August 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR AUGUST 2015:
SRI-Rice website: 3,924 unique visitors (4,048 last month) from 100 countries (90 last month) logged 5,044 sessions in which 9,311 pages (10,222 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: 14 new this month (All-time likes 1,679). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 213 members (12 new this month)
YouTube (primary): Total views: 1,283 new this month (54,028 for past 5 years) for our 65 uploads. 1,539 views during August of our 27 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel).1,207 total followers.
Twitter: 26 new followers this month (1,207 total followers).
Slideshare: 7,801 views new this month (495,364 total for past 5 years);1 new added for a total of 436 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 183 followers (4 new).
Research Databases: There are 759 items in our new Zotero research database. (600+ of these appear in the Mendeley and 648 are in the Refworks SRI Research databases.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our SRI-Rice program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during August: [2015, groups, home page, journals, India journals, India news, July updates, Cambodia, India news, Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, Nepal archives, Philippines archives, Senegal, Senegal archives, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Vietnam, Zambia, weeders, videos]
News from past months
- Nestlé India implements over 260 water and sanitation projects benefitting 180,000 village students [Nestlé India project to help reduce the agricultural water withdrawal from the Kabini catchment area in Karnataka over the next 3 years to train farmers in SRI and SSI (sugarcane).]
August 26, 2015, The Hans India (Karnataka, India)
- Crop yield contest for farmers
August 20, 2015, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Banyuwangi succeeds with new system of rice cultivation [Govt. in Banyuwangi district, East Java, to expand to 2,500 ha. of SRI through 59 farmer groups during 2015.]
August 17, 2015, Antara News, (East Java, Indonesia)
- Pemkab Banyuwangi kembangkan padi SRI 2.500 hektare [Description same as article directly above.]
August 16, 2015, Berita Satu (Jawa Timur, Indonesia)
- House panel instructs facilitating paddy plantation
August 10, 2015, The Himalayan Times (Nepal)
- Nepal may lose ‘Rs 25b’ from paddy [Ministry of Ag. Development to expedite its SRI and direct seeding in districts with experiencing poor rainfall.]
August 10, 2015, Kathmandu Post (Nepal) [temporarily unavailable]
- Pascua, Joyce. 2015. Expert discusses viable rice production method in CSC lecture. August 30. [Review of Roberto Verzola's SRI lecture at Cordillera Studies Center, University of the Philippines]
- 2015. More rice, less hunger, fewer greenhouse emissions. Share America website. August 20. [Article about SRI and Norman Uphoff.]
- Kulsum, Eniyati. 2015. Mengenal sistem tanam padi organik SRI. Rumah Petani blog. August 17.
- Kulsum, Eniyati. 2015. Kelebihan dan kekurangan SRI. Rumah Petani blog. August 16.
- Bruil, Janneke. 2015. Unlocking the potential of family farmers. Rural Marketing website. August 14. [SRI as an agroecology example for family farms.]
- 2015. Life from ridge to reef. Joby Arandela blog. August 3. [Joby Arandela's journey to move to the Philippines and grow SRI rice for export.]
- 2015. Building resilience of farmers in flood prone Odisha. Oxfam website, featured story section. August 3. [SRI one of the methods used for increasing resilience.]
