May 2016 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR MAY 2016:
SRI-Rice website: 4,005 unique visitors (3,732 last month) from 97 countries logged 5,116 sessions (4,591 last month) in which 10,488 pages (8,972 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: All-time likes 1,996 (26 new this month). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 271 members 3) SRI West Africa: 404 members
YouTube (primary): Views for May: 2,055 new this month for our 66 uploads. 1380 views during April of our 31 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 239 subscribers (9 new). [NOTE!: The 8 India playlists from the SRI India video channel are now accessible as "saved playlists" on the main SRI-Rice video channel - see bottom panel).
Twitter: 1,440 followers (20 new this month)
Slideshare: 9,727 (8,526 last month) views new this month 452 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 197 followers.
Research Databases: There are 896 items in our new Zotero research database (18 new). (700+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it was retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See: SRI-Rice Center news for updates on our program's staff, students and activities
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during May 2016: 2016, April news, Benin, Burkina Faso, DPR Congo, Liberia, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Malaysia, Mali, Myanmar, Niger, Nigeria, Philippines, Rwanda, Senegal, senegal archives, Thailand, Togo, Vietnam, videos, india videos, journal articles, India news, staff news, Spanish docs, features index, Ivory Coast feature, video feature, Earth Day article, SSI
News from past months
- The Groundbreakers [IGSSS project in Kashmir, India, includes SRI training and cono-weeders.]
May 31, 2016, Kashmir Life (Kashmir, India)
- Dried out [Article by Narendra Kaushik about drought in India suggests SRI and SSI for drought-proofing]
May 30, 2016, Bangkok Post (Thailand)
Sri successfully introduced in Manipur
May 29, 2016, The Sentinel (Manipur, India)
- 5,000 number of farmers using water-saving Rice Intensification System
May 26, 2016, The Star (Kenya)
- Nitish flags off 38 'Krishi Raths' [Bihar CM Nitish Kumar asked Ag. Dept. to ensure Kharif production used SRI methods.]
May 20, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Hasil panen petani di Libukan Lutim meningkat [Sustainable Agriculture Program initiated by PT Vale along East Luwu District Government, in cooperation with the Foundation Aliksa Organic farming consultant SRI.]
May 16, TribunLutim.com (Sulawesi, Indonesia)
- SRI diharapkan dapat tingkatkan hasil pertanian [University students and extension agents promote SRI in Singojuruh district of Banyuwangi Regency.]
May 18, 2016, SuaraDesa (East Java, Indonesia)
- An agro-ecological way through the sugarcane problem – before we quickly resort to GM crops
May 12, 2016, The Wire (India)
- Kendala saat pembuatan pupuk organik
May 11, 2016, Republika online (West Java, Indonesia)
- Boosting rice production [Farmers in Domasi get support for SRI from AGRA project].
May 10, 2016, The Nation (Malawi)
- From plate to plough: Drop by careful drop [notes that flooding of rice fields needs to be replaced by SRI, which can save about 30 per cent water.]
May 9, 2016, The Indian Express (India)
- Agri Dept strives for self-sufficiency [Agriculture Dept. in Manipur reports that SRI for paddy and zero-till for mustard have been successfully introduced in the state.]
May 9, 2016, E-PAO (Manipur, India)
- Agroecology in Africa: Mitigation the old new way [Notes SRI in Mali among other examples]
May 2, 2016, The Herald (Zimbabwe)
- Sodjah, Doris, and Naa Palm. 2016. MoFA, EDAIF, CSIR collaborate to promote Ghana's agriculture. Ghana.gov.gh website. May 20. [The Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA), through the Export Trade Agricultural and Industrial Fund (EDAIF) and under the Quality Rice Seed Program, has supported 12,342 rice farmers and established 90 System of Rice Intensification (SRI) demonstrations nationwide.]
- Donny, Made. 2016. Gathering success family farm Java and Bali Degree of Innovation-based processed rice 2016. Red Rice Bali News.com. May 18. [PT HM Sampoerna Foundation and Somya Pratiwi support one-day group SRI activities in Tua village, Tabanan, Bali.] [Story also available on the BIDIK Nusantara website.]
- 2016. Rice farmers reap big with water-saving technology. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology website. May 19. [Farmer stories from Kenya's West Kano Irrigation Scheme, Block C, share their SRI stories.]
