October 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR OCTOBER 2015:
SRI-Rice website: 3,972 unique visitors (3,852 last month) from 102 countries logged 5,143 sessions in which 9,386 pages (9,387 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: All-time likes 1,736 (18 new this month). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 256 members (4 new this month)
YouTube (primary): Total views: 1,220 new this month (56,484 for past 5 years) for our 65 uploads. (2,352) views during October of our 27 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 192 total followers.
Twitter: 33 new followers this month (1,264 total followers).
Slideshare: 8,904 views new this month (518,633 total for past 5 years); 4 new added for a total of 444 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 189 followers (3 new).
Research Databases: There are 776 items in our new Zotero research database. (700+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it will be retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our SRI-Rice program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during September: 2015, about us, SRI-Rice news, August updates, Bangladesh, Cuba, Guinea, Haiti, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Malaysia, Philippines, Senegal, Senegal archives, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Vietnam, Vietnam archives, journals, projects page, methods, listservs, events, research index, seminars, videos
News from past months
- Indian expertise in agriculture can help Africa [Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) showcases SRI along with other items for promotion at the Third India-Africa Forum Summit]
October 31, 2015, The Statesman (India)
- Fending off climate change: Taking a leaf out of Nepal’s book
October 26, 2015, The Express Tribune (Pakistan- re: Nepal)
- A model to conserve indigenous paddy varieties [NGO in Pudukotti district revives 18 drought-tolerant disease-resistant traditional varieties using SRI]
October 25, 2015, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Kementan bagi-bagi traktor
[SRI credited with 10.4 ton/ha yield on 400 ha of padi in Bogor, surpassing the 6.6 ton.ha target]
October 20, 2015, Bogor Today (West Java, Indonesia)
- Program Upsus sokong produksi padi meningkat 6,64% di 2015 [SRI among the activities suggested by Minister of Agriculture to raise yields.]
October 20, 2015, Metrotvnews.com (West Java, Indonesia)
- Villages in Nepal offer Pakistan lessons on coping with climate change
October 7, 2015, Dawn (Pakistan, re: Nepal)
- Agam kembangkan pola tanam SRI seluas 280 hektare
October 8, 2015, Sumbar Online (West Sumatera, Indonesia)
- National Food Security Mission for Naga farmers since 2012
October 6, 2015, Morang Express (Nagaland, India)
- National Food Security Mission program in Kohima district [SRI has reduced labor and increased profits in Kohima district.]
October 6, 2015, WebIndia 123 (Nagaland, India)
- Nepal farmers countering climate challenges [SRI among climate-smart innovations promoted by govt. in eastern Terai; introduced into Mahadevsthan and Nayagaun villages.]
October 3, 2015, Business Standard (Nepal) [article also carried in The Statesman]
- Nierenberg, Danielle. 2015. Natural Capital Protocol: Valuing ecological farming practices. About health website. October 27. [Nierenberg suggest SRI could cut environmental costs of rice farming in India by 25 percent while simultaneously increasing profits by 18 percent.]
- 2015. 用自然农法从事农业生产能赚钱吗？必须能！(Using natural farming production can make money? You must be able!) Utopia website. October 30. [source: article in Earth News Network by Jeff Rutherford]
- 2015. Pemerintah dukung penerapan SRI. Kabupaten Luwu Timur website. October 22. (Indonesian)
- Azhari, Faisal. 2015. Prinsip budidaya padi dengan metode SRI (System of Rice Intensification). All About Agriculture blog. October 22. (Indonesia)
- Edmondson, Brad. 2015. Saving basmati and other endangered grains. TriplePundit blog. October 21.
