October 2016 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-RICE STATISTICS FOR October 2016:
SRI-Rice website: 3,351 unique visitors (3,378 last month) from 90 countries (86 last month) logged 4,603 sessions (4,112 last month) in which 8,512 pages (9,432 last month) were viewed. [Top ten user countries in order of sessions: India, USA, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Canada, Nigeria, UK, Thailand and Germany]
Facebook pages: 1) SRI-Rice: All-time likes 2,123 (17 new this month). 2) SRI Equipment Innovators Exchange: 305 members (4 new) 3) SRI West Africa: 2,154 members (17 new)
YouTube (primary): 2,209 new views this month for our 67 uploads. 193 views for our 41 playlists (not including our India YouTube channel). 292 subscribers (10 new). [NOTE!: The 8 India playlists from the SRI India video channel are now accessible on the main SRI-Rice video channel].
Twitter: 1,520 followers (18 new this month)
Slideshare: 9,701 (10,857 last month) views new this month; 458 slideshows/posters total uploaded (1 new), 203 followers
Research Databases: There are 1,028 items in our new Zotero research database (17 new). (700+ of these appear in the Mendeley SRI Research database). Note: we are no longer adding to RefWorks as it was retired in Dec. 2015. Please use Zotero.)
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, SRI Newsletter, LinkedIn, YouTube (India), and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See: SRI-Rice Center news for updates on our program's staff, students and activities
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during October 2016: 2016, October news, September news, about us, contact us, home page, events, staff news, journal articles, seminars, SFMI, videos, Spanish docs, Cambodia, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mali, Philippines, Vietnam
News from past months
- Dandim 0825 Banyuwangi ternyata piawai membjak sawah [Military joins Dept. of Ag. in agricultural festival to plant SRI crop in East Java village.]
October 29, 2016, Times Indonesia (East Java, Indonesia)
- People need to know importance of sustainable agri practices. [Sabah Deputy Chief Minister, speaking at the “Regional Conference on Sustainable Agriculture” said Sabah needs to increase the production of rice .. which meant adopting a sustainable practice such SRI and enhancing drainage & irrigation systems.]
October 26, 2016, The Sabah Times (Sabah, Malaysia)
- Un projet innovant pour la sécurité alimentaire? Soumissionnez au second prix Olam
October 26, 2016, CommodAfrica (France)
Pulses, millets, paddy cultivation methods drawing huge crowds at Krishi Mela [SRI inevitable to conserve water.]
October 24, 2016, The Hindu (Karnataka, India)
- Olam opens entries for 2nd International Prize for Food Security Innovation [SRI-Rice won the prize last year..]
October 23, 2016, Citifmonline (Ghana / global)
- BI Bali jadikan Subak Getas Klaster Pertanian Organik [Bank Indonesia's CSR program harvested the organic rice crop in the Getas Subak in Gianyar. 28 farmers on 7.5 ha are taking place in the this project that uses only organic fertilizers and SRI combined with Jajar Legowo 2:1.]
October 22, 2016, Bisnis Indonesia (Bali, Indonesia) (See similar article in the Tribun Bali).
- Pemkab Lutim pamerkan beras organik batara guru di pekan raya Sulsel
October 22, 2016, Tribun Lutim (Sulawesi Selatan, Indonesia)
- Petani Gianyar panen padi semi-organik
October 21, 2016, Republika (Bali, Indonesia)
- Peduli lingkungan, PT BSI dampingi petani tanam padi SRI [PT Bumi Suksesindo supports SRI project in Banyuwangi as part of CSR mission.]
October 19, 2016, Times Indonesia (East Java, Indonesia)
- 'Teach farmers to cultivate paddy economically' [Karnataka Ag. Minister Gowan suggests SRI for conserving water.]
October 18, 2016, The Hindu (Karnataka, India)
- Krishi Mela to focus on cultivation of less water-intensive crops
October 15, 2016, The Hindu (Karnataka, India)
- *New technique doubles ragi yield [SRI-like Guli Vidhana system for finger millet is doubling yields in Karnataka's Haveri district.]
October 15, 2016, The Times of India (Karnataka, India)
- Seed Satyagraha: Chennai comes together to protest GM mustard [SCI suggested as a potential alternative.]
