September 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR SEPTEMBER 2015:
SRI-Rice website: 3,852 unique visitors (3,924 last month) from 100 countries logged 4,872 sessions in which 9,387 pages (9,311 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: 29 new this month (All-time likes 1,708). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 251 members (38 new this month)
YouTube (primary): Total views: 1,226 new this month (55,111 for past 5 years) for our 65 uploads. (1,353) views during September of our 27 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 189 total followers.
Twitter: 24 new followers this month (1,231 total followers).
Slideshare: 7,801aug views new this month (495,364aug total for past 5 years); 4 new added for a total of 440 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 186 followers (3 new).
Research Databases: There are 776 items in our new Zotero research database. (600+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it will be retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our SRI-Rice program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during September: 2015, about us, SRI-Rice news, August updates, Bangladesh, Cuba, Guinea, Haiti, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Malaysia, Philippines, Senegal, Senegal archives, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Vietnam, Vietnam archives, journals, projects page, methods, listservs, events, research index, seminars, videos
News from past months
- Partage d’expériences sur la culture du riz biologique au Vietnam
September 22, 2015, Nhân Dân en ligen (Thai Nguyen, Vietnam)
- Low-CO2 rice farming foresees future expansion [Report of a regional event featuring organic SRI in Thai Nguyen province.]
September 21, 2015, Vietnam+ (Thai Nguyen, Vietnam)
- How researchers are trying to grow an unusual urban crop: Rice [Trials at the University of the District of Columbia’s Muirkirk Research Farm in Beltsville, Md., adapt SRI principles]
September 10, 2015, Washington Post (Washington D.C., USA)
- How water conservation can save money in drought-ridden India [SRI among water conservation methods for drought areas.]
September 7, 2015, Business Standard (India)
- Terroirs villageois à matam : 18 unités pastorales se renforcent en infrastructures
September 5, 2015, Le Soleil (Senegal)
- Demi panggilan luhur, rela kami berlumpur
September 3, 2015, Tabloid Sinartani (Sumatera Barat, Indonesia)
SRI method a boon to paddy farmers
September 1, 2015, Hans India (Telangana, India)
- Program ketahanan pangan digeber
September 1, 2015, Samarinda Pos (East Kalimantan, Indonesia)
- 2015. SRI "System of Rice Intensification." BPTP Jawa Timur website. September 21. [Harvest ceremony for 220 ha. planted with SRI methods in the Regency of Gresik.]
- 2015. Kodim 0711/Pml melaksanakan panen raya di desa Tegalmalati, kec. Petarukan. KODIM 0711/Pemelang website. September 18.
- Bryant, Joy. 2015. It's the most vulnerable who are hit first and worst. Huffington Post: Impact - What's Working blog. September 18.
- 2015. More crop per drop. Lotus Foods website. September 16. [Lotus Foods talks about SRI, which is used to grow rice they import from Cambodia, Madagascar and Indonesia.
- 2015. EXPO 2015: L’ENGIM presenta un metodo innovativo per incrementare la raccolta del riso. ENGIM Internazionale website. September 16. (In Italian) [Exhibition Sept. 14-12 about SRI in Sierra Leone at the EXPO 15 in Milan, Italy]
- Levine, Caryl. 2015. Market incentives for eco-friendly SRI rice production in Cambodia Landscapes for People, Food and Nature website. September 10.
- Islam, Asadul, Chris Barret, and Marcel Fafchamps. 2015. Technology adoption and diffusion: The System of rice intensification and food security in Bangladesh. International Growth Center website. September 7. [Update on a project completed in July 2015.]
- Singh, Gurpreet 2015. Saguna Rice Technique (SRT) as convergence of CA and SRI in Rice based cropping system: An experience from Saguna Baug. Perspectives blog. September 8.
- Hufstader, Chris. 2015. Learning new rice technique inspires growers in Cambodia. Oxfam America website. September 2.