- Azhari, Faisal. 2015. Hubungan padi SRI dengan padi organik. All About Agriculture blog. October 21. (Indonesia)
- 2015. Thirty-five water conservation methods for agriculture, farming, and gardening: Part 1. Old Farm Photos blog. October 20. [SRI/SCI listed #5 of 35 water conservation methods for agriculture]
- Edmondson, Brad. 2015. Intensifying rice: More crop per drop, So why stop?TriplePundit blog. October 14.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during October 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Ravichandran, V. K., Vibhu Nayar, and K. C. Prakash. 2015. An evaluation of the SRI on increasing yield, water productivity and profitability; experiences from TN-IAMWARM project. Irrigation & Drainage Systems Engineering 4(2): 1–6. doi:10.4172/2168-9768.1000137 [accessed Oct. 30, 2015]
- Prasanna, Radha, Anurup Adak, Shikha Verma, et al. 2015. Cyanobacterial inoculation in rice grown under flooded and SRI modes of cultivation elicits differential effects on plant growth and nutrient dynamics. Ecological Engineering 84(2015): 532–41. doi:10.1016/j.ecoleng.2015.09.033. [accessed October 30, 2015]
- Dhar, Shiva, B. C. Barah, A. K. Vyas, and Norman Uphoff. 2015. Comparing System of Wheat Intensification (SWI) with standard recommended practices in the north-western plain zone of India. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science (September 29, 2015). doi:10.1080/03650340.2015.1101518. [accessed October 16, 2015]
- Nirala, Y. S., C. M. Sahu, S. K. Ghirtlahre, et al. 2015. Studies on the seasonal incidence of leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis guenee in midland SRI and normal transplanted rice ecosystem. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture 33(2): 547–51. [accessed October 16, 2015]
- Alam, Md., Wahidul K. Biswas, and Richard W. Bell. 2015. Greenhouse gas implications of novel and conventional rice production technologies in the Eastern-Gangetic plains.” Journal of Cleaner Production 2015. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.09.071. [accessed October 16, 2015]
- Subhash, Babu, Singh Raghavendra, R. K. Avasthe, et al. 2015. Effect of organic nitrogen sources on growth, yield, quality, water productivity and economics of rice (Oryza sativa L.) under different planting methods in mid-hills of Sikkim Himalayas. Research in Crops 16(3): 389–400. doi:10.5958/2348-7542.2015.00054.6. [accessed October 16, 2015]
- • Chaudhari, P. R., A. P. Patel, V. P. Patel, et al. 2015. Effect of age of seedlings and fertilizer management on yield, nutrient content and uptake of rice (Oryza sativa L.). The Bioscan 10(1): 351–53. [accessed October 16, 2015]
- • Chhogyal, Ngawang, Cheku Dorji, et al. 2014. Assessing potential of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) principles in sustainable rice production. Journal of Renewable Natural Resources Bhutan 10: 19-26. [accessed October 26, 2015]
- • Bashar, Zubairu Usman, Aimrun Wayayok, M. S. M. Amin, and Mohammad Razif Mahadi. 2015. Single seedling nursery tray: An innovative breakthrough to quality seedling raising technique for SRI transplanting machine. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 10(11): 1258-1265.
- Ivory Coast - System of Rice Intensification. New page on the SRI-Rice website. [Uploaded October 31, 2015]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2015. September additions to the SRI-Rice website. New page on the SRI-Rice website. [Uploaded October 15, 2015]
- 2015. Aportes técnicos por SRI - Sistema Intensivo del Cultivo de Arroz. Aportes técnicos, October. SRI-Rice website. (2p., 1.58MB pdf) [Technical bulletin produced in association with SRI Global, SRI-Rice, IICA, FEDEARROZ, IDIAF, and CONIAF]
- Video: 2015 (October). Cornell 2015 Joint Annual Meeting and State of the University Address. 59:09 min. (SRI mention is minute 9:50-10:25). CornellCast website. The chair of the board of trustees, Bob Harrison (right), in his speech just before the new Cornell President’s State of the University address, mentioned SRI as the first out of four examples on Cornell’s leading role in fighting global poverty.
- Uphoff, Norman, Tareke Berhe, Ayele G. Ayetenfisu, and Zewdie Gebretsadik. 2015. The System of Tef Intensification: Opportunities for greater food security in Ethiopia, and elsewhere, through modifications in crop management. Oral presentation (by Uphoff) at the 2nd International Conference on Global Food Security, Ithaca, NY, Oct. 12-14, 2015. 24 slides.
- Uphoff, Norman, Tareke Berhe, Ayele G. Ayetenfisu, and Zewdie Gebretsadik. 2015. The System of Tef Intensification (STI): Modifying crop management for greater food security in Ethiopia . Poster presentation (by Uphoff) at the 2nd International Conference on Global Food Security, Ithaca, NY, Oct. 12-14, 2015. 24 slides.
- Mishra, Abha. 2015. Farmer Adaptation of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in the Lower Mekong Basin. Presentation at the SRI-Rice Seminar Series, Cornell University, October 12, 2015. 35 slides. [uploaded October 12, 2015]
- Ghosh, Subir. 2015. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and Reductions of Impacts of Inorganic Inputs on Coastal Waters. Subir Ghosh channel, SlideShare.net website. May 21. 4 slides. [Results of the UNDP-GEF Project on Mainstreaming Coastal and Marine Biodiversity Conservation into Production sectors in Sindhudurg Coast, Maharashtra, India] [accessed October 3, 2015]