May 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-Rice Statistics for May 2015: 4,805 unique visitors (4,887 last month) from 102 countries (103 last month) viewed 10,805 pages (11,503 last month) on the SRI website. Total Facebook all-time likes 1,599. Twitter followers: 1,116 (33 new this month). Total YouTube views: 50,303 (1,451 new this month). Slideshare: 7,641 views this month, 430 slideshows/posters uploaded and 167 subscribers. There are 639 items in our Refworks research database. (These also appear in the Mendeley SRI Research Network site.) We now have 192 (5 new) members of the SRI Equipment Exchange as of the end of May!
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during May: [Journals, China research, 2015 news, Cambodia, Ghana, Bangladesh, Senegal, Madagascar, Pakistan, 2015 news, SRI-Rice news, India News, events page, markets, videos, home page]
News from past months
- Babinsa pantau tanaman program System of Rice Intensification [Military works on extending SRI to 20 ha. in Buayan district, Kebumen Regency, Central Java]
May 30, 2015, Lintas Kebumen (Central Java, Indonesia)
- Odisha readying climate plan for 2015-20 [Odisha's climate change activities, increasing to 4% of budget, stress SRI]
May 28, 2015, Business Standard (Odisha, India)
- Aceh Selatan Kembangkan Pola Tanam Padi Intensif [Dept. of Agricutlure in Aceh Selatan hopes to promote SRI widely.]
May 27, 2015, Berita Satu (Aceh, Indonesia)
- 30 private actors set to invest in SAGCOT to boost agriculture [Kilombero Plantation Limited (KPL) through System for SRI tripled the average production of 6,500 farmer families and will be 7,700 families by 2015.]
May 26, 2015, IPP Media (Tanzania)
- KVK Mon, Mokokchung train farmers
May 26, 2015, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- Kharif target set with rain in sight [Ag. Department asked to popularize the SRI.]
May 24, 2015, New Indian Express (Odisha, India)
- Cooperating through BRICS [... SRI "is an example of an easy to disseminate, proven productivity enhancing cropping practice prevalent in some Indian states that must be mapped and shared."]
May 23, 2015, Business World (India)
- Petani Lewa tanam padi dengan pola SRI panen dua kali lipat
May 22, 2015, Pos Kupang (Nusa Tenggara Timur, Indonesia)
- Tanam padi kaedah Sri Lovely
May 22, 2015, Utusan Online (Kaedah, Malaysia)
- Goa's agriculture department gears for Kharif paddy season [Ag. Director expects larger harvest due to SRI expansion.]
May 15, 2015, Times of India (Goa, India)
- Indian agriculture at cross roads: M.S. Swaminathan
May 11, 2015, Business Standard (Chennai, India)
- Pemkab Pesisir Selatan targetkan produksi padi 315.053 ton [Regency govt. in Pesisir Selatan suggest SRI to reach paddy production goals.]
May 10, 2015, BeritaSatu (Sumatera Barat, Indonesia)
- Farmers reap gains from new models (SRI one of four suggested "models' of rice production promoted]
May 7, 2015, Saigon Giai Phong (Vietnam)
- Musim tanam, petani Luwu Timur belajar dari pakar ITB [Luwu Timur Regency Govt. hear about SRI from ITB prof and the NGO Yayasan Aliksa Organik.]
May 7, 2015, Tibun-Timur (Sulawesi Selatan, Indonesia)
- Madagascar: 4 million tons of rice expected be harvested in 2015 [Doubling of rice yield with SRI in the district of Ambohidratrimo contributes to big increase in national rice production.]
May 6, 2015, Indian Ocean Times (Madagascar)
- Lotus Foods helps small rice farmers grow their income with more yields achieved with fewer resources [Lotus Foods imports rice grown with SRI methods from Madagascar, Cambodia and Indonesia to the USA]
May 1, 2015, The Guardian
- Confronting kharif 2015 [SRI could be among the answers to an uncertain monsoon.]
May 1, 2015, Livemint (India)
- 2015. Special SEED recognition award. SEED website. May.
- King, Ariana. 2015. The Future of Rice: An Interview with Caryl Levine of Lotus Foods on SRI Initiatives. Food Tank. May 15.
- Reambonanza, Soccorro. 2015. DAR trains farmers in rice intensification. Department of Agrarian Reform website. May 11.
- Francis, Ierene. 2015. How the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) is changing lives in India's heartland. the alternative.in magazine. May 4. [ Lotus Foods joined the Business Call to Action (BCtA) with a commitment to increase the incomes of at least 3,000 additional farm households by 2017.]
- Bessarabova, Tatiana. 2015. Lotus Foods: Cultivating markets for sustainably produced rice. CSR News website. May 1.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during May 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- Rajendran, K. and V. Ganesa Raja. 2015. Effect of system rice intensification on microbial population, nutrient status, growth and yield of rice. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences 11(1): 24-29. doi:10.15740/HAS/IJAS/11.1/24-29 [accessed May 31, 2015]
- Kumari, C. Radha, P. Lakshmi Reddy, and M. John Sudheer. 2015. Evaluation of system of rice intensification (SRI) in farmers fields of Anantapuram district of Andhra Pradesh. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences 11(1): 73–76. doi:10.15740/HAS/IJAS/11.1/73-76 [accessed May 31, 2015]
- • Chadhar, Asim Raza. 2014. Weed management studies in System of Rice Intensification (SRI). PhD dissertation, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan. [accessed May 31, 2015]
- Wu, Wei, Baoluo Ma, and Norman Uphoff. 2015. A review of the system of rice intensification in China. Plant Soil (March 2015, in press): 1-21. doi: 10.1007/s11104-015-2440-6
- Verzola, Roberto. 2015. SRI advocacy in the Philippines: A case study. Ecology, technology and social change website. May.
- 2015 (May 11). System of Rice Intensification. 2:29 min. Produced by Punnagai TV. Punnagai TV channel, YouTube. [Tamil language overview of SRI methods for TV.]
- 2015 (May 12). SRI SIERRA LEONE - Mendesora United. 13:10 min. Flooded Cellar channel, YouTube.
- 2015 (May 10). SRI SIERRA LEONE - Gerald Aruna. 3:50 min. Flooded Cellar channel, YouTube.
- 2015 (May 5). System Rice intensification Project launched in the Northern Region 15. 2:55 min. Noah Nash channel, YouTube. [National Coordinator for the SRI Project in Ghana, Dr. Wilson Dogbe believe this system will boost the rice production in Ghana through the engagement of farmers at the rural areas.]
- Bhadsavle, Sekhar. 2015. SRT: A Zero Till, Conservation Agriculture Technique for Rice Based Farming. Presented at Cornell University, May 5, 2015. 10 slides. [uploaded May 7, 2015] (While not really SRI, this method has a lot of useful elements that are worth investigating!)