July/August 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for August 2013: 3,826 unique visitors from 105 countries made 11,486 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 3,671.
• SRI-Rice statistics for July 2013: 4,326 unique visitors from 101 countries made 13,085 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 3,255.
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See July and August activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News from other 2013 months
- Madagascar town tries Millenium Model [70% of Millenium Village in Madagascar using SRI.]
August 22, 2013, allAfrica (Madagascar)
- Farmers harvest success from system that needs less water [SRI adopted in over 60 per cent ‘kuruvai’ paddy area in Tiruchi district. State govt. to provide pumps and inputs and plans promotion of SRI in 84 villages.]
August 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- SSI sweetens deal for sugarcane growers [Ag. Dept., who says SSI can double yields from 40 to 80 tons/acre, hopes to cover 1,125 acres with SSI methods together with subsidized drip irrigation in Tamil Nadu's Tiruchi district.]
August 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Farmers harvest success from system that needs less water
August 22, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Out of Africa
August 18, 2013, Business Line (India)
- Produksi beras Parepare capai 88.247 ton
August 17, 2013, Fajar Makassar (Sulawesi Selatan, Indonesia)
- State achieves record rice output of 86 lakh tonnes
August 14, 2013, The Times of India (Odisha, India)
- Metode SRI siap diaplikasikan di 100 desa miskin
August 9, 2013, SuaraMerdeka (Yogyakarta,Indonesia)
- Rice farmers embrace wet planting technique
August 8, 2013, Business Daily (Kenya)
- In tribal Malkangiri, women leaders take on hunger
August 4, 2013, Kashmir Times (Kashmir, India)
- KWT NU berhasil budidaya padi organik
August 1, 2013, Pontianak Post (West Kalimantan, Indonesia)
- UGM ajak warga kreatif tingkatkan hasil panen
July 29, 2013, Okezone.com (Jogjakarta, Indonesia)
- Agro-farming changes lifestyles
July 26, 2013, Times of India (Jharkhand, India)
- District receives more rain this monsoon season when compared to previous year [SRI suggested to limit resource consumption.]
July 16, 2013, The Times of India (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Kuruvai crop on 26,000 hectares in Tiruvarur [7,318 ha of 12,134 paddy was planted with SRI so far this season in the Thiruvarur District of Tamil Nadu. Dept. of Agriculture is promoting SRI here through NSFM.]
July 15, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- KVK hosts demonstration program on SRI
July 12, 2013, Echo of Arunanchal (Arunachal Pradesh, India)
- New rice initiative expands in Haiti
July 10, 2013, Cornell Chronicle (New York, USA)
- Rice cultivation machinery displayed at TNAU
July 6, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Kementan selalu menyalahkan keterbatasan lahan [Minister of Agriculture mentions SRI among other ideas to deal with stagnant rice production]
July 2, 2013, Neraca (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Experts to learn Bihar farmers' innovative paddy growing method [Agriculture scientists from Uttar Pradesh and the Directorate of Rice Development to visit Bihar's Nalanda district to learn about SRI]
July 2, 2013, News Track India (Bihar, India)
- Rain revives hopes of good harvest in Garhwa
July 1, 2013, Times of India (Jharkhand, India)
- Gujarat Regional Office (NABARD). 2013. System of Rice Intensification - NABARD initiative in tribal districts of Gujarat. National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Bank (NABARD) website, Initiatives section. (viewed August 24). NABARD, Gujarat Regional Office has extended grant support of ` 47.472 Lakh to Aga Khan Rural Support Programme - India (AKRSP(I), for propagating and promoting SRI approach in three tribal dominated districts of South Gujarat.]
- Gardener, Justin. 2013. Indian farmers growing record yields with no GMO crops or pesticides. REALfarmacy.com website. August 18.
- 2013. Chefs see seeds of hope in Haiti. Oxfam America blog. August 12.
- Ibrahim, Shuaibu. 2013. World Bank agric project disburses N209m to 3,000 Kano farmers. This Day Live website. August 1.
