Vinh, Vietnam that began in 2011.
- Video: 2013 (March 22). Cambodian agriculture - The System of Rice Intensification - SRI and using fertilizer. 24:35 min. khmersexystars channel, YouTube. [from a Khmer language TV show.] [accessed April 5, 2012]
- [uploaded April 15, 2012] Uphoff, Norman. 2013 The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in the Context of 'Sustainable Crop Production Intensification' and Adaptation to Climate Change. Presentation at FAO's Asia Regional Office, Bangkok, Thailand. April 11. 32 slides.