May 2014 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for May 2014: 4,506 unique visitors from 113 countries (99 last month) made viewed 12,318 pages on the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 943. Twitter followers: 795 (46 new this month)
• For additional news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See Latest activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News from past months
- Sir Dorabji Tata Trust signs MoU with NABARD [Program to include SRI and SCI among other sustainable livelihood opportunities.]
May 31, 2014, Odisha Channel (Odisha, India)
- Rice farmers neglected amid exports push [Heang Vanhan, deputy director-general of the Ministry of Agriculture’s general directorate of agriculture, says ..
"We need to increase the productivity…through a system of rice intensification to produce good rice seeds and more varieties." 4th para.]
May 30, 2014, Cambodian Daily (Cambodia)
- Trg on SRI in Aghunato [Training in Aghunato in the Zunheboto district, Nagaland]
May 28, 2014, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- Distribution of seeds, tools and implements [Dept. of Agriculture, Baghty conducted a SRI training May 12-13 with seed/equipment distribution.]
May 24, 2014, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India) `
Farmers, experts in Gujarat root for new rice transplant method [Nearly 100 farmers from Dang, Valsad and Navsari districts in Gujarat want to try SRI after training by Aga Khan Rural Support Programme (AKRSP).]
May 23, Business Standard (Gujarat, India) (also carried in Free Press Journal)
- Indian rice farmer's miracle yield
May 15, 2014, The Himalayan (Nepal:,Re: India)
- Ellen calls for agriculture, food production
May 13, 2014, The New Dawn (reposted in AllAfrica) (Liberia)
- System of Rice Intensification: in India nuovi raccolti di riso da record senza Ogm
May 13, 2014, GreenMe.it (Italy)
- Food security beefed up as production increases [Minister of Agriculture plans to increase rice production under SRI (last line)]
May 11, 2014, Daily News (reposted in AllAfrica) (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
- SRI ramah lingkungan dan ekonomis [SRI to cover 18 districts in Kurai Kartenegara Regency, East Kalimantan]
May 9, 2014, Kaltim Post (East Kalimantan, Indonesia)
- Terus ditingkatkan, upaya kejar target produksi padi Subang tahun 2014
May 7, 2014, Pikiran Rakyat (Indonesia)
- Modified paddy cultivation method seems to hold better promise [SRI modified for use with drum seeder]
May 7, 2014, The Hindu (India)
- The very serious rice problem
May 6, 2014, Philippine Daily Enquirer (Philippines)
- Madurai ryot hits bumper harvest [Madurai farmers gets 24 tons/ha with SRI]
May 2, 2014, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Sekolah untuk para petani di Bali [Ag. Dept. hopes extend SRI to 7,800 ha. during 2014 through Farmer Field Schools (SLPTT). 5,800 ha. were reached last year. Bali currently has a total of 81,625 ha. of paddy.]
May 2, 2014, Merdeka.com (Bali, Indonesia)
- Essiet, Daniel. 2014. How to achieve alternative food security. The Nation (online), Agriculture section. May 30. (Article from the Nigerian press discusses SRI and SCI as agroecological innovations.)
- Kay, Sylvia. 2014. Global food security needs states to ally with family farmers. Truth-Out website. May 28.
- Faridi, Rashid. 2014. Sustainable rice intensification. Jugraphia Slate blog. May 26.
- 2014. What is SRI? Global Network on Sustainability and Education website. May 26
- 2014. Rice-to-riches story for paddy cultivators in Dangs. DNA India website. May 24.[Aga Khan Rural Support Programme AKRSP in Gujarat, India, says increases with SRI there range from 40% to150%.]
- Nuwer, Rachel. 2014. This farmer grew four times as much rice in the same amount of land. Smithsonian.com website. Smart News section. May 14.
- 2014. New rice cultivation method could help poor farmers worldwide. SOS Children's Villages website. May 14.