- Bryan, Shane. 2013. Changing lunch: For farmers, new ‘can’t miss’ technology isn’t always enough. What's for Lunch blog. July 29. [An installment of Public Radio International's (PRI) The World, What's for Lunch? series, this article considers why SRI adoption is sometimes slow to catch on.]
- IID/UTB. 2013. Universidad Técnica de Babahoyo da a conocer resultados de implementación de una parcela demostrativa de arroz bajo el sistema SRI. Instituto de Investigacion y Desarrolo (UTB) website. July 29.
- Eaton, Sam. 2013. Intensive lunch: Hope in a controversial rice growing technique. What's for Lunch blog. July 25. [An installment of Public Radio International's (PRI) The World, What's for Lunch? series, this recording and article are about SRI in Bihar, India, and elsewhere.] [Audio clip and article are also published on the PRI website under the title Controversial rice growing technique provides hope for bigger yields.]
- McDonald, K. 2013. An Interview with Cornell's Dr. Erika Styger about the System of Crop Intensification (SRI-Rice). Big Picture Agriculture website. July 22.
- 2013. Rice, baby, rice. Cornell CALS Notes blog. July 25.
- Latham, Michael. 2013. The next Green Revolution (this time without fossil fuels). Solutions 4(2). June.
- Dhital, Maina. 2013. SRI: Making a world of difference. ekantipur.com website. July 16.
- Verzola, Roberto. 2013. SRI success on first try: how a “weekend farmer” in Laur, Nueva Ecija got a 338-cavan/hectare rice yield. Ecology, technology and social change blog. July 15. [Story of how Joey Tolentino, a physician, got record-breaking yields with SRI on the weekends.]
- Stapleton, Ellen. 2013. New System of Rice Intensification (SRI) video about Nepal. SRI News and Views blog. July 10.
- 2013. SRI-India Bimonthly Update. SDTT SRI website. July. (9p. pdf)
- 2013. A paradigm shift for agriculture: The case for SRI. Can We Feed the World blog. [Also posted on the Echo Update blog] July 5. [Based on a July 4 presentation by Norman Uphoff at IIED which suggested people must change their mindset about agriculture]
- Ngimbu, Henry. 2013. The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Zambia. HCD Connect website. July.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during July/August 2013
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- Doi, Ryoichi, and Masaru Mizoguchi. 2013. Feasibility of system of rice intensification practices in natural and socioeconomic contexts in Thailand. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology (published online first June 17, 2013). doi:10.1080/13504509.2013.801002 [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Dewangan, Devendra Kumar, K. V. Sahare, et al. 2013. Integrated weed -management in System of Rice Intensification (SRI). International Journal of Agricultural & Allied Sciences 1(1): July –Sept. 2013. [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Dewangan, Devendra Kumar, and Singh A.P. 2013. Effect of integrated weed management on weed flora distribution, weed dynamics and performance of rice (Oryza sativa L.) under system of rice intensification (SRI) in Chhattisgarh. Journal of Progressive Agriculture 4(1):96-101.[acquired August 11, 2013]
- Baskar, P., K. Siddeswaran, and N. Thavaprakaash. 2013. Tiller dynamics, light interception percentage and yield of rice cultivars under system of rice intensification (SRI) as influenced by nursery techniques and spacing. Madras Agricultural Journal 100(1-3):131-134. [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Ahmad, Riaz, and Shahbaz Hussain. 2013. Improving the performance of direct seeded System of Rice Intensification by seed priming. International Journal of Agriculture & Biology 15(4):791-794. [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Jain, Niveta, Rachana Dubey, D. S. Dubey, Jagpal Singh, M. Khanna, H. Pathak, and Arti Bhatia. 2013. Mitigation of greenhouse gas emission with system of rice intensification in the Indo-Gangetic Plains. Paddy and Water Environment, Springer Link (August 2013) [acquired August 11, 2013]
- Nay-Htoon, Bhone, Nguyen Tung Phong, Sabine Schlüter, Aldas Janaiah. 2013. A water productive and economically profitable paddy rice production method to adapt water scarcity in the Vu Gia-Thu Bon river basin, Vietnam. Journal of Natural Resources and Development. p.1-8. doi:xx [acquired July 26, 2013]
- Kipkorir, E.C., E.M. Mugalavai, C.K. Songok, P.O.W. Webi, K. K.G. Kiptoo, and F. Daudi. 2012. Adapting System of Rice Intensification in Western Kenya irrigation schemes. In Proceedings of The International Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, and Conflict Resolution for Sustainable Development, July 18-20, Mmust, Kakamega, Kenya. [acquired July 17, 2013]
- For complete research listings, see research section; or go to journals and theses sections.
