November 2014 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-Rice Statistics for November 2014: 3,851 unique visitors (3,678 last month) from 95 countries (92 last month) viewed 10,386 pages (10,157 last month) on the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 1,917 (1,084 last month) with 1,422 all-time likes. Twitter followers: 955 (20 new this month). Total YouTube views: 40,089 (1,111 new this month). We have 388 presentations (all time) uploaded and 140 subscribers on our Slideshare site. There are 664 papers (16 new this month) in our Refworks research database. (These also appear in the Mendeley SRI Research Network site.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our program see: SRI-Rice Center news
News from other months
- Johor hasilkan Beras Wangi Sri Ledang
Usaha kurangkan import bahan itu sehingga 5 peratus
November 28, 2014, Utusan Online (Johor, Malaysia)
- Bupati Lahat beserta Muspida tanam padi organik System of Rice Intensification [Regency Head and other officials, attend SRI with farmer groups in Manggul Village.]
November 27, 2014, Lahat Online (South Sumatera, Indonesia)
Demonstration on using mechanical transplanters [Mechanical transplanters with SRI can increase yield by 25% and income by Rs.15, 000/acre in Perambalur district, which has 5,000 acres of SRI out 9,200 acres total paddy production.]
November 9, 2014, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Lebak genjot produksi padi [Plans to boost paddy production in Lebak, Banten, include SRI adoption based on farmer 6.2 ton/ha yields in Muncang district.]
November 24, 2014, skalanews (Banten, Indonesia)
- Microsoft's 10-minute movie stars inspire change in Indian villages [Story on Digital Green's use of video in India and Africa]
November 23, 2014, Bloomberg News [Re: India]
- SRI production method increases production (SRI method reportedly increased production by 200% according to NABARD)
November 16, 2014, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Agency collaborates with Niger State Govt on improved rice production
November 15, 2014, Leadership (Nigeria)
- Eleven new varieties of paddy being researched in Marga [Trials use SRI methods.]
November 11, 2014, The Times of India (Goa, India)
- A farm pond in Ayyapatti sustains paddy crop and hopes [SRI part of farm pond venture in Madurai district]
November 9, 2014, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Jim Carrey on Renée Zellweger’s new look [In the middle of
this article, the funny man acknowledges his support for SRI.]
November 7, 2014, Philippine Daily Enquirer (Philippines)
- IPB buka klinik pertanian di Malang
(Bogor Agricultural Institute opens an agricultural clinic in Malang; SRI among suggestions for farmers there.)
November 3, 2014, Tempo.co (East Java, Indonesia)
- 2014. Tanzanian farmers learn modern management techniques to avoid water conflicts. AquaNOW.info (Ooska News website). November 12.
- Arayaphong, Suprisra, and Ekaterina Bessonova. 2014. Weekend farmer puts climate-smart farming practices to the test in Thailand. June 19. [accessed Nov. 10, 2014] [A Thai woman works to combine SRI with AWD practices.]
- 2014. Modified cono weeder - Decreasing rice farmer's drudgery, increasing yields. Orzya.com. November 10. [An interview with 3 scientists from the Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Chittoor, in South India.]
- 2014. How innovated drum seeders tweaked cono weeders are leading better rice yields. Orzya.com. November 7.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during November 2014
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Dahal, Khem Raj. 2014. System of Rice Intensification (SRI): A potential approach to enhance rice productivity and food security. Journal of Forest and Livelihood 12(1): 75-81 [accessed Nov. 24, 2014]
- • Barah, B. C. 2010. System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Economic and ecological benefits of improved production practice for food security and resource conservation. Paper presented at the Innovation and Sustainable Development conference, June 28-30, in Montpellier, France. [accessed Nov. 24, 2014]
- • Ghosh, R. K., S. Sentharagai, and D. Shamurailatpam. 2014. SRI: A methodology for substantially raising rice productivity by using farmer’s improved thinking and practice with farmer’s available resources. Journal of Crop and Weed 10(2): 4-9. [accessed Nov. 24, 2014]
- • Tzudir, L., and R. K. Ghosh. 2014. Impact of integrated nutrient management on performance of rice under System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Journal of Crop and Weed 10(2): 331-333. [accessed Nov 24., 2014]
- • Chakrabortty, Sudip, P. K. Biswas, T. S. Roy, et al. 2014. Growth and yield of boro rice (BRRI Dhan 50) as affected by planting geometry under System of Rice Intensification. Journal of Bioscience and Agricultural Research 2(1): 36-43. [accessed Nov. 24, 2014]
- • Suciati, Luh Putu, Bambang Juanda, Akhmad Fauzi, et al. 2014. Developing for water resources incentives to support System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Jatiluhur irrigation area. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science 19(11): 31-41. [accessed Nov. 24, 2014]
- • Mukherjee, Kuntal, Siddharth Gahoi and Biswanath Sinha. 2014. Promotion of SRI - Millet: Reopening a closed chapter. International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research 3(3): 812-816.
