December 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR DECEMBER 2015:
SRI-Rice website: 3,152 unique visitors (4,418 last month) from 86 countries logged 3,981 sessions in which 7,439 pages (11,332 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: All-time likes 1,813 (33 new this month). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 260 members (4 new this month)
YouTube (primary): Total views: 1,536 new this month (68,783 for past 5 years) for our 65 uploads. 2,334 views during December of our 27 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 204 total followers.
Twitter: 35 new followers this month (1,301 total followers).
Slideshare: 10,338 views new this month (535,969 total for past 5 years); 446 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 193 followers.
Research Databases: There are 799 items in our new Zotero research database (3 new). (700+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it was retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our SRI-Rice program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during December: 2015, main page, about us, events, SRI-Rice news, donation page, publications, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Colombia, Cuba, Ghana, Indonesia, Mali, Mali archives, Nepal, Philippines, Senegal, Tanzania, Vietnam, theses, journals, India general articles, India journal, India videos, events, Spanish, videos
News from past months
- 70% of Ghana's rice imported annually
December 21, 2015, Peace FM Online (Ghana)
- Pulo Godang didorong Sentra lumbung padi (Harvest festival of 10 farmers groups who maintained a 10 ha demplot that got SRI of 9.3 tons/ha.]
December 19, 2015, Harian Analisa (Tapanuli Selatan, Indonesia)
- Collector shares field wisdom with farmers
December 18, 2015, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Students of agri college conduct camp [Adhiprasakthi Agriculture College students study SSI and SRI]
December 15, 2015, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Rice farmers need power tillers-Gov’t told
December 11, 2015, Ghana News Agency (Ghana)
- Tra Vinh: Rice farmers earn extra income with intensive farming
December 11, 2015, Vietnam+ (Tra Vinh, Vietnam)
- Vedanta wins 5th Annual Greentech CSR Award [One of Vendata's Aajeevika projects (Krushak Bandhu)
developed farmers’ clubs and implemented an SRI project on 100 acres with 74 farmers over past 2 years]
December 6, 2015, OrissaDiary (Odisha, India)
- Ditanam TNI, padi detani diasuransikan 6 puta per hektar [The army helps out planting 6 ha of SRI rice in Tabanan, Bali]
December 7, 2015, Suara Dewata (Bali, Indonesia)
- Rice farmers must produce quality rice – GRIB
December 3, 2015, GhanaWeb (Ghana)
- Uprety, Rajendra. 2015. Better soil management for higher rice yield and sustainable agriculture. Agrilinks blog, Feed the Future website. December 28.
- Nierenberg, Danielle. 2015. Ecological farming practices needed to achieve new climate targets. About Health website. December 14.
- Subramian, Meera. Now, act! Meera Subramian website. December 10. [SRI-Rice suggested as resource for taking action!]
- Nierenberg, Danielle. 2015. The costs and benefits of agriculture. Food Tank website. December 7.
- Uphoff, Norman. 2015. Transcending boundaries to end hunger: The invisible answer under our feet. Olam Group website. December 4.
- 2015. World Bank: 'Times are hard and uncertain' - Senegal adopts climate smart agriculture to mitigate effects of climate change. PreventionWeb website. December 3.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during December 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- Sangeetha, C., A. Velayutham, N. Thavaprakaash, et al. 2015. Crop establishment and weed management effects on rice productivity and weed dynamics. Indian Journal of Weed Science 47(1): 6–10. [accessed December 27, 2015]
- Sharma, Vikas, A.S. Bali, and Dileep Kachroo. 2015. Effect of different establishment methods and sowing schedules on growth and yield of hybrid rice (Oryza sativa) and their after effects on succeeding wheat (Triticum aestivum) in rice-wheat cropping system. Economic Affairs 60(3): 563-568. doi:10.5958/0976-4666.2015.00079.0. [accessed December 27, 2015]
- • Kumar, Sunil, K. K. Sinha, and D. Singh. 2015. Crop establishment, fertility and weed management practices in scented in hybrid rice. Indian Journal of Weed Science 47(2): 113–116. [accessed December 27, 2015]
- Ganapathi, D., and A. Surendra Kumar. 2015. Design, development and field evaluation of manually operated rice transplanter for System of Rice Intensification. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology 8(3): 735. doi:10.5958/2230-732X.2015.00081.9. [accessed December 27, 2015]
- Kumar, J. Narendra, K. Bala Venkatesh, S. Mithun, et al. 2015. Design and fabrication of rice transplanter adopting System of Rice Intensification (SRI) technique. Applied Mechanics and Materials 813-814: 983–986. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.813-814.983. [accessed December 27, 2015]
- • Ros, Chhay, Peter F. White, and Richard W. Bell. 2015. Nursery fertilizer application increases rice growth and yield in rainfed lowlands with or without post-transplanting crop stress. American Journal of Plant Sciences 6(18): 2878-2892. doi:10.4236/ajps.2015.618285.[accessed December 27, 2015]
- • Sen, Debashish. 2015. How smallholder farmers in Uttarakhand reworked the System of Rice Intensification: Innovations from sociotechnical interactions in fields and villages. Wageningen University and Research Center (WUR), School of Social Sciences. (188p. pdf) [accessed December 15, 2015]
- • Rana, Sadhana. 2015. Transforming livelihood through innovative agricultural reform: An insight into the adoption of system of rice intensification (SRI) in Nepal. Master thesis, Norwegian University of Life Sciences. [accessed December 7, 2015]
- Thakur, Amod K , Norman T. Uphoff, Willem A. Stop. 2015. Scientific underpinnings of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI): What is known so far? Advances in Agronomy (in press) doi:10.1016/bs.agron.2015.09.004 [accessed December 7, 2015]
- TEEB. 2015. TEEB for agriculture and food: An Interim report. The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity office (TEEB), United Nations Environment Programme, Geneva, Switzerland. (100p. pdf) [see box on p.76 for SRI comparison][accessed December 15, 2015]
- 2015. System of Rice Intensification training manual for extension workers and farmers. Ministry of Agriculture Food Security and Cooperatives, Tanzania. SRI West Africa website. June 2015. (38p. pdf) [accessed December 9, 2015]
- Wulandari, Metta, and Willy. 2015. Membina Desa Mandiri pangan. Dunia Tzu Chi 15(3): 21-35. [An article in Tzu Chi Yayasan Buddha Tzu Chi's Indonesian language magazine. The part on SRI is on pp. 27-34 and is about the village of Bilayuk, Hulu, Landak Regency in West Kalimantan Province of Indonesia.]
