February 2014 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for February 2014: 3,758 unique visitors from 100 countries made 11,298 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 1,578. Twitter followers: 696
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See February activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News from 2014 months
- Farmers, workers undergo training on cono weeder
February 27, 2014, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Bihar scaling new heights in agriculture production: Nitish [SRI helps Bihar achieve success]
February 25, 2014, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Nigeria: Rice value chain initiative launched [Part of the WAAPP program's SRI Initiative]
February 8, 2014, AllAfrica (Nigeria)
- ‘Basmati’ in drought-prone place [Farmer from Mallal panchayat, Tamil Nadu successfully grows Basmati with SRI]
Feburary 6, 2014, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- 2014. Allereerste SRI bio-rijst op de Belgische markt. BioJournaal website. February 24.
- Brown, Paul. 2014.Climate-friendly rice: End of the paddyfield? Climate News Network blog. February 18.
- Deb, Debraj. 2014. Tripura awarded Krishi Karman award, Govt expects self-sufficiency in foodgrains ahead of target. TNT Magazine. February 15. [Tripura agriculture minister Aghore Debbarma said that the state has achieved commendable development in food-grain production, especially with the adoption of SRI.]
- 2014. SRI can boost rice yield by eight times in Sierra Leone, researchers say. Oryza website. February 14.
- Milton, Betty. 2014. As WAAPP introduces new type of rice planting… Farmers hope to produce more. Awoko website. February 13. (Sierra Leone)
- Lawrence, Robyn Griggs. 2014. Rice intensification helps poor farmers grow rice sustainably. Occupy Watchdog blog. February 7.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during February 2014
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- • Kumar, R. Mahender, P. Raghuveer Rao, et al. 2013. SRI - A method for sustainable intensification of rice production with enhanced water productivity. Agrotechnology S11(2013): 1-6. doi:10.4172/2168-9881.S11-009 [2013 article acquired March 3, 2014]
- • Dhananchezhiyan, P., C. Divaker Durairaj, and S. Parveen. 2013. Development of nursery raising technique for "system of rice intensification" machine transplanting. Africa Journal of Agricultural Research 8(29): 3873-3882. doi:10.5897/AJAR2013.7465 [2013 article acquired March 3, 2014]
- • Abraham, Binju, Hailu Araya, et al. 2014. The system of crop intensification: Reports from the field on improving agricultural production, food security, and resilience to climate change for multiple crops. Agriculture & Food Security 3:(4): 1-26. doi:10.1186/2048-7010-3-4 (review article) [see also longer SCI monograph]
- • Rao, A. Upendra, A. V. Ramana, and T. V. Sridhar. 2013. Performance of system of rice intensification (SRI) in Godavari delta of Andhra Pradesh. Annals of Agricultural Research 34(2): 118-121. [acquired February 19, 2014]
- • Chowdhury, Md. Riton, Vinod Kumar, Abdus Sattar, and Koushik Brahmachari. 2014. Studies on the water use efficiency and nutrient uptake by rice under system of intensification. The Bioscan 9(1): 85-88. [acquired February 13, 2014]
- Takahashi, Kazushi, and Christopher B. Barrett. 2014. The System of Rice Intensification and its impacts on household income and child schooling: Evidence from rural Indonesia. American Jounal of Agricultural Economics 96(1): 269-289. doi:10.1093/ajae/aat086 [acquired February 13, 2014]
- Sulaiman, Norela, Anizan Isahak, Ismail B. S. and Maimon Abdullah. 2013. Diversity of pest and non-pest insects in an organic paddy field cultivated under the System of Rice Intensification (SRI): A case study in Lubok China, Melaka, Malaysia. Food, Agriculture and Environment 11(3&4): 2861-2865. [acquired February 13, 2014]
- • Rajitha, P. SRI and K.I. Reddy. 2014. Effect of different nutrient management options on rice under SRI method of cultivation - A review. International Journal of Plant, Animal and Environmental Sciences 4(1): 201-204. [acquired February 13, 2014]
- • Muhammad, Marinah, and M.H.H. Abdullah. 2013. Modelling and forecasting on paddy production in Kelantan under the implementation of system of rice intensification (SRI). Academia Journal of Agricultural Research 1(7): 106-113. [acquired February 13, 2014]
- Puspitawati, M. D. 2013. Study of phosphate solubilizing microbe to reduce the rate of inorganic-P fertilizer on ICM (Integrated Crop Management) and SRI (System of Rice Intensification) cultivation system. Master's thesis, Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia (IPB Scientific Repository). [acquired February 13, 2014]
- Sumathi, A., S. Mohandass, S. Ramasamy. 2014. Impact of climate change scenario on rice production in two planting methods: a simulation study. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology (SpringerLink, February 2014) doi: 0.1007/s13762-014-0517-z
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (February 2014)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- Abraham, Binju, Hailu Araya, et al. 2014. The system of crop intensification: Reports from the field on improving agricultural production, food security, and resilience to climate change for multiple crops. Agriculture & Food Security 3:(4): 1-26. doi:10.1186/2048-7010-3-4 (review article) [see also longer SCI monograph] [accessed February 28, 2014]
- Ngimbu, Henry. 2014. Cameroon joins the SRI club. System of Rice Intensification website. (40p., 1.80 MB pdf) [Report on SRI trainings and follow up in Cameroon by Zambia's Centre for SRI Initiative (CSRII) for the NGO Skills for Development] [uploaded February 14, 2014]
- Gerald Aruna and Mendesora United. 2013. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) - Achieving More with Less: A new way of rice cultivation: A manual for facilitators. System of Rice Intensification website. Hardcopy published by CRS. (25p., 1.64MB pdf) [uploaded January/February 2014]
- SRI-Rice. 2014. SCI - The System of Crop Intensification: Agroecological innovations for improving agricultural production, food security, and resilience to climate change. SRI International Network and Resources Center (SRI-Rice), Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. (72p., 4.07MB pdf)
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages. For docs uploaded during the past 12 months, check also 2013 news archives.
- [accessed February 19, 2014] Video: 2014 (February 3). System of Rice Intensification SRI transplanting. 5:06 min. FIDR Cambodia channel, YouTube. [Khmer with English subtitles]
- Styger, Erika. 2014. System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Opportunities for Liberia. 30 slides. PowerPoint presentation for the Agriculture Coordination Committee (ACC), Ministry of Agriculture, Monrovia, Liberia on February 17. [uploaded February 17, 2014]
- See also other recent slide presenations on our SRS Slideshare site. The latest of the 360+ PowerPoint presentations will appear at the top of the list.
- Cameroon photo album created (February 2014)
- Sierra Leone photo album created (February 2014)
- See the SRS Picasa Collection for our latest photo albums. They can be sorted by upload date from a button at the upper right hand corner.