- • Nakano, Yuko, Yuki Tanaka, and Keijiro Otsuka. 2014. To what extent do improved practices increase productivity of small-scale rice cultivation in a rain-fed area? Evidence from Tanzania. GRIPS Discussion Paper 14-21. November. [Study by researchers at the University of Tsukuba and National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, Japan]
- Berkhout, Ezra, Dominic Glover, and Arie Kuyvenhoven. 2014. On-farm impact of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Evidence and knowledge gaps. Agricultural Systems. doi:10.1016/j.agsy.2014.10.001 [accessed Nov. 6, 2014]
- • Panigrahi, Trinash, L. M. Garnayak, M. Ghosh, D. K. Bastia, and D. C. Ghosh. 2014. Productivity and profitability of basmati rice varieties under SRI. International Journal of Bio-Resource and Stress Management 5(3): 333-339. [accessed Nov. 6, 2014]
Links from our Website to Online Publications (November 2014)
(see also Latest Research directly above)
- PRADAN. 2014. NewsReach Magazine. 14(5): 1-49. September/October edition. [PRADAN's bimonthly on livelihoods and development in India.]
Articles on SRI in this issue:
- Norman Uphoff. India in 2050: ' More Crop Per Drop' in India. pp. 1-5.
- Barah, B. C., Shipra Singh and Amit Kumar. Study: Adoption and dis-adoption of SRI: A study of the dynamics. pp. 18-30.
- Mukherjee, Kuntal. Partnering with civil societies: Enhancing food security of farmers in Chhattisgarh. pp. 37-45.
- Le Nguyet, Minh et al. Forum: Open letter to the 4th International Rice Congress. pp 46-48.
- 2014. SRI News from West Africa, July-September. (A new quarterly newsletter form the Project on Improving and Scaling Up the System of Rice Intensification in West Africa, which is sponsored by the World Bank-funded West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program.
- Video: 2014 (November 20). SWI yield calculation_ Nalanda Bihar. 19:52 min. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2014 (November 16). SWI Sowing Jeevika Nalanda Bihar. 13:11 min. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2014 (November 16). Use of Cono weeder in SRI Jeevika Nalanda Bihar . 13:11 min. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2014 (November 9). No Weed, More Rice. 4:18 min. Oxfam in Cambodia channel, YouTube. Khmer Language with English subtitles. [The Rice Dragon, Niek Srer, is a weeding tool innovated by women farmers to reduce weeds in the rice paddy. The video is about a marketing campaign by Oxfam to distribute it in Cambodia.]
- Video: 2014 (November 6). Importance of SRI (System of Rice Intensification) in Paddy Cultivation. 3:40 min. ICAR Zonal Project Directorate, Zone-III channel, YouTube. [video produced by trainee of ICAR-ZPD-III, Barapani, Meghalaya, during 3-day training on communicating science through video presentations.
- Video: 2014 (November 3). System of Rice Intensification (SRI) short film (Vietnamese version). 11:03 min. SNV channel, YouTube. [Vietnamese video on drumseeding with SRI, which is a component of the project "Sowing the Seeds of Change - Community-based Climate Change Mitigation through Sustainable Rice Production" funded by DFAT Australia and implemented by SNV Vietnam.]
- Video: 2014 (November 2). Principles of Making Good Seeds & Healthy Seedlings (SRI). 4:28 min. FDIR Cambodia channel, YouTube. [In Khmer with English subtiltes. Produced in Chhnang Province, Cambodia, by Food and Nutrition Security Project (FNSP) of Foundation for International Development/Relief (FIDR), Japan.]
Presentations at the Workshop on Crop Production Equipment for the System of Rice Intensifcation (SRI), Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand, November 1-3, 2014.
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) experience with weeder design
- V. K. Ravichandran, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India
- Experience in building inter-row weeders for small-scale farmers
- Salehuddin Yahya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Developing the three-row weeder
- Chaminda Fernando, Oxfam, Sri Lanka
- Design, development and performance evaluation of a manually-operated multi-row weeder for SRI rice in Sri Lanka
- G.A.S. Ginigaddara, Rajarata University, Sri Lanka
- Gender issues in weeder design
- Sabarmatee, Sambhav, India and Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- Designing weeders for upland and lowland conditions
- Biplav Kumar, KGVKAgro, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
- Water reliability, seedling age and transplanting methods for mechanical weed management
- Rajendra Uprety, Ministry of Agriculture, Nepal
- Performance of the USHA weeder in rice and other crops in Western Nepal
- Ram B. Khadka, National Agricultural Research Council, Nepal
- Expanding SRI equipment accessibility worldwide
- Steve Leinau, Earth Links, Santa Cruz, California, USA
- Direct-seeder for pre-germinated seeds in Mali / West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program (WAAPP)
- Gaoussou Traoré, West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program (WAAPP), Mali
- Thai Weekend Farmer Network
- Supachai Pitiwut, Thai Weekend Farmer Network, Bangkok, Thailand
Development of SRI transplanter: TN-IAMWARM experience in Tamil Nadu, India
- B.J. Pandian, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India
- A prototype transplanter: The Malaysian Rowcaster
- Anizan Isahak, Professor, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia
Cambodian experience with promoting the Rice Dragon weeder
- Sopheavy Ty, Oxfam, Cambodia
- Accessing East Asian equipment suppliers
- Zouchen Feng, Intern, SRI-Rice, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
Démonstration de la repiqueuse è riz
Minamba Bagayoko, Institute of Rural Economy (IER – Mali), Regional Center of Agronomic Research of Niono, Mali
- Le service de fabrication et de maintenance d’équipements agricoles par les forgerons au Mali
- Ousmane Djire, Directeur Technique. SOCAFON, Niono, Mali
- The KGVK product portfolio
- Ashish Das, KGVKAgro, Ranchi, India
- Innovations in implements: Processes followed by WASSAN
- Ravindra A., WASSAN, India, and Wageningin University, The Netherlands