- Bodhi, Bhikku. 2016. Projects for Fiscal Year 2016–17—Part 6 (of 6). Buddhist Global Relief website. May 14. [New and renewed projects by Buddhist Global Relief for 2016-2107 include SRI project in Cambodia, Haiti and Vietnam.]
- Mara, Hillary, and Lucy Fisher. 2016. Videos about the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Global News and Views - System of Rice Intensification (SRI) blog. May 9.
- CCDO. 2016. Success stories from the funded project of supporting community based adaptation initiatives to cope with the adverse effect of climate change in three divisions of Pawaga, Kalenga and Isimani in Iringa Rural District of Iringa Region of Tanzania / East Africa. Children Care Development Organization. Envaya.org website. May 9. [UNDP-funded project with large SRI component carried out by the Children Care Development Organization in the Iringa region of Tanzania.]
- 2016. Caring for water: Incentivise farmers to save & liberalise import of water – guzzling crops. Financial Express.
- Mara, Hillary. 2016. New publications note SRI's increasing role in the future of food production. Global News and Views - System of Rice Intensification (SRI). May 5.
- Mishra, Abha. 2016. Seeding the way with Systems of Rice Intensification in Cambodia, FAO, Family Farming Platform section. May.
- WWF. 2016. Thirsty crops cause water shortages and pollution. WWF Global website. [Article on 3 thirsty crops; SRI suggested to reduce water in rice.]
- AWID. 2016. System of Rice Intenisfication. Action of Women in Development (AWD) website. [This SRI pilot phase started in 2009 in Ukhrul District, Mapnipur, with 20 farmers and as of 2015, SRI was promoted in 12 villages to 580 farmers, inreasing food securityand yields.].
- 2016. A field of hope. ADRA Philippines website. May? [Farmers learn SRI from ADRA in Leyte as part of recovery efforts from Typhoon Haiyan] [accessed May 8, 2016]
- 2016? Vision, dreams and practices. Everthing Organic Nursery (EVON) website. [This page says EVON has planted rice with SRI methods for three seasons in Nepal with consistent yields 2 1/2 times the Nepali traditional planting method; they are now planting wheat and oats using the same approach.] [accessed May 8, 2016]
- 2016. Community outreach program. Resource Centre For Primary Health Care (RECPHEC) website. May 6 [Nepal's RECPHEC's community health program includes SRI, SWI, and a farmer exposure visit to Uttarakhand, India, among its 16 extenison activities. Also, one of the IPM farmers groups have adopted the SWI method for maize cultivation.] [accessed May 8, 2016]
- 2016. Ferdinal: 10 plus 1 Jurus Jitu Sukses KKN. Genta Andalas. May 5. [Students at Andalas University learn extension skills with SRI and cacao/coffee]
- 2016. Farming gives Cambodian family new choices. World Renew website. May 2. [Through World Renew’s local partner, Living Water Church, Sam Ol became connected with a community agriculture program in Soksan village, which helped him learn SRI and other sustainable ag techniques.]
- 2016. SRI栽培イネの田植え (Rice planting of SRI cultivated rice). 自然農田んぼ塾 (Natural Farming Rice Field School) blog. May 2. [A project in Osaka to try out SRI.]