October 3, 2016, The Times of India (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Riziculture au Mali: A la croisée des innovations [Science Journalists Network (RJS) together with PASSIP brought a dozen journalists to San Sept.23- 24 to meet with farmers using SRI, which is becoming a national benchmark.]
October 1, 2016 Bamada.net (Mali)
- Hilario, Frank. 2016. Green dreams: IRRI shares the hope. iWord Affairs blog. October 27. [SRI is one of the innovations used by the he Laya Tribe Development Organisation, who works with Adivasi communities in India.]
- Prakash, Pranav. 2016. The hidden casteism of climate change reporting in India. The Quint website, Environment section. October 27.
- 2016. 多国生态农业实践:如何确保长期增产?. (Multinational eco-agriculture practices: How to ensure long-term yield increase?). 360doc website. October 26. [Chinese language article on an upcoming guide to sustainable cereal production in FAO's Save and Grow in Practice series. SRI is one of the suggested practices.]
- Demare, Holly. 2016. Olam looking for research that may change the world. World-Grain.com
- 2016. Can your science research change the world? Scale your impact with funding from the Olam Prize for work into food security. Olam website. October 12. [Looking for next Olam Prize winner. SRI-Rice won last year..]
- Mati, Bancy, and Kennedy Ouma 2016. Mrs. Lonah Akumu: One Woman’s story of resilience championing SRI in western Kenya. SRI4Women blog. October 11.
- 2016. Rice farming system equips vulnerable farmers to triple rice profits and decrease risk of trafficking. Counter Trafficking-in-Persons (CTIP) in Cambodia website. October 6.
- Maier, Von Marco. 2016. Indien: Organische landwirtschaft statt gentechnik ist erfolgreich. Contra Magazin website. October 1.
- 2016. MIT project awards innovative climate proposals, presents $10,000 prize. Climate CoLab website. [ClimateRe's carbon offsetting project to finance SRI wins honorable mention.]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during September 2016
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Singh, Jaykrit, Thomas Abraham, et al. 2014. Effect of methods of planting, genotype options and nutrient management on agronomic traits of rain-fed rice in the context of climate change AEZ-6 of FAO. New Agriculturist 25(2): 211–217
- • Seo, Jiyeon, Baekhyung Park, et al. 2016. Evaluation of SRI water management on the reduction of irrigation supply and NPS pollution in paddies. Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment 32(2): 183-190. doi:10.15681/KSWE.2016.32.2.183
- • Mgaya, A.M. et al. 2016. Integral effect of seed treatments and production systems for sustainability of rice production under acid soil. Journal of Agronomy 15(3): 122–129. doi:10.3923/ja.2016.122.129
- • Bouet, A. et al. 2016. Performance agronomique du systeme de riziculture intensive (SRI) en Cote d’Ivoire. Asian Journal of Science and Technology 7(8): 3447-3451.
- Ahmed, Mukhtar, Fayyaz-ul-Hassan, and Shakeel Ahmad. 2017. "Climate variability impact on rice production: adaptation and mitigation strategies." In Quantification of climate variability, adaptation and mitigation for agricultural sustainability. pp. 91–111. Springer International Publishing. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-32059-5_5
- • Mitchell, Anne-Marie. 2016. Examination of improved weeding technologies with smallholder rice farmers in southern Benin, West Africa. Master of Professional Studies paper, Cornell University. (45 p., 1.15MB pdf).
- • Doni, Febri, Anizan Isahak, et al. 2016. Transforming the economy of small scale rice farmers in Malaysia via system of rice intensification (SRI). Ecology, Environment and Conservation 22(3):1151-1157.
- Ma, Junhua 马俊华. 2016. The use of three-dimensional technology in system of rice intensification method-水稻种植“三围立体“强化栽培技术应用分析. China Agricultural Information-中国农业信息 3 (2016): 036.
- Huang, Yingquan 黄应权 2016. Application and practice of rice intensive cultivation technology -水稻强化栽培技术的应用与实践. Agricultural Engineering-农业工程 04(2016): 94-95.
- Dai, Jinfen.代金芬 and Cai Lanying. 蔡兰英. 2016. The comparison between three-dimensional measurement technology and the wide-and narrow-row rice cultivation technology -杂交稻三围立体栽培与宽窄行栽培对比试验示范. Primary Agricultural Technology Extension-基层农技推广 5 (2016): 014.
