June 2016 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR JUNE 2016:
SRI-Rice website: 3,901 unique visitors (4,005 last month) from 88 countries (97 last month) logged 4,974 sessions (5,116 last month) in which 9,363 pages (10,488 last month) were viewed.
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: All-time likes 2,010 (14 new this month). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 283 members (12 new) 3) SRI West Africa: 922 members (518 new)
YouTube (primary): Views for June: 2,425 new this month for our 67 uploads. 1295 views during June of our 31 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 248 subscribers (9 new). [NOTE!: The 8 India playlists from the SRI India video channel are now accessible as "saved playlists" on the main SRI-Rice video channel - see bottom panel).
Twitter: 1,460 followers (20 new this month)
Slideshare: 9,668 (9,727 last month) views new this month 454 slideshows/posters total uploaded, 200 followers (3 new).
Research Databases: There are 934 items in our new Zotero research database (38 new). (700+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it was retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See: SRI-Rice Center news for updates on our program's staff, students and activities
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during June 2016: 2016, events, May news, June news, Benin, Cambodia, Cote d'ivoire, Ghana, Haiti, Haiti archives, Indonesia, Iran, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Senegal archives, Thailand, Vietnam, country index, extension page, India videos, journal articles, India journal articles, India news, other SCI, project page, seminars, staff news, videos, video feature.
News from past months
- Rice science for farmers: Successful technologies [mentions SRI as a way to increase yield.]
June 30, 2016, The Himalayan (Nepal)
- Learn nuances of technology, agri varsity VC tells farmers
June 28, 2016, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Award for Nagercoil AIR station [All India Radio’s Local Station in Nagercoil had bagged ‘Outstanding commercial performance’ award from Prasar Bharati. He said that due to the persistent campaign by the AIR for System Rice Intensification (SRI), the cultivation of paddy had increased by 30 % in Kanniyakumari district, Tamil Nadu.]
June 28, 2016, The Hindu (Tamail Nadu, India)
- Delta farmers in distress over loan waiver
June 12, 2016, Times of India (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Delta farmers upbeat [In Thanjavur, District Collector toured paddy nurseries have been raised using the mat nursery for machine transplanting with SRI]
June 5, 2016, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- In water-stressed Andhra, farmers sign pact to share ground water [Borewell sharing agreements to stress SRI use for paddy.]
June 4, 2016, Hindustan Times (Andhra Pradesh, India)
- TN govt announces Rs 54-crore package to save kuruvai crop [Rs 4,000 will be provided as 100% subsidy to those involved in mechanised cultivation using SRI]
June 2, 2016, NYOOOZ (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Dam not to be opened on June 12, but CM floods delta with sops [Ryots in the six delta districts encouraged to use SRI to save water and increase paddy yield.
June 2, 2016, dtNext (Tamil Nadu, India)
- 2016. Society of Conservation Agriculture - System of Rice Intensification (CA-SRI). CA-SRI website. [This is a website in Taiwan.] [acccessed June 30, 2016]
- Hendro, Wahyu. 2016. Tips budidaya padi organik dengan metode SRI. Dasar Pertanian blog. June 28. [Indonesian language tips for planting organic SRI.]
- Bollier, David. 2016. Beyond development: The Commons as a new/old paradigm of human flourishing. David Bollier blog. June 25. [Also carried in CounterCurrents.org]
- 2016. Community resilience in East Asia. Oxfam website. [SRI listed as one of programmatic interests (sustainable livelihoods) in Cambodia.]
- 2016. Carolina Gold: Our adventurous experimentation with growing rice in southeastern North Carolina. Healing Earth Farm blog. April 2. [A farm in N. Carolina successfully experiments with Carolina Gold rice using SRI methods.] [accessed June 23, 2016]
- Lotus Foods. 2016. Lotus Foods introduces organic red rice from Madagascar, the red island. PR Newswire. June 23. [Lotus Foods to replace their Bhutan red rice with Madagascar red rice grown with SRI methods.]
- SRI-LMB. 2016. Farmer's Congress and National Review and Planning Workshop - Thailand / Sustaining and Enhancing the Momentum for Innovation and Learning around the The System of Rice Intensification in the Lower Mekong River Basin (SRI-LMB). SRI-LMB website. [Concept note for a SRI-LMB workshop to be held June, 23-25, 2016, in Surin province, Thailand.] [accessed June 23, 2016]
- Hufstader, Chris. 2016. Fathers: Some are not so terrible. First Person Blog (Oxfam America). June 16.