- KODIM 0709 Kebumen. 2015. Panen padi perdana pengembangan System Of Rice Intensification (SRI). KODIM 0709/Kebumen website. August 3. (Jawa Tengah, Indonesia) [Harvest festival for SRI fields in Kebumen Regency of Central Java, attended by military.]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during August2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Sowmya, Ch. and M. Venkata Ramana. 2015. Performance of hybrids/high yielding varieties and nutrient management in System of Rice Intensification: A review. Agricultural Reviews 33(1): 1-15. [accessed August 2015]
- • Palanisami, K., D. Suresh Kumar, R. P. S. Malik, et al. 2015. Managing water management research: analysis of four decades of research and outreach programmes in India. Economic and Political Weekly 1(26-27): 33-43. [accessed August 2015]
- • Chen, Shih-Kai, Cheng-Shin Jang, and Cheng-Bin Tsai. 2015. Assessing the changes of groundwater recharge / irrigation water use between SRI and traditional irrigation schemes in Central Taiwan. Presentation at the EGU General Assembly 2015, April 12-17, Vienna, Austria. (abstract only). [accessed August 2015]
- • Jana, Kalyan, G. K. Mallick, S. Ghosh, and G. Sardar. 2015. Study on yield potentiality and spatial requirement of rice varieties ( Oryza sativa L.) in system of rice intensification (SRI) under red and laterite zone of West Bengal, India. Journal of Applied and Natural Science 7(1): 353-357. [accessed August 2015]
- • Loukes, Keira. 2015. The System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Complicating the global narrative. Master's thesis. Queen's University. (138p., 15.18MB pdf) [An exploratory, qualitative study based on fieldwork in Nepal’s Tera.] [accessed August 14, 2015]
- • Sutton, Claire. 2015. Impact of management on soil fertility and rice yields in smallholder farms in Tanzania. Master's thesis, The Ohio State University. (107 p. pdf) [Considers both SRI and Conservation Agriculture in the context of sustainable land management in Tanzania.] [accessed August 14, 2015]
- Thakur, Amod K., Rajeeb K. Mohanty, Rajbir Singh, and Dhiraj U. Patil. 2015. Enhancing water and cropping productivity through Integrated System of Rice Intensification (ISRI) with aquaculture and horticulture under rainfed conditions. Agricultural Water Management 161: 65-76. doi:10.1016/j.agwat.2015.07.008
- • Veeraputhiran, R., R. Balasubramanian, and B.J. Pandian. 2014. Effect of mechanical weeding in System of Rice Intensification and its adoption. Indian Journal of Weed Science 46(4): 383-385. [accessed August 4, 2015]
- Dass, Anchal, Ramanjit Kaur, et al. 2015. System of rice (Oryza sativa) intensification for higher productivity and resource use efficiency – A review. Indian Journal of Agronomy 60(1): 1-19. [accessed August 4, 2015]
- SRI Daloa facebook group. (French language group created in April 2015 for the Daloa area in Cote d'Ivoire) [accessed Aug 31, 2015]
- 2015. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) A farmer’s sure way to rice farming and high crop yields. It's Wild (COMACO) website. 2p. [A step-by-step guide for SRI techniques adapted for floodplains and Dambo basin in the Community Marketers for Conservation (COMACO) project area in Zambia.]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2015. July additions to the SRI-Rice website. New page on the SRI-Rice website. August 5.
- See also four new SRI-Rice videos uploaded for the SRI interviews playlist
- Video: 2015 (August 31). Interview with Dr. Wan Mohtar Wan Yusoff about SRI in Malaysia. 4:08 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [SRI-Rice interview at the Southeast Asia Regional Conference on SRI held in Alor Setar, Malaysia on May 28, 2015]
- Video: 2015 (August 28). Interview with Sanjeewanie Ginigaddara about SRI in Sri Lanka . 2:46 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [SRI-Rice interview at the Southeast Asia Regional Conference on SRI held in Alor Setar, Malaysia on May 28, 2015]
- Video: 2015 (August 31). Interview with Hoang Van Phu about SRI in Vietnam. 1:17 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [SRI-Rice interview at the Southeast Asia Regional Conference on SRI held in Alor Setar, Malaysia on May 28, 2015]
- Video: 2015 (August 28). Interview with Budi Setiawan about SRI in Indonesia (in Bahasa Indonesia).11:04 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [SRI-Rice interview at the Southeast Asia Regional Conference on SRI held in Alor Setar, Malaysia on May 28, 2015]
- Audio: 2015 (August 12). Khmer hot news today | Officials advised farmers to learn growing rice intensification system (Khmer language). 8:04 min. News4u channel, YouTube. [Khmer language news program in Cambodia.]
- Video: 2015 (August). System of Rice Intensification in Cambodia. 6:10 minutes. Switchcomms channel, YouTube. [2011 video re-uploaded by on Switchcomms channel. Farmers from Oxfam partners in Cambodia tell how SRI has improved their lives.]
- Video: 2015 (August 1). SRI Cultivation Method. 2:18 minutes. Srinivas ScienceFair channel, YouTube. [SRI at the student Science Fair in India!]
- Khadka, Ram. B. 2015. Adopt SRI, Build a Country Self-sufficient in Rice. [Nepali language SRI poster for Regional Agricultural Research Station (RARS), Khajura, and funded by the Agriculture and Food Security Project (AFSP) to create awareness SRI in Nepal's farming community.]