- DH. 2014. Indischer bauer stellt neuen reisrekord auf. Informationsdienst Gentechnik website. May 13.
- 2014. Indian farmer sets new record in rice production with SRI method. Global Agriculture website, Agriculture at the Crossroads section. May 13. [summarized the controversial large rice yields with SRI in TN India. See Guardian article directly below.]
- Vidal, John. 2014. Miracle grow: Indian rice farmer uses controversial method for record crop. GlobalDevelopment blog (The Guardian). May 12. [More on controversial large rice yields with SRI in India.]
- Villamil, Lucas. 2014. Africa mia. NextFuel website. May 10. [Story about Argentinian entrepeneurs trying out SRI in Sierra Leone]
- Moudgil, Manu 2014. Punjab wades in shallow waters. India waterportal. May 3.
- 2014. Call for posters and papers. 4th International Rice Conference website. May. [Deadline for IRC posters extended to July 1, 2014. (IRC is Oct. 28-31, 2014.)]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during May 2014
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- Shukla, U. N., V. K. Srivastava, Smita Singh, A. Sen and V. Kumar. 2014. Growth, yield and economic potential of rice (Oryza sativa) as influenced by different age of seedlings, cultivars and weed management under system of rice intensification. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 84(5): [May 31, 2014]
- • Pandian, B J., T. Sampathkumar and R. Chandrasekaran. 2014. System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Packages of technologies sustaining the production and increased the rice yield in Tamil Nadu, India. Irrigation & Drainage Systems Engineering 3: 115. doi:10.4172/2168-9768.1000115 [accessed May 31, 2014]
- • Nyang'au, W. O., B. M. Mati, K. Kalamwa, R. K. Wanjogu, and L. K. Kiplagat. 2014. Estimating rice yield under changing weather conditions in Kenya using CERES rice model. International Journal of Agronomy 2014 (ID849496): 12p. doi: 10.1155/2014/849496 [accessed May 3, 2014]
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (May 2014)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- Dill, Johannes, Georg Deichert, and Le Thi Nguyet Thu (eds.). 2014. Promoting the System of Rice Intensification: Lessons learned from Trà Vinh Province, Viet Nam. Infoagro website. July. (25p) [A publication of Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in collaboration with the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)]. [accessed May 14, 2014]
- no new documents (articles linked to are in the sections above)
- Video: 2013 (March 25). System of Rice Intensification Practices - 农广天地]水稻强化栽培技术. 24:38 min. CCTV channel 7 (Agriculture Channel), China [This Chinese SRI adaptation, known as the Triangular SRI system, suggests transplanting single seedlings from plastic trays at 2- to 4-leaf stage in a triangular pattern (3 hills to a unit, forming a small triangle with 6~10 cm between each other; 25~50cm between each unit). AWD and a mix of compost and inorganic fertilizer are used]. [accessed May 2014]
- Video: 2014 (April 18). SRI. 24;06 min. Tri Wahyudi Channel, YouTube. (Bahasa Indonesia) [accessed May 3, 2014]
- Video: 2014 (January 7). Kronologi Ringkas SRI Kg. Sungai Pinang: Dari Tumpat ke SRI Lovely Kedah. 4:36 min. Febri Doni Channel, YouTube. [in In Bahasa Malaysia - Two workshops - in Kelantan and Kedah provinces in Malaysia during Dec. 2013] [accessed May 2, 2014.]
- 2014. System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Introduction to KGVK and Usha Martin University. 25 slides. Presentation by Yezdi P. Karai at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, May 22. [uploaded May 26, 2014]
- 2014. 22 PowerPoint presentation from the SDTT-SRI Partners Meet (see list at bottom of page). Presentations about SRI from the National Level Meet of SDTT-SRI Partners, March 21-22, 2014, at Raipur, Chhattisgarh. [Linked to on May 2014]
NOTE: Our website does not link to these directly ppts. They are accessible directly only from the SDTT-SRI website page about the meeting.
- Haiti Album updated.