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (July/August 2013)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- SRI-Pilipinas. 2013. Ang Sistema sa Pagpapalago ng Palay. Ecology, technology and social change website. (137p.) [Pilipino language book for farmers, cooperatives and other groups interested in SRI methods.] [acquired July 5, 2013]
- Cooper, Peter J.M., et al. 2013. "Sustainable Intensification of Rice Production in Vietnam," pp. 71-74 in Large-scale implementation of adaptation and mitigation actions in agriculture, Working Paper no. 50 [Working paper series by the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change,Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)]
- Perricone-Dazzo, Lorraine, Famara Massaly, Youssoupha Boye, and Arfang Sadio. 2013. System of Rice Intensification training series report - July 2013: Peace Corps Senegal, Fatick and Kaffrine Regions - Senegal, West Africa. System of Rice Intensification website. July. (7p, 688KB pdf)
- Akiyoko, Antonin O. 2013. Rapport de formation des riziculteurs sur le Systeme de Riziculture Intensive / Banikoara-N'Dali, Benin. DEDRAS-ONG. System of Rice Intensification website. (33p., 1.15MB pdf) [French language report on promotion of SRI in Banikoara, N'Dali, Borgou Department, Benin, by the Organisation pour le Développement Durable, le Renforcement et l’Auto-promotion des Structures communautaires. (DEDRAS-ONG)] [uploaded July 18, 2013]
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages. For docs uploaded
during the past 12 months, check also 2012 news archives.
- Video: 2013 (July 28). The System of Rice Intensification. 9:31 min. Produced by the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) and the National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP). Kiran Icar channel, YouTube. [English language video explaining the System of Rice Intensification in the South Garo Hills, Meghalaya, India.]
- Video: 2013 (July 28). SRI method - The System of Rice Intensification. 22:39 min. Naveen Kumar channel, YouTube. [Telugu video explaining the System of Rice Intensification.]
- Audio: 2013 (July 26). Eaton, Sam. Controversial rice growing technique provides hope for bigger yields 7:38 min. Produced by PRI Public Radio International. [An installment of PRI's What's for Lunch? series, this recording and article are written about SRI in Bihar, India, and elsewhere.]
- Video: 2013: July. ARD on SRI - Kenya. 9:41 min. Produced by Bancy Mati. Dropbox.com [ A film about SRI in Kenya has won first prize at the 2nd African Agricultural Film Festival in Accra, Ghana]
- Video: 2013 (July 9). System of Rice Intensification. 10:38 min. Produced by TNAU Agritech Portal. TNAU Agritech Portal channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (July 9). Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative. 10:19 min. Produced by TNAU Agritech Portal. TNAU Agritech Portal channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (July 7). Standardization of System of Rice Intensification method for improvement of cultivation in rice (Oryza sativa L.). 2:16 min. ICRD Sri Lanka channel, YouTube, [Video of a PowerPoint by K. Kanaka Durga et al, College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, presented at the AgriAnimal 2013 Conference, Chungnam National University, Korea]
- Video: 2013 (July 2). SRI nursery bed (Hindi Jeevika Bihar Nalanda). 13:15 min. Produced by Digital Green. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- [Uploaded 7/7/13] 2013. Proyecto de Arroz SR - Universidad EARTH. Presentation provided by Carlos G. Murillo. May, EARTH University, Guanacaste, Liberia, Costa Rica. [Progress of EARTH's SRI trials in Liberia as of May 2013]
- See also other recent slide presentations on our SRS Slideshare site. The latest of
the 340+ PowerPoint presentations will appear at the top of the list.