- FAO. 2015. "Rice farming - India: System of Rice Intensification vs. conventional." In Natural Capital Impacts in Agriculture: Supporting Better Business Decision-Making, pp. 59-63. FAO website. June 2015. [accessed December 7, 2015]
- 2015. Grow more with less: A project to adapt, valid and promotion SRI in the Americas as a response to climate change. New page on the SRI-Rice website. [Uploaded December 15]
- IICA and Instituto Banco Mudial. 2015. SICA - Logrando mas con menos: Kit herramientos (multimedia). SRI-Rice website (8p., 8.69MB pdf) [Spanish language brochure accompanying multimedia kit produced by the World Bank Institute and updated by the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA)] [uploaded December 15, 2015]
- IICA. 2015. Grow more with less: Adaptation, validation and promotion of SRI in the Americas as a response to climate change. SRI-Rice website. (23KB pdf) [A project by a consortium of partners including the Dominican Institute of Agricultural and Forestry Research (IDIAF), the Dominican Council of Agricultural and Forestry Research (CONIAF), the National Federation of Rice Producers (FEDEARROZ-FNA) and the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA), will be executing a project to validate the System of Rice Intensification - Grow more with less: A project to adapt, valid and promotion SRI in the Americas as a response to climate change (SRI) in the Dominican Republic and Colombia with financial support from the Regional Fund for Agricultural Technology (FONTAGRO).]
- IICA. 2015. Cultivar más con menos: adaptación, validación y promoción del SICA en las Américas como respuesta al cambio climático. SRI-Rice website (2p. 271 KB pdf) [Un consorcio de socios estratégicos, que incluye el Instituto Dominicano de Investigaciones Agropecuarias y Forestales (IDIAF), el Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Agropecuarias y Forestales (CONIAF), la Federación Nacional de Arroceros (FEDEARROZ) y el Instituto Interamericano de Cooperación para la Agricultura (IICA), está ejecutando un proyecto para Parcelas bajo el SICA en República Dominicana. Fot. de Juan Arthur, IICA. Este programa es financiado por FONTAGRO y por el Fondo para el Medio Ambiente Mundial validar el SICA en ALC, con el apoyo financiero del Fondo Regional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (FONTAGRO).] [uploaded December 2015]
- Arandela, Joby. 2015. SRI presented at National Organic Agriculture Congress in Bacolod City. SRI-Rice website. (2p. 61KB pdf) [uploaded December 2015]
- IICA. 2015. Evaporates técnicos por SRI - Sistema Intensivo del Cultivo de Arroz. Aportes técnicos, October. SRI-Rice website. (2p., 1.58MB pdf) [Technical bulletin produced in association with SRI Global, SRI-Rice, IICA, FEDEARROZ, IDIAF, and CONIAF] [uploaded December 2015]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2015. December 2015 additions to the SRI-Rice website. New page on the SRI-Rice website.
- Video: 2015 (December 3). Entrevista Al Especialista de IICA Diddier Moreira. 7:22 min. Mercedes Fraile channel, YouTube. [Spanish language video interview with Diddier Moreira during an SRI/SICA workshop in Venezuela.]
- Video: 2015 (December 1). System of Rice Intensification in West Africa. 4:58 min. [See also short version, 2:41 min.] Peace Corps OPATS channel, Vimeo. [Instructional video with overview of Peace Corps SRI activities associated with the USAID-funded West Africa Food Security Partnership.]
- 2015. Agroecology for farmers in irrigated areas - SRI. FAO channel, Slideshare.net. 22 slides. Presentation by Sophal Chhong at the Regional Symposium on Agroecology in Asia and the Pacific, in Bangkok, November 24-26, 2015. [Presentation on Farmer and Nature Net's (FNN) promotion of organic agriculture and ecological agriculture practices.] [accessed December 16, 2015]