- Hufstader, Chris. 2016. A daughter in Cambodia doubles rice harvest, and surprises her parents. Oxfam America website. June 14. [Also published on the Cambodia Oxfam site.]
- Leinau, Steve. 2016. Small SRI rice farmers can reap big benefits with affordable tools. Earth Links, Inc. website. June 14.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during June 2016
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Mishra, Abha. 2013. Intermittent irrigation enhances morphological and physiological efficiency of rice plants. Agriculture (Pol'nohospodárstvo) 58(4): 121–130. doi:10.2478/v10207-012-0013-8
- • Bassey, Jimmy Ijogu. 2016. Comparative analysis of System of Rice Intensification and traditional system of rice intensification in Abi L.G.A., Cross River State, Nigeria. European Journal of Agriculture and Forestry Research 4(2): 9-23. [accessed June 28, 2016]
- • Dzomeku, I. K., E. N. K. Sowley, and I. S. Yussif. 2016. Evaluation of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) for enhanced rice (Oryza sativa L.) production in the Guinea Savannah Zone of Ghana. Current Agriculture Research Journal 4(1). [accessed June 28, 2016]
- • Arif, Chusnul, Budi Indra Setiawan, Slamet Widodo, et al. 2015. Pengembangan model jaringan saraf tiruan untuk menduga emisi gas rumah kaca dari lahan sawah dengan berbagai rejim air [Development of artificial neural network to predict greenhouse gas emissions from rice fields with different water regimes]. Jurnal Irigasi 10(1): 1-10. [accessed June 28, 2016]
- • Maftukhah, Rizki, Erni R., Benito H. Purwanto, et al. 2015. Pengelolaan genangan air dangkal untuk meningkatkan hasil padi dengan kerangka kerja System of Rice Intensification (SRI) [Shallow water depth management to enhance rice performances under System of Rice Intensification (SRI)]. Jurnal Irigasi 10(1): 41-48. [accessed June 28, 2016]
- • Rani, S., and P. Sukumaril. 2016. Productivity and economics of medicinal rice Njavara (Oryza sativa L.) as influenced by different establishment techniques in lowland condition of Kerala, India. African Journal of Agricultural Research 11(22): 1984-1989. doi:10.5897/AJAR2013.7566 [accessed June 28, 2016]
- Parasar, Ishani, J. P. Hazarika, and Nivedita Deka. 2016. Resource use efficiency in rice production under SRI and conventional method in Assam, India. Agricultural Science Digest 36(2): 152-154. doi:10.18805/asd.v36i2.10638 [accessed June 28, 2016]
- • Prasad C., Shambu. Indigenous knowledge as emergent Science: Insights from SRI in India. 2016. Jindal Journal of Public Policy 3(1): 51-71. [accessed June 28, 2016]
- • Shukla, Shivkant, Joanna Bloese, and Tapan Ray. 2016. Effect of yield, quality attributes and cost of rice (Oryza sativa L.) variety under System of rice intensification (SRI) organic and conventional methods of rice cultivation. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 6(6): 313-316.
- ECHOAsia. 2016. ECHO Asia organized a Northern Thailand SRI Experience Workshop, June 2016. SRI-Rice website. (3p., 326KB pdf.)
- Uprety, Rajendra. 2016. Integration of SRI with conventional methods and its performance in Morang district, Nepal, 2015. SRI-Rice website. June 26. [uploaded June 28, 2016]
- 2016. Feeding climate change. - Oxfam briefing paper. Oxfam website. June. [See pp. 16-17 for information on why Oxfam promotes SRI.]
- Video: 2016 (June 21). NEPAL Rice, far-western Nepal. 14:55 min. Images Nepal channel, YouTube. [Nepali language video about the SRI work in Far-Western Nepal.]
- Video: 2016 (June 16). Thirsty rice. 8:11 minutes. Oxfam in Cambodia channel, YouTube. [Water shortage in Traing district, Takeo province, Cambodia, has led Oxfam to introduce SRI there.]
- Video: 2016 (June 14). Liberia - Machines for SRI. 1:18 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [Information on CHAP's project in Liberia to make available to the public power tillers and rice weeding tools.]
- Emadi, M. H. 2016. The System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Iran. 23 slides. Presentation at the SRI-Rice seminar series. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 15. SRI-Rice channel, Slideshare.net.
- Bimba, Robert. 2016. Community of Hope Agricultural Project - SRI in Liberia. 15 slides. Presentation at the SRI-Rice seminar series. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 14. SRI-Rice channel, Slideshare.net.