January 2016 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR JANUARY 2016:
SRI-Rice website: 3,368 unique visitors (3,152 last month) from 92 countries logged 4,189 sessions in which 8,182 pages (7,439 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: All-time likes 1,842 (29 new this month). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 267 members (7 new this month)
YouTube (primary): Total views: 2,512 new this month (77,415 for past 6 years) for our 66 uploads. 3,001 views during January of our 27 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 207 subscribers.
Twitter: 45 new followers this month (1,346 total followers).
Slideshare: 8,691 views new this month (543,764 total for past 6 years); 447 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 194 followers.
Research Databases: There are 811 items in our new Zotero research database (12 new). (700+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it was retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our SRI-Rice program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during January 2016: Cambodia, India, Liberia, Niger, Philippines, Philippines archives, yearly news index, 2015, 2016, features, new feature (Philippines), videos, journal articles, India Journal articles, India videos, India news, India research, contacts, about us.
News from past months
- Dinas Pertanian Bondowoso datangkan tim setrifikasi independen dalam upaya tingkatkan hasil pertanian organik [Dept of Ag in Bondowoso Regency seeks to accelerate organic ag with SRI]
January 28, 2016, BeritaLima (East Java, Indonesia)
- Pesisir Selatan targetkan produksi padi 327,5 ribu ton [SRI encouraged to meet Pesisir Selatan regency's 2016 rice production target.]
January 27, 2016, Kinciakincia.com (West Sumatera, Indonesia)
- Highest paddy yield bags Madurai woman Rs 5 lack prize [Madurai farmer has highest paddy yield for 2014-15 using SRI.]
January 27, 2016, NYOOOZ (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Bihar govt to encourage zero tillage farming in Gaya district: Minister [Bihar gov. to increase not-till and SRI area due to rain deficit.]
January 27, 2015, Times of India (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Kelompok tani ini panen padi organik 9,4 ton per hektare [SRI harvest by farmer group in Pati, Central Java, reaches 9.4 t/ha while conventional is 4.5 t/ha.]
January 14, 2016, Republika News (Jawa Tengah, Indonesia) [Similar article in Koran Pati]
- Green crusader (Story of an organic SRI farmer in Madurai)
January 13, 2016, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu,India)
- Aceh Utara kembangkan varieties padi 3S
January 12, 2016, Wol (Aceh, Indonesia)
- Africa: Agroecology in Africa - Mitigation the old new way [Mentions SRI and recent Oakland Institute's case study about SRI in Mali.]
January 11, 2016, AllAfrica
- JSPL’s Social development initiatives in Angul, Odisha [JSPL's CSR includes collaborating with NABARD on 400 acres of SRI in Angul]
January 9, 2016, Odisha News Insight (Odisha, India)
- ASD-16 variety paddy shows good growth [16-variety SRI trials shows good success]
January 7, 2016, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Climate-friendly rice growing method yields more [SRI farmer wins “Highest Yielder for Naturally Grown Organic Rice Farming” award in 2015 using SRI.]
January 6, 2016, Philippine Daily Inquirer (La Union, Philippines)
- 2016. DRP News Bulletin 25 Jan. 2016 (Save & Grow: FAO supports SRI). SANDRP website. January 25. [South Asia Network on Dams, Rivers and People are glad that SRI is included in the new edition of FAO's Save and Grow book.]
- Gapoktan Sekar Sari. 2016. Metode tanam padi System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Gapoktan Sekar Sari website. December 31, 2015. [Indonesian language materials giving an overview of SRI methods][accessed January 18, 2016]
- 2016. Lotus Foods Launches DO THE RICE THING with More Crop Per Drop™. PR Newswire website. January 15. [Promotes SRI as "water-smart and women strong."]
- Indiryati, Iin. 2016. Kelompok S.R.I. Desa Parigi menjalin kemitraan dengan BPPT KEMENTAN RI. Harfa website. January 11.
- Rajaraman, Indira. 2016. Climate change and other wishes. Live Mint website. January 12. [One of her four new years wishes is to use SRI to help with water shortage and climate change.]
- Uphoff, Norman. 2016. Professor Norman Uphoff: Transcending boundaries to end hunger - The invisible answer under our feet. Business Fights Poverty website. January 11. [Original published in Olam blog on Dec. 4, 2016.]
- Mousseau, Frederic. 2016. Agroecology in Africa: Mitigation the old new way. Global Issues website. January 11. [SRI among the suggested agroecological methods.]
- Verzola, Roberto. 2016. Attain a yield of 170 cavans per hectare! AgriculturePhilippines website. January 7. [SRI farmer wins “Highest Yielder for Naturally Grown Organic Rice Farming” award in 2015 using SRI.]