- Malhotra, Sarika. 2016. The real cost of water. Business Today, Cover Story. May 22. [SRI and SSI can reduce water requirements by 30-40%]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during May 2016
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- Gbenou, Pascal. 2013. Evaluation participative du Système de Riziculture Intensive dans la basse vallée de l’Ouémé au Bénin. PhD dissertation, Université d’Abomey-Calavi (Benin). (213p., 4.01MB pdf) [uploaded May 2016]
- • Rodenburg, Jonne, Kazuki Sait, et al. 2015. Labor-saving weed technologies for lowland rice farmers in sub-Saharan Africa. Weed Technology 29(4): 751-757. doi:10.1614/WT-D-15-00016.1 [accessed May 6, 2016]
- • Anas, Iswandi, Joeli Barison, Amir Kassam,et al. 2011. The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) as a beneficial human intervention into root and soil Interaction. Jurnal Tanah Dan Lingkungan 13(2): 72–88. [accessed May 6, 2016]
- Nandhakumar, M. R., K. Velayudham, and N. Thavaprakaash. 2016. Influence of crop geometry, age and number of seedlings on physiological characters in relation to yield of low land rice. Research on Crops 17(1): 1-7. doi:10.5958/2348-7542.2016.00001.2. [accessed May 6, 2016]
- • Razali, Rabibah, Salmah Yaakop. 2015. Insect species composition in an under SRI management in Tanjung Karang, Selangor, Malaysia. Malaysian Applied Biology 44(4): 73–80. [accessed May 6, 2016]
- • Wichelns, Dennis. 2016. Managing water and soils to achieve adaptation and reduce methane emissions and arsenic contamination in Asian rice production. Water 8(4): 141. doi:10.3390/w8040141. [accessed May 6, 2016]
- • Bhadoria, Pratapbhanu Singh. 2016. Technological interventions for food security. International Journal of Advances in Agricultural & Environmental Engineering 3(1): 121–25. [accessed May 6, 2016]
- Ray, Plabita, and T. Barik. 2016. Effect of fertility levels, genotypes, planting pattern and spacing from plant to plant in the same hill on yield and economics of rice under SRI during dry season. Environment and Ecology 34(1): 65–69. [accessed May 6, 2016]
- • Uphoff, Norman, and Frank B. Dazzo. 2016. Making rice production more environmentally-friendly. Environments 3(2), 12. doi: 10.3390/environments3020012 [accessed May 2016]
- Mara, Hillary. 2016. The newest SRI champions: Farmers and extension agents in Côte d’Ivoire. SRI-Rice website, Features section. May 12. [SRI-Rice feature article based on report by Alphonse Bouet, National Facilitator of SRI-WAAPP Côte d’Ivoire]
- Bouet, Alphonse. 2016. Rapport de synthese du test de pre-vulgarisation du Systeme de Riziculture Intensive en Côte d’Ivoire en 2015. SRI-Rice website. March. (85p., 3.07 MB pdf) [Report on SRI progress by the SRI-WAAPP/PPAAO project during 2015 in preparation for further extension activities in Côte d’Ivoire.] [uploaded May 2, 2016]
- Uphoff, Norman. 2016. Sistema de Intensificatión del Cultivo del Arroz (SRI). SRI-Rice website, Spanish documents section. (23p., 2.14MB pdf) [A Spanish translation by the Instituto Interamericano de Cooperación para la Agricultura (IICA) of the short version of Uphoff's book, The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) - Responses to Frequently Asked Questions.] [Uploaded May 10, 2016]
- Video: 2016 (May 20). Feed the Future: Agrikilti Moden an Ayiti. 44:13 min. Feed The Future Haiti Chanje Lavi Plantè channel, YouTube. [Creole language video about USAID's Feed the Future project in Haiti. Some disucssion of SRI projects.]
- Video: 2016 (May 8). SRI paddy Success story Banswara. 6:43 min. Bapujk channel, YouTube. [Hindi? language video of a farmer from Banswara Rajasthan, India, talking about his success in paddy cultivation through SRI.]
- Video: 2016 (April 26). LONGRA beyond Jhuming. 8:09 min. Chingmak ECS channel, YouTube. [Video about the work to reduce Jhum (shirting cultivation) in Nagalands spearheaded by the NGO Eluetheros Christian Society (ECS). [accessed May 2016]
- Video: 2016 (April 25). Encapsulated Nursery Paddy Seedling System. 5:31 min. Uddhab Bharali channel, YouTube. [accessed May, 2016]
- Video: 2015 (April 20). Mazao ONGD in Kalemie: The Social Rice Supply Chain. 7:05 min. Mazao ONGD channel, YouTube. [Begin watching at 3:27 to view SRI training portion of this video about the NGO Mazao's work in the D.R. Congo.] [accessed May 2, 2016]
- Van Phu, Hoang, Le Nguyet Minh, and Dao The Anh. 2016. Policies and public services on agro-ecological rice production: The case of System of Rice Intensification in Viet Nam. 12 slides. Presentation at the national multi-stakeholder workshop Towards an Agro-ecological Transition, May 5-6, 2016, Hanoi, Vietnam. ALi-SEA website.