- Ou, Gengyou.欧根友 2016. The analysis of system of rice intensification method-水稻强化栽培技术分析. Practical Information of Rural Science and Technology-农村实用科技信息
- Li, Shuhua李淑华. 2016. Analysis the effects of different patterns of rice cultivation in Jialing District in Sichuan Province-嘉陵区水稻不同模式栽培效果分析. Agricultural Science and Technology-农业科技通讯 02 (2016): 65-67.
- Wang, Yabo 王亚波. 2016. Planting performance and Cultural techniques of "Chuanyou 6203" in Shallow Hills Region of An County, in Sichuan Province.-川优 6203’水稻在安县浅丘地区的种植表现及栽培技术. South China Agriculture-南方农业2016 年 12 (2016): 73. [accessed October 31, 2016]
- Sarkar, Satyajit, Dilip Kumar Das and Ajit Kumar Dolui. 2016. Effect of integrated nutrient management on soil fertility and yield of rice (Oryza sativa L.) under System of Rice Intensification in Indian sub-tropics. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis (online version Oct. 24) doi:10.1080/00103624.2016.1225075 [accessed October 31, 2016]
- • Pasaribu, Pinta Omas. 2016. Sifat fisiologi dan agronomi padi ratun dengan sistem salibu pada budidaya System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis. Institut Pertanian Bogor (Indonesia). (31p.,12.86MB pdf)[accessed October 31, 2016]
- • Singh, C.S., Mohit Singh, et al. 2015. Growth and yield response of rice cultivars under System of Rice Intensification and conventional method of rice production system. The Ecoscan 9(3&4): 1077-1081. [accessed October 31, 2016]
- • Gbenou, Pascal, Anne-Marie Mitchell, et al. 2016. Farmer evaluations of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) compared with conventional rice production in Benin. European Scientific Journal 12(30): 280-296. [accessed October 31, 2016]
- • Bell, Patrick Ryan. 2016. Sustainable Intensification for food security and climate change adaptation in Tanzania. PhD dissertation, The Ohio State University. (222p., 3.3MB pdf) [accessed October 31, 2016]
- • Prasad, Shambu C. 2016. Innovating at the margins: the System of Rice Intensification in India and transformative social innovation, Ecology and Society 21(4):7. doi:10.5751/ES-08718-210407 [accessed October 9, 2016]
- Shirsat, N. A., S. S. Chavan, et al. 2016. Cono weeder: An economic hand tool for women labour in paddy field. Agriculture Update 11(2): 154-157. doi:10.15740/HAS/AU/11.2/154-157. [accessed October 9, 2016]
- PRADAN. 2016. Cultivating wheat with SRI principles: A training manual manual (Punjabi edition). System of Rice Intensification website. (13p., 1.4MB pdf) [This manual resulted from the Bihar Rural Livelihood Promotion Society (BRLPS), the Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA), and the NGO PRADAN, Nalanda branch who worked together on SWI in the Gaya and Nalanda districts of Bihar.] [see also 2012 English edition.] [uploaded October 31, 2016]
- Video: 2016 (October 12). SRI Line Spacing, Madina Oula, Guinea. 1:03 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [Description of SRI field preparations by the NGO Narseme in Guinea.]
- Video: 2014 (November 14). Rice weeding in Tanzania: Innovations from the field. 3:23 min. USAIDAfrica channel, YouTube. [accessed Sept. 30, 2016. The original was on the USAID website, but we didn't have the YouTube address til now.]
- Njiru, Jean. 2016. Some observations on introduction and rapid growth of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) among smallholder farmers in Kenya. 15 slides. Presentation at the SRI-Rice seminar series. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, September 12. SRI-Rice channel, Slideshare.net.
- Shrestha, Juna, and Benjamin Huber. 2016. Carbon Offsetting to Sustainably Finance the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Nepal. 18 slides. Presentation at the SRI-Rice seminar series. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, October 4. SRI-Rice channel, Slideshare.net.
- Uphoff, Norman, and Amir Kassam. 2016. Agroecological Strategies for Regenerative, Climate-Smart Agriculture with examples from CA and SRI. 79 slides. Presentation at the World Bank, Washington, DC, September 29. SRI-Rice channel, Slideshare.net.