- Sophors, Yim Sok. 2016. Proposed climate change adaptation policies on rice production in Cambodia. Yim Sok Sophors website. January 6.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during January 2016
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Bashar, Zubairu U., Aimrun Wayayok, et al. 2016. SRI-Tray: Breakthrough in nursery management for the System of Rice Intensification. Jurnal Teknologi (Sciences & Engineering) 78:1-2: 65-71
- Patel, Vipul P., H. D. Mehta, and Patel Amrutbhai. 2015. Effect of nutrient management in System of Rice Intensification (Sri) cultivation under South Gujarat condition. Trends in Biosciences 8(1): 248-250. [accessed January 23, 2016]
- Gathorne-Hardy, Alfred, D. Narasimha Reddy, M. Venkatanarayana, and Barbara Harriss-White. 2016. System of Rice Intensification provides environmental and economic gains but at the expense of social sustainability - A multidisciplinary analysis in India. Agricultural Systems 143: 159-168. doi:10.1016/j.agsy.2015.12.012 [accessed January 17, 2016]
- Diaz Anadon, Laura, Gabriel Chan, et al. 2016. Making technological innovation work for sustainable development. HKS Faculty Research Working Paper Series RWP15-079, Harvard University. 38p.
- Tiki, Sabarmatee, LIM Lian Chung, and Oeurm Savann. 2015. SRI cultivates well-being for women, In Women forging change with agroecology, Farming Matters 31(4): 26-29. December 2015. [accessed January 27, 2015]
- FAO. 2016. Higher yields from healthy plants in healthy soil. Save and Grow Farming Systems -Fact sheet 2. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations website. January 18. [Adapted from the book Save and Grow in practice: Maize, rice wheat. A guide to sustainable cereal production (FAO, 2016).] [accessed January 18, 2016]
- Reeves, Timothy G., Graeme Thomas, Gordon Ramsay, et al. 2016. Save and Grow in practice: Maize, rice wheat. A guide to sustainable cereal prediction. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. January 2016. (120p. pdf) [The second story, "Higher yields for healthy plants in healthy soil" in chapter 3 (pp 44-47), is about SRI in Asia.] [accessed January 18, 2016]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2016. December SRI-Rice Global Updates. ScoopIt. January 15.
- Ayedegue, Lionel, and Antonin Akiyoko. 2015. Rapport de l'atelier regional de formation des riziculteurs, Juenes - champions et techniciens sur le Systeme de riziculture intensif (SRI). SRI-Rice website. September. (31p., 1.81MB pdf) [French language report of a regional training (for SRI champions and technicians from Benin, Togo, Burkina Faso and Niger) by the NGO DéDesc (Non-Governmental Organization for Sustainable Economic and Socio-Cultural Development.)] [uploaded January 31, 2016.]
- Verzola, Roberto. SRI Stories: Meet Federico Rullamas, an SRI farmer in La Union, Philippines. System of Rice Intensification website, features section. January 15. [page uploaded January 28, 2016]
- Fisher, Lucy. 2015. December 2015 additions to the SRI-Rice website. New page on the SRI-Rice website.
- Video: 2016 (January 26, 2016). System of Rice Intensification (SRI) PV Quezon. 6:07 min. IIRR: International Institute of Rural Reconstruction channel, YouTube. [Reissue of 2015 Tagalog language video of an SRI project in Arbismen, Quezon Province, Philippines.]
- Video: 2015 (December 29).Tanam Padi Menggunakan Metode SRI (System Rice of Intensification). 47:26 min. Gapoktan Sekar Sari channel, YouTube. [Indonesian language video from Gapoktan Sekar Sari about SRI with comments from farmers and government officials.] [accessed January 18, 2016]
- Video: 2016 (January 13). SRI Cultivation. 0:34 min. Krishibhawan Tripura channel, YouTube. [The SRI story in 34 seconds from Tripura!]
- Video: 2015. (January 11). SRI Niger entrevue avec un cultivateur pilote du SRI au zone irrigué à Sébéri (français / djerma). 13:17 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [French language TV clip with farmer SRI interviews. M. Amadou Bonkano, Champion SRI et M. Sita Rami, technicien qui conduit les tests sur le périmètre, avec un cultivateur local qui décrit son première teste SRI dans la zone d'irrigation Sébéri (en français et djerma).]
- Video: 2016 (January 11). Dhan Kar Bali. 18.01 min. Amit Bahadur channel, YouTube. [Video about SRI methodology in Jharkhand, India. Includes interviews with field staff, NABARD officials, and farmers.]
- Video: 2016 (January 7). Pon Vilaiyum Bhoomi 07/01/2016. 29.48 min. dd agriculture channel, YouTube. [Farmer success story from TV show (?) in Tamil Nadu, India.]
- 2015. SRI monitoring an overview & preliminary results. SRI-Rice channel, Slideshare.net. 20 slides. Presentation by Barbora Chmelova on December 2, 2015. [accessed January 31, 2016]