- Bollier, David. 2015. Legal innovations in beating the bounds: Part II of law for the commons. David Bollier blog. September 1. [Example of #2: subsistence commons in the Global South]
- Peace Corps Food Security Team. 2015. Improving rice farming in Madagascar. Peace Corps Passport website. September 1. [Peace Corps Volunteer William Dreyer works with Madagascar farming community to promote SRI.]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during September 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Abu Bakar, Rosenani, Zahidah Abdul Razak, et al. 2015. Influence of oil palm empty fruit bunch biochar on floodwater pH and yield components of rice cultivated on acid sulphate soil under rice intensification practices. Plant Production Science 18(4): 491-500. doi:10.1626/pps.18.491 [accessed Sept. 28, 2015]
- Nath, S. K., L. Soren, S. K. Sahoo, D. K. Mohanty, and K. C. Barik. 2015. Performance of different rice (Oryza Sativa) transplanting methods in farmer’s field under plateau eco-system of Odisha. Environment and Ecology 33(3a): 1214–1217. [accessed September 2015]
- • Kunnathadi, Musthafa, C. T. Abraham, C. George Thomas, and T. Girija. 2015. Comparative evaluation of SRI with conventional system in the irrigated rice tracts of Kerala. Journal of Tropical Agriculture 53(1): 8–16. link: [accessed September 2015]
- • Shahane, Amit A., Yudh Vir Singh, Dinesh Kumar, et al. 2015. Effect of planting methods and cyanobacterial inoculants on yield, water productivity and economics of rice cultivation. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics (JARTS) 116(2): 107-121. [accessed Sept. 18, 2015]
- Kajiru, Geoffrey, et al. 2012. Adopting improved rice production practices introduced by EAAPP changes farmers’ lives: The case of Nyatwali Rice Irrigation Scheme, Bunda District, Mara Region. EAAPP-RRCoE Success Story Series 1(1):1-4. e-rails website. [A 2012 document describing results of Igembensabo Irrigation Farmer Group in Tanzania, who tried SRI - introduced by the Eastern Africa Agricultural Productivity Program (EAAPP), enabling them to increase rice yields.] [accessed September 24, 2015]
- SRI-WAAPP. 2015. Summary Report: Regional training workshop on ARC/GIS and mobile data collection using 'Survey 123' for the SRI-WAAPP project - Dakar, 3-6 August, 2015. SRI West Africa website. [accessed September 2015]
- Castella, Jean-Christophe, and Jean-François Kibler. 2015. Towards an agroecological transition in Southeast Asia: Cultivating diversity and developing synergies. GRET, Vientiane, Lao PDR. (online on the Horizon/IRD website). June. (98p. pdf) [A document for the French NGO GRET. There is a section on SRI.] [accessed September 2015]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2015. July additions to the SRI-Rice website. New page on the SRI-Rice website. August 5.
- Video: 2015. Unleashing Women's Economic Opportunities. Clinton Global Initiative, livestream.com. [Choose the video on women's economic opportunities; Supisra Arayaphong talks about using SRI as a Thai farmer at the following times: 42:56-46:16 and 1:02:50-1:06.00]
- Video: 2015. Rice Farmers Urged to adopt Nursing and Transplanting methods for Rice Cultivation-INTAPIMP 15. Noah Nash channel, YouTube. [Viasat 1 News video about an SRI rice project in northern Ghana.]
- Video: 2015 (September 26). 993 SRI System of Rice Intensification. 9:59 min. Dr Janardhan Rao Cheeli channel. [Various rice scientists are interviewed in the video by Krishi Darpan, ICAR-NARM, Hyderabad, Telangana, India]
- Videos: 2015. AgroVision playlist. AgroVision R channel, YouTube. [A compilation of weeders, direct seeders and other manual equipment]
- Sarker, Md. Abu Bakar Siddique. 2015. Identification of the critical factors of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) for maximizing Boro rice yield in Bangladesh. Presentation at the 17th Australian Agronomy Conference, Tasmania, Australia, September 24, 2015. 26 slides. [Md. Abu Bakar Siddique Sarker is Principle Scientific Officer, Agronomy Division, Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI)]
- Phu, Hoang Van. 2015. 1508 - Vietnam SRI Network. Presentation at the Low-Carbon Rice Farming Workshop, Thai Nguyen city, Vietnam, September 22. 15 slides.
- Traoré, Gaoussou, and Erika Styger. 2015. 1507 - Improving and Scaling Up SRI in West Africa - A Success Story. Presented at the SRI-Rice Seminar Series, Cornell University, September 15, 2015. 32 slides. [uploaded September 9, 2015]
- Pérez, Rene. 2015. 1506 - The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and its Adaptation to Sugarcane in Cuba. Presented at the SRI-Rice Seminar Series, Cornell University, September 9, 2015. 31 slides. [uploaded September 9, 2015]
- Bouet, Alphonse. 2015. 1505 - Systeme de Riziculture Intensive (SRI) presentation de la Côte d’Ivoire. Presented at the SRI-WAAPP Regional Workshop on the System of Rice Intensification, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, February 16, 2015. [uploaded September. 4, 2015]